WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Hiking female alone....

Ive always been the kind to dive into things not worrying about the consequences. Ive been wanting to travel the AT for quite some time now and just took a week trip through the AT in northern Virginia. It was quite easy and enjoyable except for the part of having a partner. Id like to complete the AT relatively alone only hooking up with people i meet along the way or plan to meet to hike a state or such. Im only 21 but ive been backpacking since i was 10 and camping alone since i was 15. Bad idea???? I really really really want to do it (ha ha does that make a difference)

Do it. Be aware. Life's short. Kick maximum ass.

Images

As Mark Twain says:

"What lies before you & what lies behind you pales insignificant when compared to what lies within you. 20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

I wish I had heard / listened to that when I was your age. For it is now over "20 years from now" for me. I have had a good life, but, , , It would have been easier to hike 2,000 miles at 21 than at 51.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

There's risk with everything in life, so if it's your time to go, at least go doing something you love! Plus, statistically hiking is much safer than society. At least from people.. Do it! You'll never regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbohiker
    Ive always been the kind to dive into things not worrying about the consequences. Ive been wanting to travel the AT for quite some time now and just took a week trip through the AT in northern Virginia. It was quite easy and enjoyable except for the part of having a partner. Id like to complete the AT relatively alone only hooking up with people i meet along the way or plan to meet to hike a state or such. Im only 21 but ive been backpacking since i was 10 and camping alone since i was 15. Bad idea???? I really really really want to do it (ha ha does that make a difference)
    Go for it. You will find plenty of people to hike with and around the first week out, if you want.

I did both of my trips starting alone, and rarely had a problem.

Be careful on hitches, though. Use your head, and common sense.

If you look at the "Health, Safety, and Hygeine" section of Whiteblaze, there's a thread dealing with safety on the Trail. There are a few idiot comments there, but I seem to remember that there was some useful info as well.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Go for it. I and many other women hiked the AT alone. Use your intuition and have a good time. Sue
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Journal Entries
    Images

you'll never know what is at the next turn in the trail until you have walked there alone.............

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

I'm a section hiker... but often travel solo while backpacking. As others said, use your intuition... if a spot doesn't feel quite right, hike on. (I've done this once or twice... probably nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.) That said, I've never had a problem and have met some terrific people on the trail.

- Ivy

Images

I'm a guy (kind of a big guy at that) but the Number One question everyone always asks me when I tell them about backpacking on the AT is "You don't go by yourself do you?" I then have to tell them that in fact I do but that one is never really "alone" on the AT during the regular season.

Granted, I can't truly appreciate what it must be like from the female perspective, but I would just echo what's already been said: Stay aware of your surroundings and trust your instinct/gut. That being said, if my younger sister wanted to go alone, I would probably tell her to take some pepper spray "just in case". But that's the older brother talking. Use your head, you'll do fine. Just don't let anxiety keep you from doing what you obviously enjoy.

I hiked the AT twice. The first hike I was completely solo - hiking with folks for days or weeks at a time, but never in any regular partnership. The second hike I started solo, but ended up with a partner midway. I never felt afraid on the AT. There are so many other hikers out there who share your dream of hiking to Katahdin, that you really aren't alone unless you try to be. (Actually, that was a bigger problem for me than feeling vulnerable. I had a hard time finding solitude until the crowds thinned out.)

Journal Entries
    Images

I wouldn't disagree with D'Artagnion's advice about pepper spray. If you do go that route, I'd get the highest concentatration OC product I could find (might be best to go to a gun shop). I'd also consider that states like my own require a permit-- so best not to spray a yapping chihuaua here.

It might be worth noting that most of the very serious crimes committed in the backcountry have been against couples, either two women or a man and a woman, and not against a solo hiker. Also worth noting is that most serious crimes have taken place at shelters.

Not sure how much to read into that. My observation may have more to do with who is out there camping than anything else. Still, in a creepy situation I do think that camping in a group of 3 is a much better number than 2-- even if one of the two is a guy.

When I camp off trail, I feel more comfortable (and relaxed) camping off trail with the knowledge no one else will know we are there. For this reason, I will never replace my grey tent with a yellow one. For the same reason, I won't hang my bear bag with reflective triptease line. Probably doesn't make us any safer, but just feeling safer is a good thing.

Rick B
    Last edited by rickb; 09-28-2005 at 10:52.

Journal Entries
    Images

One word of warning.

Be careful of quiet guys (like me) sitting alone in a shelter.

My future wife, Jen, wasn't on her solo weekend hike, and is now serving year #14 of a life sentence.

Rick B

Have a great adventure. The trail is a safe place-- and more during the thick of thru hiking season. I think some of the challenge is just doing things that make you feel as comfortable as possible, so that you enjoy it to the utmost.
    Last edited by rickb; 09-28-2005 at 11:13.

Images

Default Go for it.........

Go for it - I haked the AT solo - made great friends along the way, they are all currently still my BEST Friends. You can choose to do want you want to. There will be plenty of people out there looking out for each other. It is all your choice - you can let people pass you, you can choose to hike along with others or you can leave them in the dust. There is very little I fear on the AT.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    When I camp off trail, I feel more comfortable (and relaxed) camping off trail with the knowledge no one else will know we are there. For this reason, I will never replace my grey tent with a yellow one. For the same reason,
    Not to hijack this thread, but your point is interesting. I typicaly only carry "loud" gear (yellow pack, red shirt, orange tarp, red vest, etc.) just so I can be seen (or found) for safety reasons. Whereas you do NOT carry loud colors for safety reasons. Very interesting...

Never thought of that before...
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

I've hiked and camped solo since I was young girl. I'm 48 now, and not once has anything ever happened. And I've been around too. Once in a while I would be awakened at night from the sounds of animals scurrying but I used common sense. Go hike.

Images

hike on sista....hike on

I second, third, fourth, etc. the above; DO IT.
    mini-m.

Day Tripper GAME '05

Okay, maybe it's pointless to re-iterate everything that everyone's said already, so I'll be brief: I hiked the AT "alone" this year and it was not only safe (if you feel uncomfortable around someone, just walk away from them), but a much fuller experience than if I had started with a partner. For the record, I did carry mace from Springer to Katahdin, but I resented it 99% of the time.
    Anyway, go and be smart about it. The Trail takes care of you.
    Best, Day Tripper.

tideblazer
    Images

"Don't think twice it's alright" -Robert Zimmerman
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++