WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I've got a pair of Leki aluminum trekking poles. Maybe somebody can answer a question for me?
    These poles collapse they do not fold. So why is there a cut out in the "basket" down near the tips?
    Looks like the cut out was made to fit around a folded section of the pole. Makes no sense to me and even if I carry the poles strapped down tip-to-grip I can't find any way to use the cut out. Not a world turner but puzzling.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Same basket used on multiple pole models? Just guessing...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Where can you buy pacer poles and what is the us dollar cost? Shipping to USA is about how much if not available in us. I do not like using the straps on most poles, all it takes is to fall once with your hand stuck in the strap.
    http://www.pacerpole.com/buy-poles/buy-pacerpoles

Make note of #4. I believe shipping is included in the price.

Highly recommend these poles - VERY comfortable to use, and they offer excellent function for downhill. I've been a full-time user of these poles for about 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Same basket used on multiple pole models? Just guessing...
    Works for me.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Something else to worry about . . .

The tips likely won't make the trip. Plan on replacing them a time or two. On the BD poles they have long and short tips. The long tips bend and break quickly. Leki tips are easier to find but you can get BD tips off ebay and such.
    Great point, and agree about the long "flex" tips... The short ones are much better.

I used the black diamond alpine cork trekking poles for three months on the trail and the hinges were so rusted by the end of the trip. I wouldn't recommend them and the customer service hasn't been very helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
    I agree with not securing the straps to your wrist. I grasp the hand grip and the strap in the web between my thumb and fingers. If the pole gets stuck, I can easily release the hand grip without releasing the strap and recover the pole by the strap without breaking my stride. I also can throw the poles away from me should I need to during a tumble.
    For what its worth, beyond keeping the poles from falling at inconvenient times or irretrievable places these straps have a few uses and are important to technique. They support the wrist and allow weight bearing steps to be made without tiring the hands and forearms. I have logged a few thousand miles with poles and have yet to take a fall or stumble the poles did not provide some help for or that the poles became a hazard with.

I'm liking flip locks better than twist locks.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    For what its worth, beyond keeping the poles from falling at inconvenient times or irretrievable places these straps have a few uses and are important to technique. They support the wrist and allow weight bearing steps to be made without tiring the hands and forearms. I have logged a few thousand miles with poles and have yet to take a fall or stumble the poles did not provide some help for or that the poles became a hazard with.
    +1 to this. The straps are there for a reason - used properly they allow you to get much more benefit from the support of the poles without the wrist and arm fatigue.

One problem with twist lock is grit. Fine sand and dust can get in the threads and ruin them

I have used komperdells from Austria for about a year now. Super light, pretty tough.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

get the Black Diamond z-poles with no adjustments, no fuss, no muss. They are rock solid and the straps are great.

I use a cheap pair of Cascade Mountain Tech poles I bought off eBay. Adjustable with flick locks, definitely the best way to go, and made of a poly/carbon fibre mix, about 12" of multiple grip point soft handle. Aluminum has the edge over carbon fibre when it comes to strength but these weigh next to nothing and have supported my 225 lb frame plus a 50 lb pack without breaking on multiple occasions. The company has surprisingly good support as I discovered when I closed my car door on one of the poles. They had an option to next day deliver a replacement section.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I don't have a lot of brand loyalty for poles (my current pair are Komperdell, house-branded by one of the big outfitter chains).

What I looked for: cork grips, flick locks, NO shock absorbers, ability to put on snow baskets.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I like my Black Diamond Trail poles.

They set me back $100 but they have the features I wanted. The grips are extended and the flip locks are really robust. The poles themselves work well and even though I've cleaned them only once in a couple of hundred miles hiked in day hikes they perform flawlessly. I also liked the fact that BD included snow baskets, which not all manufacturers seem to do.

Images

I swear by my Leki's. My first Makalu's lasted over 15 years, but sadly one got carried away by the Gila River. My new set, Makalu's with twist lock, have lasted about 8 years. Leki has a customer service office in Buffalo NY. I've called there from the trail after breaking the lowest section, and they sent out a new lowest section via priority mail to the next town. Super service. Plus Leki representatives show up at Trail Days and the ADZPCTKO and give your poles a tune up, including new tips.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++