Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Female SoBo v NoBo?

Hey y'all! I was wondering, are there usually a fair amount of women who do SoBo thrus? It seems like we mostly go NoBo. I'm trying to decide between NoBo and SoBo for my thru next year (hoorah! ).
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

My daughter did a solo SOBO thru in 2012. Started on June 20th and I'd say a "fair amount" of women were around her. She didn't regret going southbound for an instant.

I've never been on the trail, but trying to plan things out too! I'd always assumed I'd go NoBo, but now you've made me wondering!!! Since I'm planning for 2015, I have plenty of time to pick and choose either way..
    Now you've got me thinking that maybe SoBo would be better for me since I don't totally like the idea of being up in Maine when things get chilly. Though maybe they'd be chilly when I started off anyways..
    WaxQueen

Quote Originally Posted by WaxQueen View Post
    I've never been on the trail, but trying to plan things out too! I'd always assumed I'd go NoBo, but now you've made me wondering!!! Since I'm planning for 2015, I have plenty of time to pick and choose either way..
    Now you've got me thinking that maybe SoBo would be better for me since I don't totally like the idea of being up in Maine when things get chilly. Though maybe they'd be chilly when I started off anyways..
    It depends. Summer in Maine could be early or late.
    How fast will you hike? Fall in the South could be early or late.
    Every year is different.
    Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.
    The important thing is to do it.
    PS: Define what your idea of chilly is? Either NOBO or SOBO, 20 degree weather sometime during a thru hike is not uncommon. Unless you move fast.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Hi there,

I'm from Maine and one thing I would say is that Maine in June is very buggy and muddy. When I say bugs, I means nasty ones like black flies and noseeums. I never go into the woods in Maine without a bug net, so definitely have one of those and a long sleeved shirt. Black fly bites hurt, a lot. I suspect there will be considerable mud in the 100 mile wilderness as well.

All parts of the trail have challenges. I say this not so much to deter you, but just to make you aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It depends. Summer in Maine could be early or late.
    How fast will you hike? Fall in the South could be early or late.
    Every year is different.
    Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.
    The important thing is to do it.
    PS: Define what your idea of chilly is? Either NOBO or SOBO, 20 degree weather sometime during a thru hike is not uncommon. Unless you move fast.

Wayne

I'm not really sure how fast I hike.. Probably not very fast since I haven't had much experience. I'll know better later this summer since I plan to go on a 70 mile hike. That will give me an idea of my pace I guess. And I can set a goal of how far I want to move everyday and work towards that. Whats a good pace to shoot for??
    Yeah, I suppose theres a certain amount of uncertainty every year based on the weather.. Prepare for the worst! Check!
    20 degrees is definitely chilly. Even 30 degrees is chilly for me.. But I can handle it! Or move fast.. :P

Thanks Goonky!! I'm glad to be forewarned of those things!!!
    WaxQueen

I spent a Summer in Maine once(once!)black fly were extremely bad. I couldn't even see my target for archery. If you load up on baby oil it seems to do the trick as far as biting goes but they do stick to you. Wish I knew about bug nets back then. Other than that, the lakes were wonderful.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Cool

Moving fast means that you might complete the AT in 90 days. Not at all easy to do.
    NOBO prime warm weather would be June, July & August.
    SOBO prime weather would be July, August & September.
    Approximately. Give or take. The Nit Pickers will no doubt disagree.
    20 degrees is chilly for most of us. Equally bad, or worse, are mid-30s, wind & rain. Those conditions occurred in May this year along the TN-NC border.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

90 days sounds nice!!! Probably won't get mileage like that though.
    Thanks! I'm glad to get an idea of when the warmest weather is!!! Now I have a friend though who wants to go and the best time for them is like winter.. We'll see how this goes!!! Haha! Still got plenty of planning time I think. I'm assuming its better to start NoBo for early traveling, right? I'd think it'd be completely snowed in, at Maine.
    Oh, yeah, I suppose with mid 30s temps and wet and rainy it can chill ya to the bone, where frozen generally wouldn't be so bad..
    WaxQueen

Baxter State Park in Maine, the northern end of the AT, doesn't open until about now. Again, depending on the severity of the winter in Maine. If you start too early NOBO, you could get stuck waiting for New Hampshire and Maine to thaw out.

