WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well some lids are the skillet, when it comes to backpacking cookware... I like the premise, I think at 8oz dried it can be divided into 4 oz glad bags, and toss the container. boil water and stuff into cozy... drain and eat maybe add some butter buds or ghee*, forget the skillet! Make Bamboo Bob smile like there is no tomorrow!

yea might work but We are on board with the simplicity of freezer bag cooking.

*I haven't tried or tested this yet. It's an idea.
    A'int FBC grand! (I would also add a splash of sriracha,diced onion &garlic)
    Last edited by Farr Away; 06-17-2014 at 15:20.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I would just simmer for a few minutes in water then cozy the pot for 10 or 15 minutes. Should work. Add a big squirt of butter or oil. The cheese would be my preference.

Need to try these.
    Realize that these are raw potatoes. The require about 15 minutes of soaking in warm water just to re-hydrate shredded raw potatoes.
    Would a few minutes simmering and standing in a cozy realy manage to cook them?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Realize that these are raw potatoes. The require about 15 minutes of soaking in warm water just to re-hydrate shredded raw potatoes.
    Would a few minutes simmering and standing in a cozy realy manage to cook them?
    The instructions on the box tell you to pour boiling water into the carton and close it up for 12 minutes before cooking them in a skillet. This rehydrates them. I believe they are already cooked and then dehydrated when you get them off the shelf at the grocery store. You are just rehydrating them and crisping them up.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

I've used them by throwing it into a soup. Nice
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Hungry Jack seems to make good stuff in general.
    I watched the you tube
    looks like mashed potatoes to me.
    But calling them hash browns is a good way to get people to try fried mashed potatoes

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    The instructions on the box tell you to pour boiling water into the carton and close it up for 12 minutes before cooking them in a skillet. This rehydrates them. I believe they are already cooked and then dehydrated when you get them off the shelf at the grocery store. You are just rehydrating them and crisping them up.
    It just so happens that I found this exact same product and tried it at home about 2 days before this post was started.

First of all, you don't need 'boiling' water. The instructions say "at least 120º".
    Second of all, they seemed pretty raw to me once they were re-hydrated.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Hungry Jack seems to make good stuff in general.
    I watched the you tube
    looks like mashed potatoes to me.
    But calling them hash browns is a good way to get people to try fried mashed potatoes
    No, they are hash browns... well, ok, they are finely grated potatoes. But they are NOT mash potatos.

I don't carry a thermometer in my pack. But if you're going to take the temperature of the water just make sure you only soak them for 12 minutes as it says on the box, and not 15. Perhaps if you followed the directions they wouldn't taste raw when you were done cooking them.

Images

i ve found for backpacking it helps to reduce the soak time by about 1/3 or in half, they hold their shape better for frying.

I found these at my local store and tried them out this weekend, they were excellent. As another poster said, the package makes a surprising amount of potatoes once re-hydrated. In fact, the first store I went looking for them, I almost overlooked the package because it was so much smaller than I expected. Should pack really well though.

flyguync, there is no link
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Wandering grocery aisles this afternoon and spotted these --
    Attachment 27138

I'd not seen this product before, and thought that it might be of interest to someone here; especially someone who may not want to dehydrate their own. They're dried hashbrown potatoes packaged in a carton that is approximately 1 pint in size with 4 ounces of product. The intended use is to rehydrate with hot water in the carton, and then to fry in a skillet.

Company video -- http://hungryjackpotatoes.com/recipe-videos/
    This is what we are talking about. Can't folks survive without links????????????? I just went to the grocery stre and found them on the same shelf with instant mashed potatoes. A link wouldn't work in the grocery store.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The carton is the same size that a half pint of whipping cream comes in.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++