WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need a lighter pack *** Ideas ?

I have two packs...an older gregory baltoro 70 which is much too heavy and an rei ridgeline 65L which is lighter but too small on volume (I doubt the 65 L claim). Both packs are comfortable for me. I'm looking for something about 3 pounds and 65 - 70 L

I've been looking for something with a good volume that is around three pounds but I have a couple of special issues. First I don't want something that uses a foam pad as the padding or "frame". I am a hammock camper and I don't use a pad. Second, I need something that will hold my bulky hammock gear. My hammock is a clark tx-250 and its about the size of a football. I use a top quilt and and under quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Combined those are about 16L after being compressed. Third I'm not a big fan of strapping gear to the outside of my pack ... I'll do it if I have to but I'd rather not.

I am not an ultralighter but i have always been a light weight backpacker. The hammock gear is also a little heavy. I has pushed my total pack weight in the 30 to 35 pound range. The 6 pound gregory pack just weighs too much of that no matter how comfortable it is!

Normally I don't need help selecting gear but most of what may be appropriate for me is available by mail order only and that's why I'm asking for recommendations. Things I've studied online: Golite Jam (35 lb load is too much -i'll always be at the top edge of load rating), Golite quest (maybe but many reviews of poor durability for golite packs), rei flash 62 (maybe too small in volume -otherwise ok for price), ula circuit (best option I've found if my gear will fit, pretty expensive), gossamer gear mariposa (nice but better for an ultralighter)

Images

I have the ULA catalyst, I like it a lot, also a hammock camper.

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    I have the ULA catalyst, I like it a lot, also a hammock camper.
    I have an 11 foot DIY gathered end hammock (no bug net) which is light and compact and a clark tx-250 which is heavy and bulky but super comfortable. The clark takes up the space (and weight) of 4 or 5 simple hammocks. I didn't really anticipate the issues it would cause with my gear in weight and having room for it.

The catalyst looks like a nice pack. Its a little heavier than I want but that one is on my list too. I just didn't mention it because I'm almost positive it will work for me.

Images

Granite Gear Crown VC-34 oz. , 60 L, best of my 7 packs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Thanks, that one is on my list too but I forgot to mention it. I tried a granite gear pack on once at REI to see how it felt and I really liked it.

Why do you prefer it over the ULA circuit? The only reason I ask is to know your reason for choosing it over another highly rated pack? I'm fairly particular about my gear and its tough for me to buy something sight unseen. I'm afraid most of the granite gear packs may be a little too small for me but I'm not sure.

That gets back to the essence of my question ... I have some bulky hammock gear that I'm committed to (the hammock and quilts were super expensive) and my main concern is finding a lightweight pack that it will all fit into.

Most of the hikers I saw at TD were using either the ULA or the Osprey packs. I did however really like the ULA packs I saw. I have a Jam 50 that I like but not sure if they come in large capacity or not.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Why do you prefer it over the ULA circuit? The only reason I ask is to know your reason for choosing it over another highly rated pack? I'm fairly particular about my gear and its tough for me to buy something sight unseen. I'm afraid most of the granite gear packs may be a little too small for me but I'm not sure.
    Litetrek, ULA shows Mountain Crossings as a retailer of their products, and Blairsville appears to be a 2 hour drive from Atlanta. Why not call ahead to see if they have the Circuit and Catalyst in stock and go up and check them out?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Litetrek, ULA shows Mountain Crossings as a retailer of their products, and Blairsville appears to be a 2 hour drive from Atlanta. Why not call ahead to see if they have the Circuit and Catalyst in stock and go up and check them out?
    Thanks. There are a couple places in North Georgia that stock ULA products. I had planned to check one of them out IF I decide to go with ULA.

I think the Mariposa will actually suit your needs and save a bit of weight. It holds a lot.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I think the Mariposa will actually suit your needs and save a bit of weight. It holds a lot.
    I'll check it out more closely. Thanks. My initial impression was that it's more for an ultralighter than a light weight backpacking guy, but I didn't look that closely.

