Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking and pads..

How does one dispose of used pads on a hike? Stick em in a ziplock bag until you come across a trash can?
    WaxQueen

Yes. Pack them out. To cut down on odor, you can add a handful of leaves and dirt to your bag.

What do you mean "pack them out"?? Haha! Sorry if thats a stupid question! I want to make sure I understand. :P
    WaxQueen

Images

A female hiker told me that NOLS instructors told her to cover a Ziploc bag with duct tape. It will reinforce the bag plus you, or others will not see the contents. If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground...

Believe me, I'm the queen of stupid questions. All of your trash is carried out of the backcountry in your backpack and disposed of in trash cans. That's what I mean by "pack it out".

https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground...

That's a bit harsh and uncalled for.

The Cleaner, hey! Newbies gotta start somewhere! In my opinion there are only two ways to learn. Figure it out yourself or ask questions.

Thanks Traffic Jam!!
    WaxQueen

Quote Originally Posted by WaxQueen View Post
    The Cleaner, hey! Newbies gotta start somewhere! In my opinion there are only two ways to learn. Figure it out yourself or ask questions.

Thanks Traffic Jam!!
    There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
    Read a book. There are several.
    Buzz words from The Dark Ages:
    Take only photos. Leave only footprints.
    Pack it in. Pack it out.
    Leave no trace.
    Based on recent reports, the above is increasingly ignored.
    There will be little need to buy water during a half or thru hike.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
    Pack it in. Pack it out.
    Leave no trace.

Wayne

Everyone learns differently. I learn best by doing and making mistakes. Some people learn best by reading. Regardless, when someone new chooses to ask a question, they should never be made to feel like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Everyone learns differently. I learn best by doing and making mistakes. Some people learn best by reading. Regardless, when someone new chooses to ask a question, they should never be made to feel like an idiot.
    Did I do that? If so, I apologize.
    I was summarizing several years of observation on various forae with various subject matter. Independent research is a dying activity.
    In another thread the OP asked how much would they spend for food and water during a thru hike. I answered the second half of that question here. Break up the monotony.
    As for my quotes, they were, and still should be, common knowledge and followed.
    Cheers. Have fun.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I can attest to the fact that it's very difficult being a female in a male-dominated forum. On WB especially, men can be very intimidating, condescending, and rude. It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man.
    Point, set and match.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Y'all aren't reading something that I am not reading.
    Later Y'all.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Pack it in. Pack it out.
    Leave no trace.

Wayne

I did find what you say helpful Wayne. And The Cleaner too! I'm sorry if I haven't acknowledged that. I appreciate it very much. The more knowledge I can glean, I think the better prepared I can be for the trail.

At the same time, when I read "If you do not understand what " Pack out your trash" means, maybe you should stay at a campground..." from The Cleaner, and "There is also the seemingly lost art of self directed individual study ands research.
    Read a book. There are several." from Wayne, I did feel very unwelcomed. Now, I don't think that was your purpose in saying those things. Not at all. But it would help me out, if you'd put a smilie in, or suggest a book for me to read. That way I know you mean well, and want to help me succeed in hiking the AT.

As to what TrafficJam said. "I can attest to the fact that it's very difficult being a female in a male-dominated forum. On WB especially, men can be very intimidating, condescending, and rude. It's a damn shame when a woman can't ask a question in the Women's Forum without being lectured/berated/or made to feel stupid by a man."

I agree with her in the sense that I do want to be treated with a certain gentleness by men. And that goes with anywhere, not just forums. I think most(all maybe) women want to be treated with gentleness, and being quite emotional creatures(at least I know I am..) its very painful when I feel I'm not being treated so. Now, I can't expect gentleness. But I will always want it, because I feel so safe and valued when I honestly receive it.

Anyways!

I'm confused by what you say Wayne, about little need to buy water during a half or thru hike. Is there water I can get on the trail?
    WaxQueen

Thank you! I meant no harm.
    Typing on my phone is not the best way to communicate. Stand by. I will explain better from a real keyboard.
    Water is indeed plentiful along the trail. Filtering and/or treating naturally occurring water is a subject to search for at WhiteBlaze. There are many opinions.
    Wayne

Okay! I'll definitely look that up! Thank you!!
    WaxQueen

Quote Originally Posted by WaxQueen View Post
    How does one dispose of used pads on a hike? Stick em in a ziplock bag until you come across a trash can?
    I have been using reusable cloth pads for awhile now and have loved it. There's no trash with them, and I can just wash one with a little soap and have it ready to change into once it's dry. I like http://partypantspads.com. I like them so much I even use them when I'm off trail.

I actually have some cloth pads! So I could do that. I guess the difference is washing vs. carrying more trash to dispose of..
    WaxQueen

You can also look into the Diva cup.

Steep learning curve for a couple of months but I find it worth it!

Rinsing out a pad on the trail could be problematic. You don't want to be anywhere near a water source. But even if you go in the woods to wash them, you'll attract critters. That means waiting until town, which means carrying the used ones anyway.

One issue with pads is that if there is any bulk, you will get chaffing in the summer. I used tampons instead, with a light panty liner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++