WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amount of H20 required for re hydration ???

So I cooked, pulverized and dehydrated some pinto beans to make some "bark" for re-fried beans. It came out ok, little bland, but something I hadn't planned for was...how much water to add back in when re-hydrating to get it to a re-fried beans consistency. The way I went about it was to get one the pre-made packages of dehydrated food I had laying around (chili mac) and see what it required, weight to ounces of water, just as a jumping off point...surprisingly that worked pretty well. (now the question)...

If making say a stew, or chili with different size pieces, of meat or veggies, rice or what have you, and those requiring different amounts of volumes of water to re-hydrating, how does one know how much to add.

Is there a formula or general rule in re-hydrating that I have just missed in my readings?

What do you DIY home dehydrators do?

thanks, guessing in gastronomy

The short answer is: I don't know.

And I've never really tried to figure it out. My primary dinner meals are rice with a bunch of dehydrated ingredients, everything from various types of Jerky to a multitude of veggies. I have always just put too much water in and made a stew out of it. That was primarily because I didn't want to have a pot that needed a lot of cleaning.

However, I found that rehydrating everything, except the jerky, can be overdone. I use to throw my veggies in the pot when I first started boiling the water, but I found that that over-cooked the veggies, taking away the flavor. I now throw the veggies in when the rice is about half done and they are perfectly rehydrated and full of taste. Another reason to make a stew, then you don't have to figure out the perfect rehydration method, but it's been my experience that in rehydrating it's better to under rehydrate than over rehydrate (i.e. overcook), which is easy to do. It's a trial and error thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So I cooked, pulverized and dehydrated some pinto beans to make some "bark" for re-fried beans. It came out ok, little bland...
    BTW, I found that there are two ways to make dehydrated food bland, one I already mentioned above (over rehydrating) and the other is over dehydrating.

I've never dehydrated pinto beans, so I can't really comment on that, but WRT to most other dehydrated foods it is very important to NOT overdehydrate them to the point of being brittle, including Jerky. They should be supple and pliable; this also helps to preserve the foods nutritional value.

The solution:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+refried+beans

Want me to send you a case from HEB?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    The short answer is: I don't know.

And I've never really tried to figure it out. My primary dinner meals are rice with a bunch of dehydrated ingredients, everything from various types of Jerky to a multitude of veggies. I have always just put too much water in and made a stew out of it. That was primarily because I didn't want to have a pot that needed a lot of cleaning.

However, I found that rehydrating everything, except the jerky, can be overdone. I use to throw my veggies in the pot when I first started boiling the water, but I found that that over-cooked the veggies, taking away the flavor. I now throw the veggies in when the rice is about half done and they are perfectly rehydrated and full of taste. Another reason to make a stew, then you don't have to figure out the perfect rehydration method, but it's been my experience that in rehydrating it's better to under rehydrate than over rehydrate (i.e. overcook), which is easy to do. It's a trial and error thing.
    Yep, I like Stews and just wanting to avoid ending up with a Chutney and having to then add more water, then to find out I've ended up with a mess on my hands(not that I wouldn't eat a mess) hehe. Experimentation always gits er done, just thought maybe I had missed the obvious in my pokings around,

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    BTW, I found that there are two ways to make dehydrated food bland, one I already mentioned above (over rehydrating) and the other is over dehydrating.

I've never dehydrated pinto beans, so I can't really comment on that, but WRT to most other dehydrated foods it is very important to NOT overdehydrate them to the point of being brittle, including Jerky. They should be supple and pliable; this also helps to preserve the foods nutritional value.
    This is likely a great source of my blandness, as my dehydrator is from the 80's, no fan, no heat control...I just plug it in a dry the devil out of it. Perhaps I need to practice on pulling the pin/plug sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The solution:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+refried+beans

Want me to send you a case from HEB?

Wayne
    Thanks Wayne what a nice offer, kinda just wanting to do it myself, though what a great resource with in that link, had no idea there were that many different varieties of refried beans and I'll likely try some of those in the future. Oddly enough while perusing the images link, I was able to see the instruction on one of the packages where a 1:1 ratio is recommended for the beans...Cool

https://www.google.com/search?q=instant+refried+beans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sour ce=univ&sa=X&ei=UjebU6L1H4ucyASg0YGQBA&ved=0CFIQ7A k&biw=1242&bih=585&dpr=1.1#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc= 1GcmdtnykdG7MM%253A%3B3hwSGYH_6B-k5M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fww1.prweb.com%252Fprfiles %252F2013%252F05%252F22%252F10757210%252FSanta_Fe_ Culinary.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.prweb.com%25 2Freleases%252FInstantRefriedBeans%252FSantaFeBean Company%252Fprweb10757210.htm%3B441%3B520
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-13-2014 at 14:04.

Socks-
    Like all rules of thumb, there are four other fingers on the attached hand to consider, but generally speaking 2-1 for soups (water to food), 1-1 for solid foods.

I am also guilty of the over dehydration problem- other than a $$$$excaliber- one of them fancy dancy "look neighbor's I'm not on vacation" outlet timers to shut it off is the best option. Shuffling the trays once per hour is unfortunately mandatory for the fanless models though.

