WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

In nearly 50 years of backpacking, I don't remember a single instance where a knife was absolutely needed. Even cutting cord can be done with a match/lighter. That all being said, I do carry that little 0.7 ounce swiss thing, and always will. But a screwdriver or pliers???? Never ever needed in any form. Sorry. Tweezers, mini-pick, mini-scissors and mini-knife all on the 0.7 oz swiss army knife has you completely covered.

BTW: I do subscribe to the 10 essential thing completely, but my interpretation thereof deems the swiss knife adequate. Fuzz stick? Back in the 60's in boy scouts maybe, but now I carry trioxane fire starters for emergency fires. Much quicker and works every time. Yeah, another 1.25 ounces to carry, but these puppies work so well.

I also carry a larger folding knife when I technical climb with ropes, And a leatherman when skiing, for reasons Mags stated, but not applicable here.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

but what if I encounter a Bear with a baseball bat? or a storm-trooper with a plasma riffle? Or a disgruntled ex with a chip on her shoulder?

A tiny pocket (swiss army) knife will keep me protected?

I guess I really over thought the need for a 100 item multi-tool with 47 different types of blades.

I'll look at amazon or walmart to see what looks best/lightest/cheapest.

Im glad i asked though. Otherwise I woulda brought a ton of unnecessary/heavy items.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Images

I used to carry a Leatherman wave. Had everything including saw. Found it became way too heavy and really never used anything but the blade and scissors. I now carry a fixed blade Moraknive companion. Razor sharp, very light and the most ergonomic knife I've ever held. About 12 bucks on amazon. I absolutley cannot understand why someone would not have some kind of cutting tool on the trail at all times. The lightweight durable inexpensive options available today make it a no brainer. How embarrassing would that be to need one and have to borrow, or worse yet REALLY need one and no one is around.

Cutting cord with a lighter? Can't understand that one.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

wait.... wait...... wait......

what about the..... the.... Zombie Killer!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Killer-...ds=knife+green

Are Zombies usually near the trail?

(people say that you may never see a bear on the trail, but I saw one my very first morning on the approach trail, yesterday. If you say I will never see a zombie on the trail, then chances are I'll see one next time)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    but what if I encounter a Bear with a baseball bat? or a storm-trooper with a plasma riffle? Or a disgruntled ex with a chip on her shoulder?
    Show them your tiny Swiss Army Knife, and they will know you are a Real Hiker and not to be trifled with.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I only use a small pocket knife never felt the need for a multi-tool, but Swiss Army makes a really cool mini multi-tool.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There is nothing at all wrong with a multi-tool, if you have a legitimate need for it.

Now take a close look at your gear, and count up the nuts, bolts, screws, cotterpins, and items that require prying off, turning with pliers, wire that needs cutting, etc.

What you will probably find is zero.

Take a small knife, take a tiny screwdriver if need one for battery, or something. Just don't succumb to bringing a 5oz multitool "just in case" when you can see for yourself there isnt any use for it.
    I agree with this and it took many decades for me to figure it out. Then, I took a look at my gear and asked if there was a way to change my gear so I didn't need any tools at all. It took a couple more years, but I got rid of anything that required a tool other than a small sharp blade, duct tape, and/or needle and thread to fix.

If you have a finicky stove and/or water filter, complicated pack frame, difficult electronics, fragile tent poles, carry the tools you need to maintain that stuff. Then work on paring that stuff down before your thru hike!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Yeah, usually small Leatherman on keychain. I do carry a full size in winter. Tweaking snowshoe or ski.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

how about a flashlight with a knife?...... like an LED light with a folding blade into the handle?

Anybody know anything like that? (Im trying to combine items so its less to carry)

Images

how about a flashlight with a knife?...... like an LED light with a folding blade into the handle?

Anybody know anything like that? (Im trying to combine items so its less to carry)
    Or just carry a headlamp and keep your hands free.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

right after I asked about it, I looked "knife flashlight" on amazon. They got some nice knives with a flashlight on top, so that you can shive somebody. lol

But unfortunately all those flashnights look like the size of a AAA battery attached to the knife.

and ugh, I cant beleive I forgot about the headlight. I suck.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Personally I would keep them separate. It's easy to find a good quality led keychain light and a good quality small knife, but I can't remember the last time I saw a combination tool that was worth it. Just get a photon keychain light in addition to a small knife.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Personally I would keep them separate. It's easy to find a good quality led keychain light and a good quality small knife, but I can't remember the last time I saw a combination tool that was worth it. Just get a photon keychain light in addition to a small knife.
    Okay. I agree that it would be smart to have them separate.

I was just reading online tips for ultralight backpacking where a rule is something like "if an item doesnt have atleast 2-3 purposes, find a different one)

Im not going ultralight. I just thought that was a smart idea to follow that rule. But yeah, I'll keep my knife and lights separate.

Images

I carry a leatherman mini knockoff. Once I discovered I can cut cheese with my spoon I never use it. It's for "emergency" use because it has a corkscrew.
    Last edited by bamboo bob; 06-02-2014 at 06:07.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

All I take is one pair of tweezers particularly made to remove ticks. Then a neck knife, Buck Hartsook knife. I take no other exotic tools or knives. And I have never needed them. I leave in about a couple of weeks for thru hike of CDT.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I picked up the tanto version a couple weeks ago. Extremely small and lightweight fixed blade, extremely sharp out of the box, great ergonomics, full tang with nice finish. Can be worn as a neck knife or on belt or will fit in almost any hip pocket. I would almost say that those who prefer carrying only a razor blade, this just might convert them. The other two have nice function as well. Best of all, for about 20 bucks you get strong value from them. I have been super impressed with what you can process with it.

Images

It's the CKRT folts minimilast line by the way. Picture looks a bit fuzzy. Worth checking out.

Journal Entries
    Images

that's been done...
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...e%20with%20led
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    All I take is one pair of tweezers particularly made to remove ticks. Then a neck knife, Buck Hartsook knife. I take no other exotic tools or knives. And I have never needed them. I leave in about a couple of weeks for thru hike of CDT.
    If you sprayed up with Deep Woods Off - ya would not need the tweezers... oh I apologize for that its a knife thread.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-03-2014 at 22:55.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I carry a leatherman mini knockoff. Once I discovered I can cut cheese with my spoon I never use it. It's for "emergency" use because it has a corkscrew.
    Aaron Ralston did the same thing... only he didn't whine....

Woo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++