I caught the outdoor bug in the Allegheny National Forest and the Tionesta River not far from you. I'm from NW PA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome Litetrek... I started to look up weights and cubic sizes for you but I like Gregory's latest packs. They are ul due to better materials... Your old one is best donated to the boy scouts local troop as they need gear for the needy that join and don't have the money for the gear to go on a trip.

I am near Valley Forge PA.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Welcome Litetrek... I started to look up weights and cubic sizes for you but I like Gregory's latest packs. They are ul due to better materials... Your old one is best donated to the boy scouts local troop as they need gear for the needy that join and don't have the money for the gear to go on a trip.

I am near Valley Forge PA.
    Thanks for the idea. I really like the Baltoro, its just too heavy for a long distance hike. 6 pounds out of a total of around 30 to 35 is too much.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I really like my GG Crown VC. I also have a ULA Circuit but it doesn't have the shoulder padding the GG has. I gave it to my son, he likes it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Thanks. There are a couple places in North Georgia that stock ULA products. I had planned to check one of them out IF I decide to go with ULA.
    Shouldn't you check out the ULA packs in person before deciding?
    Have you considered Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs?
    http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/
    The Rivendell Mountain Works Giant Jensen backpack should be large enough to handle your gear. I have owned the standard Jensen pack since 1974. It is light, sturdy and works for me.
    http://www.rivendellmountainworks.co.../jensen-packs/

Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Osprey Volt 60 is about 3 3/4 lbs and is fully adjustable.

Whatever you do, try the pack on before you buy. I tried that GG everyone is raving about, and it didn't feel right on me. Ended up getting an Osprey Talon 44, which actually holds more than the Volt 60 imo! lol

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have a GoLite Jam 50 which fits all my gear but I can tell you at 35 it's not comfortable. Sorry I don't have a better recommendation for what TO buy but at least I can help you out with what NOT to I love my Jam by the way but my shoulders scream when I'm carrying 25 pounds of food plus gear for the kiddos.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries

I have the REI Flash 62 and loved it for my thru hike and beyond. Needed 2 extra strap 'stays' for the waist belt to keep it from loosening. Never was lacking internal space, I am convinced that if needed you can find some space beyond what they state due to the 'kangaroo pouch' section which can be set to hold quite a bit extra if & when needed. It also has 2 straps to attach more below again if needed.

Besides the needing to augment the waist strap, some people are too skinny for it, I think REI makes a smaller one if you ask. The side pockets could be bigger. Some people find it uncomfortable. From those I asked it was that you love this pack or hate it, nothing inbetween.

My known pack weight ranged from 11lbs to 27 lbs depending on season and water/food load-outs, so in short wherever I found a scale. (so that is not baseweight but actual)
    Last edited by Starchild; 05-27-2014 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The Rivendell Mountain Works Giant Jensen backpack should be large enough to handle your gear. I have owned the standard Jensen pack since 1974. It is light, sturdy and works for me.

Good luck!

Wayne
    Yes. I've been backpacking for 40 years. I won't buy a pack without trying it first. That is a bit difficult to do when looking at lightweight packs since most of them arent carried in stores. That's why I asked for opinions so I can reduce the "long distance" try outs, if possible. For example, I've eliminated the GOLITE JAM because based on people's comments I'm convinced it won't carry the load i generally take.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Good luck!

Wayne
    Didn't know about either of those options. Thank you for the information

Fair enough. Help me understand where you hope to end up. In addition to the Jensen pack, I also own a Dana Design Terraplane. I too have considered a lighter replacement for the Dana pack.
    If you buy a 3 pound pack, you will still be at 32 pounds on occasion. How much of that weight will be food & water for how many days?
    In my case, in spring or fall and a 20 degree bag, I would use the Jensen pack for up to a week. In colder weather (winter bag & clothes) or desert (hauling water) conditions, the Dana pack comes into use. I would love to find a 3 pound pack that can handle 35 pounds with ease. Based on what I read online, the packs mentioned in this thread have trouble with 30 pounds.
    Clarification: I would use the Terraplane capacity for the extra bulk of winter gear or water hauling.
    Let me know what pack you find that handles bulk and an honest 30+ pounds with ease.
    Thanks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++