WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

43. I did the 3 state challenge with a buddy a few years back. PenMar to Harpers Ferry. I think my buddy could have done at least 10 more, but I was spent.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

50 miles on a Batona Trail end-end hike in about 18 hrs. I think I've done 60+ in some 24 hr ROGAINE races (all walking).

ON our SOBO (supported) hike in the winter of 2001/2002, we did 39.3 on Dec 21 (biggest miles on the shortest day) and finished about 5PM.
    But, on a speedhike of the JMT in 2000, we did 70 miles in about 27 hours to finish.
    Afterwards, I was in a line for an AYCE, and they tried to throw me out, thinking I was a homeless guy. I guess I looked pretty bad.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

27ish on a day hike over Max Patch. Hit close to this several times in 24 hour period (bridging 2 days).

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, bridging 2 days for 24hrs is kinda less exciting... because you can walk all day, and then only sleep a few hours and then continue in the morning.

How much we can hike before legs giving out and us calling it a night is different. Sleep re-engergizes us.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Garlic
    Images

From dawn to dusk, I can keep a steady 30 miles per day, and have done 100 miles in three days before. I just don't like pushing long days for the sake of a personal record, because I always want to be able to hike well the next day. I've heard Mags say something like it's not so important how many miles you can make in one day--it's how many miles you can make the second day.

In the biking world there's a thing called a S24O, or sub 24-hour overnighter. I often do something similar on a hiking trip--take off at noon one day and return by noon the next day. Trips like that I can cover 40+ miles easily and can sometimes hit a 2 mph average including a decent night's sleep, but I have never exceeded 50. But I'll be able to do it again the next day.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

27.2 . It was before I realized that not making it to the next shelter wasn't a deal breaker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I've heard Mags say something like it's not so important how many miles you can make in one day--it's how many miles you can make the second day.
    I also agree completely with this.

Ricky,
    as far as hiking the Georgia Loop, there's a reason they call it the toughest hike in Georgia. there is almost 16k feet of elevation gain and the same loss. It makes the approach trail seem like a cakewalk. It would not be high on my list for a beginner multiday hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ... I've heard Mags say something like it's not so important how many miles you can make in one day--it's how many miles you can make the second day...
    We're not talking strictly on the AT are we??? I didn't think so, but it reminds me: I just remembered the stupidest thing I've ever done, mentally blocked it out because it was so painful: there is a trail in Denver called the Highline Canal trail (a tow-path which follows an old irrigation canal), 70 miles from Waterton canyon (where the CT starts) to DIA (Denver airport). Even though as the crow flies it's about 35 miles, it winds around through the city along a serpentine route for 70 miles, maybe 70% soft surface, 30% paved. I walked that damn thing in it's entirety in 23 hours 45 minutes with Gerry and Jennifer Roach (we were determined to break 24 hours and we barely did), and maybe 20 others who did it partially.

Stupid! the next day was Easter and my feet were so beat up, I don't think I walked more than 20 feet the entire day. Sore feet for a couple weeks. Stupid! But strangely, "fun". All these ultra things are somehow "fun". Emphasis on the quotes.

44 miles i did the 4 state challenge in 06 and attempted it again in 2012 and came up 2 miles short, but when i am on a Thru-Hike i do between 20-30 MPD every day, day in and day out no matter what the terrain is like. How many Zero's did your friend have to take to recupperate from the 60 miles ?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    ...How many Zero's did your friend have to take to recuperate from the 60 miles ?
    That reminds me of a guy I met on the AT as he started hiking 50 miles in one day in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. He did it as part bar bet and part fundraiser, a chance to get friends to donate over $5000 to charity sometime during his AT thru. He was successful. I passed him the next day as he was nursing his beat-up feet at a shelter and I gave him some supplies from my first aid kit. He was going to be out of commission for at least another day. It was a great philanthropic and personal challenge, but hardly a good strategy for his thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
    How did you do that without dying of boredom?
    ive done 16 miles of the C&O. That was pushing the limits of my sanity.
    I've done about 60 miles of the C&O. If I do the rest, it will be on a bicycle.

As for the original question, 20 miles, two different times. Once on the C&O, once on the AT.

Folks are routinely doing the pemi loop in the whites in under 24 hours. About 1/3 of the loop is the AT over Franconia Ridge over to Garfield and Guyot before splitting off and heading over to the Bonds and back to where they started. Some folks are running it in around 8 hours.

I completed a 40 mile hike in a little under 24 hours last week. In an adventure race I have probably done 30-40 in 24 hour period and 50-60 overall, though it is really hard to count miles when you are not on trails, getting lost and not sleeping.

I did 31 miles from Bryds Nest shelter to hwy 522 Front Royal last week. 123 over 6 days from Simmons Gap to Harpers Ferry.

38 miles in the Smokies. Averaged 2.8mph.

Ryan

Images

Forty in 24. my error it was 40 miles in 30 hours. I'm on the fast side, but not that fast.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by jimmyjam; 06-02-2014 at 12:09.

Journal Entries

28 miles. By accident. I lived in Mendocino County and had a few days off so I took off for the Redwoods National Park. I already had a hike planned but I noticed a short hike on the way so I stopped and did that trail. I went on to the Redwoods. Parked and began the hike. I miscalculated since I had not planned on the trail being so steep. I knew the mileage but I didn't know the elevation since it didn't state the elevation in the book I was referring to. I never did that again. My legs hurt for a week and it didn't help any that I worked on the fifth floor of the court house which had mezzanine floors without an elevator. Nice. I learned that lesson.

I ran Leadville one year and the following day, we went to start a 100 mile section of the CDT (Wiminuche from Wolf Creek pass to Silverton),
    Only did 8 miles that first day.
    But we were doing 25's in about 3-4 days
    Love Colorado.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

24.2 miles on the Black Creek Trail, lower Mississippi below Hattiesburg last fall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++