WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Optimal performance for solar panels?

While it at first sounds simple to say "put solar panels on shelter roofs", the devil is in the details. First, the shelter would need to receive direct sunlight for many hours daily, perhaps difficult to find routinely in the "green tunnel". Second, the roof would need to oriented to best catch the sun during the weeks leading up to and following the summer solstice (I imagine a south-southeast facing planar surface at around 20 degrees off of horizontal would be ideal, depending on latitude, of course). Third, some sort of battery storage would need to be present. Fourth, vandalism, by "hikers" and by locals, not to mention outright theft, would likely render such installations useless in very short order.

Aside from the aesthetic debate, which I am firmly on the side of "no freaking way do I want to see that", it seems the real-world practicalities and the likelihood of successful implementation are zero.

AO

Journal Entries
    Images

If you don't feel comfortable being in the woods, hiking on the at, without the dependance of electrical gear than you should stay out of the woods. Many folks hike each year without having to worry about charging a phone.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    If you don't feel comfortable being in the woods, hiking on the at, without the dependance of electrical gear than you should stay out of the woods.
    This is a classic HMDH
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Let's see: 4 charging stations on a rainy, dark day when 12 hikers show up for an 8 space shelter.

How will you decide what is more important: my cell phone so I can get onto Facebook and update my status and/or continue Farmville 2? Your "gameboy" so you can continue you heroic exploits in single shooter world? His/her battery operated fan so he/she can stay cool at night? Her/his camera so she/he can continue to take selfies going down the Trail?

I think if you want the electronics, it's up to YOU to provide the power, i.e. external battery packs, extra batteries, turn the bloody thing off unless it's really needed.
    Last edited by Alligator; 05-22-2014 at 15:25. Reason: Politics
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Cut down all the trees within a 300ft radius. Problem solved

Journal Entries

Opposing solar recharging stations does nothing to prevent or discourage electronic devices being used in the wilderness, nor does having them encourage their use.

We have always traveled with our technology, the simple compass is a electromagnetic device, actually part of a very simple motor/generator which is moved by the earth's magnetic field. We also use headlamps, we use stoves with fuel and a host of synthetic fabrics and coatings. We use technology as part of our connection with nature, it helps us and makes such a journey possible and safe for many.

The smartphones are already out there and the way to extend their usage in the back country is increasing, it is here to stay, even without cell tower service it is a valuable tool that will not go away.

There is also already a shelter that offers a solar recharging station, I believe it is in Port Clinton PA. Now not all shelter locations are ideal for solar panels but some maybe and perhaps a couple of them could be a good place to try it out, see if it provides a benefit and a added degree of safety for travelers and maintainers. If needed the panels and battery can be mounted on a pole to discourage theft, and people damaging public property is very uncool to begin with, and could poses a safety hazard to others including those who help maintain the trail or even recuse efforts.

Also very ironically the people who solar charging stations would benifit the most are ones who keep their 'devices turned off'. People who frequently use electronics will have the battery capacity that they need. It's the person who plans to leave their device off who may be fine leaving town with a 50% charge, and who's battery might be aging who can find themselves in real trouble if they need to use their phones in a emergency which over the distances required to transmit in the woods to towers can very quickly deplete a weak battery.
    Last edited by Starchild; 05-22-2014 at 13:48.

Images

Great idea but wrong application . I for one say carry your own solar pack .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

quit using the word dumb, it makes you look dumb.
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested that the fed gum'mint step in and provide the power. After all, it's a Nat'l Trail, right? <sarcasm>

I'm seeing this turing into 3 distinct groups:
    1. The under 30 crowd going, "Sure I'd love to charge my phone."
    2. The Over 50 yelling, "You don't need your danged technology."
    3. The skeptics citing all the technical issues that a solar power set would have to overcome.

All 3 have valid points. No I don't need my phone, but I use it as my camera, to check in with my family, as a music player, to check the weather, twice as a GPS when I wandered off the trail, and as an ereader. I leave it OFF most of the time, to preserve the battery. Am I addicted? No. Do I enjoy mine, yes.

How do I feel about a solar power station? I wouldn't mind seeing or using one. I'd rank it somewhere on shelter amenity list between privy and hot shower. 5th or 6th on the list.
    Last edited by Alligator; 05-22-2014 at 15:25. Reason: Politics

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post

I'm seeing this turing into 3 distinct groups:
    1. The under 30 crowd going, "Sure I'd love to charge my phone."
    2. The Over 50 yelling, "You don't need your danged technology."
    3. The skeptics citing all the technical issues that a solar power set would have to overcome.

All 3 have valid points. No I don't need my phone, but I use it as my camera, to check in with my family, as a music player, to check the weather, twice as a GPS when I wandered off the trail, and as an ereader. I leave it OFF most of the time, to preserve the battery. Am I addicted? No. Do I enjoy mine, yes.

How do I feel about a solar power station? I wouldn't mind seeing or using one. I'd rank it somewhere on shelter amenity list between privy and hot shower. 5th or 6th on the list.
    Here we are having a good bit of fun trolling eachother and you have to come in and ruin it by posting something rational. Not allowed.
    Last edited by Alligator; 05-22-2014 at 15:26. Reason: Politics removed
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Here we are having a good bit of fun trolling eachother and you have to come in and ruin it by posting something rational. Not allowed.
    I click the Like Button:

Capture.JPG

Oppose solar panels. To me hiking is about being self sufficient. If you want / need electronic equipment, it is up to you to plan accordingly.

Images

Shelters are meant to keep people that either can't, or don't want, to bring their own. They are meant to keep the rain off people's heads. People that don't tent or hammock (I can't understand why but whatever), are provided a roof by others out of courtesy. Now people are talking about amenities. Sorry but if I walked up and saw someone using an electric skillet or charging their laptop at one, I would probably have to call them out as a pansy ass. I usually mind my own business but that would be tough to keep my mouth shut over

Images

*Meant to keep people out of the rain* is what it should have read.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

no offense. I like other hikers. But If I see a shelter with a solar panel, and nobody looking.... im stealing that ***** and pawning it for re-supply money.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    no offense. I like other hikers. But If I see a shelter with a solar panel, and nobody looking.... im stealing that ***** and pawning it for re-supply money.
    I hope that was all a joke.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I hope that was all a joke.
    it was.

Im assuming any shelter solar unit would be very big. and not one of those tiny ones you can carry on your backpack.

ALDHA donated some money to relocate a pavilion for hikers and install a solar charger in Waynesboro. If I'm not mistaken while the pavilion and charger have been operational it was dedicated yesterday. I don't have an specifics but the charger cost several hundred or more to purchase and install.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

only hundreds? i woulda thought thousands. not bad

Journal Entries

Solar panels are also prone to breakage and misuse and in need of repair. IMO it's not necessary and it opens up more room for those already carrying around entitlement issues. Leave the 'have it your way' at the Burger King counter.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++