For over hydration- Oregeno, dried chiptole flakes, garlic salt solve many problems. When in doubt go with the nuclear option- hot sauce.

You can try weighing your food before and after dehydration. The difference is the water weight. I usually go a little less when I'm re-hydrating.

Another way is to measure out servings onto your trays. For example, I put half cups of salsa on my trays, then bag the leather in snack bags that I write "makes 1/2 cup" on.

-FA

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Socks-
    Like all rules of thumb, there are four other fingers on the attached hand to consider, but generally speaking 2-1 for soups (water to food), 1-1 for solid foods.

I am also guilty of the over dehydration problem- other than a $$$$excaliber- one of them fancy dancy "look neighbor's I'm not on vacation" outlet timers to shut it off is the best option. Shuffling the trays once per hour is unfortunately mandatory for the fanless models though.

For over hydration- Oregeno, dried chiptole flakes, garlic salt solve many problems. When in doubt go with the nuclear option- hot sauce.
    "Like all rules of thumb, there are four other fingers on the attached hand to consider"

"generally speaking 2-1 for soups (water to food), 1-1 for solid foods"

...I like it
    ...and the hot sauce idea toatomic.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    You can try weighing your food before and after dehydration. The difference is the water weight. I usually go a little less when I'm re-hydrating.

Another way is to measure out servings onto your trays. For example, I put half cups of salsa on my trays, then bag the leather in snack bags that I write "makes 1/2 cup" on.

-FA
    "You can try weighing your food before and after dehydration. The difference is the water weight"

Brilliant!
    I have the technology to do that, thanks -FA
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-13-2014 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post

-FA
    This and for something like dehydrated spaghetti or chili dinner I just put the dry food in my pot then add water to just cover it. Heat until boiling, put in the cozy and let it sit. If there's not enough water after ten minutes, add some more, re-heat. If there's excess water, I'll bring it back to a boil with no lid and let the excess water boil off.

If it's a stew then you can always throw some thickener at it if you're fussy about consistency. Tomato paste works well, so does either flour or cornstarch.

Default Amount of H20 required for re hydration ???

I'm the same as Farr Away...I weigh whatever I'm going to dehydrate first, then weigh it again post-dehydration. The difference in weight is the amount of water I add when rehydrating. This has served me well over the years with freezer bag cooking, Sometimes it's a little off, but not enough to make a difference, in my opinion...I'm usually hungry as hell and the fact that it may be a little dry or a little wet really doesn't phase me.

Quote Originally Posted by chfdwolfpack View Post
    I'm the same as Farr Away...I weigh whatever I'm going to dehydrate first, then weigh it again post-dehydration. The difference in weight is the amount of water I add when rehydrating. This has served me well over the years with freezer bag cooking, Sometimes it's a little off, but not enough to make a difference, in my opinion...I'm usually hungry as hell and the fact that it may be a little dry or a little wet really doesn't phase me.
    ah better still, weigh for and aft, yep just wanted to avoid having a refried bean "Slurpee"...although that could be pretty tasty too.

...Now, re-reading Far Away's post, I see she mentions before and aft....Thanks again folks

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So I cooked, pulverized and dehydrated some pinto beans to make some "bark" for re-fried beans. It came out ok, little bland, but something I hadn't planned for was...how much water to add back in when re-hydrating to get it to a re-fried beans consistency. The way I went about it was to get one the pre-made packages of dehydrated food I had laying around (chili mac) and see what it required, weight to ounces of water, just as a jumping off point...surprisingly that worked pretty well. (now the question)...

If making say a stew, or chili with different size pieces, of meat or veggies, rice or what have you, and those requiring different amounts of volumes of water to re-hydrating, how does one know how much to add.

Is there a formula or general rule in re-hydrating that I have just missed in my readings?

What do you DIY home dehydrators do?

thanks, guessing in gastronomy
    The scientific way to determine that woudl be to weigh it before you dehydrate it. Then weight it after you dehydrate it. The difference in weight is the number of grams of water you need to use. A gram of water=a ml of water. Add a little extra, and you should be good to go.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    The scientific way to determine that woudl be to weigh it before you dehydrate it. Then weight it after you dehydrate it. The difference in weight is the number of grams of water you need to use. A gram of water=a ml of water. Add a little extra, and you should be good to go.
    My dried and thirsty beans thank you.

Data point: 6 ounce package instant refrained beans. 2 1/2 cups water.
    I have an unopened bag of instant refried beans in Houston. I will check the water ratio when I get back. Time to start sampling the stuff I have been squirreling away.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Data point: 6 ounce package instant refrained beans. 2 1/2 cups water.
    I have an unopened bag of instant refried beans in Houston. I will check the water ratio when I get back. Time to start sampling the stuff I have been squirreling away.

Wayne

I checked two more brands, the one in my pantry and a fancy organic, GF version. No correlation between weight of beans and volume of water. I give up.
    I did find the hashbrowns from the other thread. Planning a beans and hashbrowns hiker burrito this week.

Wayne

er ya go, thanks Wayne!

Journal Entries
    Images

I always go a few ozs. less that the directions call for. I have friends who go a few more. Product with no directions I test at home.

For you sir and any others- one of the best general resources- although the specific answer you wanted is more recipe by recipe-
    http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html

++ New Posts ++