Wayne

I think my friend sees that as part of the adventure. We'll see!! Not sure its gonna happen!!! I'm gonna do my research though..
    WaxQueen

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Hey y'all! I was wondering, are there usually a fair amount of women who do SoBo thrus? It seems like we mostly go NoBo. I'm trying to decide between NoBo and SoBo for my thru next year (hoorah! ).
    Have you decided which way you're going yet?? Its exciting to figuring these things out!!
    WaxQueen

I think my friend sees that as part of the adventure. We'll see!! Not sure its gonna happen!!! I'm gonna do my research though..
    Winter can last a long time in the mountains of New Hampshire a Maine. Very skilled and experienced people have lost limbs, or worse, in New Hampshire and Maine in the winter. The Appalachians aren't much kinder in the middle of winter.
    When I said that Baxter State park doesn't open until this time of year, I meant that you could not finish a NOBO hike until the folks who run the park open the trail. As of today, the trail up Mt. Katahdin is closed.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/

Good luck.

Wayne

Starting/Finishing in Baxter State Park info:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/at.htm

Wayne

Images

My understanding is that the vast majority of thru hikers (male and female) go NOBO and if you're hiking SOBO, you will spend a lot of time alone, unless of course you have a companion. I was considering a SOBO because I like to be a rebel but since I will probably be hiking (mostly) alone, I'm a little concerned that I would drive myself crazy if I didn't see another soul for weeks on end.

Images

I'd really like to go SoBo, especially since last time I went NoBo. My only worries are that I won't meet as many people, and that I'll miss a few of my favorite hostels, since a couple of them are only open for the NoBo bubble. I also really having the "big finish" at Katahdin... decisions, decisions!!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Winter can last a long time in the mountains of New Hampshire a Maine. Very skilled and experienced people have lost limbs, or worse, in New Hampshire and Maine in the winter. The Appalachians aren't much kinder in the middle of winter.
    When I said that Baxter State park doesn't open until this time of year, I meant that you could not finish a NOBO hike until the folks who run the park open the trail. As of today, the trail up Mt. Katahdin is closed.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/

Good luck.

Wayne
    Yeah, its not something to take lightly!! I do understand that. We've decided to only go about half way. If it all works out. It may not. We'll see.

Thank you Wayne!! If you have any skills or tips you're willing to share with me please do! Both summer and winter backpacking. Though the winter especially. :P
    WaxQueen

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I'd really like to go SoBo, especially since last time I went NoBo. My only worries are that I won't meet as many people, and that I'll miss a few of my favorite hostels, since a couple of them are only open for the NoBo bubble. I also really having the "big finish" at Katahdin... decisions, decisions!!
    Yep! Yep! Its fun though to decide. I can see hiking and not meeting anyone could leave a person feeling oh so alone!
    WaxQueen

Yeah, its not something to take lightly!! I do understand that. We've decided to only go about half way. If it all works out. It may not. We'll see.

Thank you Wayne!! If you have any skills or tips you're willing to share with me please do! Both summer and winter backpacking. Though the winter especially. :P
    I started the thread Backpacking 101 for you. I was hoping that other folks would to to it. So far, Zip.
    I need to get out in winter myself. In the meantime, read the trip reports by TipiWalter here at WhiteBlaze. He knows winter.

Wayne

I started the thread Backpacking 101 for you. I was hoping that other folks would to to it. So far, Zip.
    I need to get out in winter myself. In the meantime, read the trip reports by TipiWalter here at WhiteBlaze. He knows winter.

Wayne

Thanks so much!!!
    WaxQueen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++