WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie from Louisville, KY looking at a week on the AT in July

I'm a psychologist and semi-retiring after 28 yrs in the field. Looking to do a week on the trail, somewhere with shuttle service. I'm in Louisville, KY. Any thoughts from seasoned AT folks? I'm a newbie and will have an older nephew along for the adventure. Please advise and thank you so much.
    -cc

How heat tolerant are you? July can be pretty miserable on much of the trail, especially from PA to GA.

I'm going to assume that cost isn't really an issue for you. On the one hand hiking in the White Mtns is about as hard as it gets. On the other hand the AMC has a shuttle service that can take you all over and you can stay in their huts if you want/need to.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

I would highly recommend making a short drive up to the Knobstone Trail and get some miles in. If you are unfamiliar the southern part of the KT has a series of 250' climbs and is fairly decent training.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Great! Thanks for the advice. I guess the New England portion of the trail will be cooler, right?

Images

Yes it will be cooler. I did the Presidential range of the White mountains in late July one year and it was windy a cool most of the hike. Very nice temps and awesome views.

Thanks. Sounds like a good adventure.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

As mentioned, New England should be cooler, but you will experience frequent afternoon thunderstorms there also during the summer months. The Whites and western Maine are the toughest parts of the AT due to elevation changes but also rocks, roots and mud; you will likely average one mile per hour slower than what you might in Kentucky. So, if you do decide to tackle this section, get yourself in good shape before you leave, keep your pack weight (with food and water) below 20% of your fit body weight, and don't overestimate your daily mileage potential (9-12 mile days are pretty good for a section hiker through here).

Another option might be Grayson Highlands, just north of the VA/TN border. The Highlands are above 5,000' and are gorgeous, with wild ponies. Shuttling is readily available out of Damascus, and during the summer you might also rent a bicycle and ride down the Virginia Creeper Trail one morning, or float on one of the rivers down there. From Atkins it is 75 miles to Damascus, and if you're walking quickly the AT to the south of Damascus to Roan Mountain is pretty easy.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Most of the trail has shuttle service, so it really depends on how far you wAnt to drive. Smokeys are really nice in my opinion, although you do have to register. The Grayson Highlands/ Virginia Creeper option is good. The Virginia triple crown is also a great hike. Standing Indian loop is also a nice section especially if logistics are an issue, it doesn't really need as shuttle. July will be hot in the southern portion.

I did a hike from ASP to Neel Gap last year during the 1st week in July. The heat was not a problem last year, but who knows this year. When I was a kid my family tent camped in the GSMP every year during July and the mid days could be hot, but mornings and mid to late afternoons were just right. Nights I needed a 55 degree bag both last year and when I tent camped with my family years ago. I would pick a section somewhere between Georgia and West Virginia. Have fun!!!

Consider some slack-packing around Andover, Maine. Rated on beauty and difficulty, both a 9 out of 10. Plus, you lose the White Mountain crowds. Others here can fill you in on the current details if you're interested. Suffice to say, it's a series of short sections easily doable as day hikes. For non-purists, it's the best of all worlds, almost "European style" hiking.

Abates, that is good to hear! Doing the same stretch but going on to Unicoi this July.

As long as you set a reasonable pace for yourself, the Whites in NH are the best locale for July. If you want to hike closer to home, stick to the high elevations - either the Smokies or the stretches north of Hot Springs over Big Bald, Unaka, Roan Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    How heat tolerant are you? July can be pretty miserable on much of the trail, especially from PA to GA.
    I would amend that to MA to GA.

++ New Posts ++