WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Yellow Mountain

Default Yellow Mountain

I'll soon be dayhiking between Yellow Mountain Gap and Hump Mountain. I want to extend my hike by taking the side trail to Yellow Mountain (out from the AT to Yellow Mountain bald and then back to the AT). I've been told that it's a logging road a mileish from Yellow Mountain Gap. Can anyone give me more precise mileage? Any counsel on how to spot this trail/road would be much appreciated. And, any comments on how far it is from the AT to the Yellow Mountain bald?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Looking on Google Maps, Yellow Mountain Gap (on the AT) is 0.492 miles as the crow flies from the Yellow Mountain Gap Trailhead at the end of Roaring Creek Road, so a linear mile of hiking seems reasonable, although it could be longer.

The Overmountain Trail heads up to Yellow Mountain Gap from the other side. As the crow flies it is 0.939 miles from the end of Hampton Creek Road, but the trail itself is 3.75 miles with 2,000 feet of elevation gain according to this webpage.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can get pretty close to Yellow Mtn...just about a mile away...if you take Roaring Creek Rd off Rt 19E. We stopped at Roan Mtn State Park and got very clear directions.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are actually two Yellow Mountains in the area that are part of the upcoming Yellow Mountain Natural Area. Big Yellow Mountain is right in between Roaring Creek Valley/The Barn and Little Hump. Little Yellow Mountain is south of Grassy Ridge.

But I am assuming you are talking about Big Yellow. Technically they are owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy & Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy. I know they do guided sponsored hikes to the bald summit. But I don't know if they strictly forbid individual hikes. http://www.summitpost.org/big-yellow-mountain/219074

But I believe there is some sort of access to the summit somewhere around the fields at Little Hump. There are plenty of Hawthorne trees and probably growth to make it difficult to find.

I have only walked the eastern side of Big Yellow from Little Hump for trail maintenance and that just takes you to a gated private community.

If you are looking for new ventures on Roan, try the Grassy Ridge cliffs. Go to the Grassy Ridge split and walk up to the summit and plaque. Continue on south to a small saddle/campsite area. You may have to start pushing through the rodos on a faint path out to the point and some amazing cliffs.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++