WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb Are rain pants really necessary?

I've been told to leave them at home. I have a rain jacket and synthetic pants/smartwool socks

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes!!!

We were about 3 miles from completing a 3 night hike when we could hear the pouring rain coming up the mountain towards us. Since we didn't have long to get back to the car, we just tossed our rain jackets over our heads and pack poncho style and skipped taking the time to slip into some rain pants. We were rained on for about 15 minutes... but within 5 I had wet feet. By the time we took boots off at the car, I wrung out about a cup of water from my socks.

So if you want to keep rain out of your boots, you either need rain pants or a set of gaiters.

For me in the warmer months rain pants are not necessary but i do wear Gaitors with a light weight rain coat, and in the colder months rain pants is a diffenant yes and gaitors, what i have seen alot of people do is wear Rain Kilts with rain coat but it's all up to you what you feel comfortable with.

No, never have worn them or needed them. If I worn rain pants I'd be sweating bullets within 100 yards.

Images

Only to keep warm in cold windy places do you need rain pants. But you really do need them in laundromats.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

I take rain pants in cold weather. I think it's dangerous to hike in cold, wet conditions (35 and raining hard) without some way of retaining heat.

In summer I go without or bring a silnylon rain kilt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

what are gaiters/gators?

can you post a link?
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

My Dri Ducks rain pants were worse than useless on the AT in mid-late April. Worse because I got more wet with them on than without them. However, the conclusion I've come to is not that rain pants are useless but that they are not useful in temperatures above 55 degrees or so. I'm taking the Dri Ducks to Colorado this summer in case I encounter hypothermia weather (rain in the mid 30s-40s). I think that is when they are essential.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

No to rainpants unless there are still winter conditions. Rainpants add warmth but are pretty useless for staying dry when moving. I ditched my rainpants very early in my thru (Gatlinburg?) and was glad I did.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    what are gaiters/gators?

can you post a link?
    Google: gaiters

But basically a piece of material (frequently water proof) that covers your shins and top of your boot. They keep water and dirt/rocks out of your socks/boots (be it rain, melting snow, or dew).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiters

Journal Entries

Here's a link to one gaiter product. We bought gaiters for a trip in mid-March where we expected to find snow. As it turned out, they weren't that helpful to us because the snow was mostly gone and the weather was pleasant. Others wear gaiters to keep pebbles from falling in their shoes and leaves from collecting on their socks. There are several types, some much lighter and cheaper than these.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor-resea...-gaiters.shtml

As far as rain pants go, understand that you can be wet from rain or wet from sweat. Your choice depends on the temperature and your ability to get dry and warm when you stop hiking. If it's cold, but not cold enough to snow, rain pants are helpful because they hold in some heat that you just might need.

Yes for me!! They doubled as my town pants, laundromat day pants, mud day pants, to keep warm at night pants and if it was raining I didn't wear hiking pants underneath...just underwear and kept the side zips open.

Well I'm hiking SOBO starting mid July, so I can't imagine it getting too terribly cold.. I may buy a pair of frogtogg pants from walmart even with rain pants your socks and shoes are going to get soaked, so that doesn't matter much correct? Do you guys think gaiters are an essential piece of material? I was just going to tuck my pants in my socks. Went on a 3 day trip the other week and didn't get one rock in my shoe. I suppose it depends on the terrain. If there's a way to keep my socks and shoes dry during a downpour, I would love to know about it hahah.

I have about 700 miles in trail runners since I switched from boots early last year and I've yet to feel a need for gaiters, and the miles were pretty diverse... From the AT in the mid Atlantic states to the JMT to the Grand Canyon. I do wear long pants 99% of the time when I'm hiking and suspect that makes the difference since my pants would prevent random rocks or twigs from easy access into my shoes. I'd probably want gaiters if I hiked in shorts,
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Rain pants not necessary, but, some type of light wind pants do come in handy...ie cold windy ridges, chill nights in camp, laundry day in town.

Images

Rain pants help me keep my clothes dry. I learned years ago that weight savings meant less food and less clothing. I try to come into town with NO food, have cut way back on clothing as well. Now at about 30lbs all in which I am happy with.

Eating the heavy food 1st brings me into the mid 20's pretty fast.

But I have to keep my clothes DRY. Often I wear no tee shirt (merino) under rain jacket and just merino wool underwear or nothing with rain pants. Keep moving, stay warm, change into dry clothes as soon as I am in my tent.

Not much left to dry out!

Works for me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Rain pants aren't about keeping dry, they are about staying warm by keeping the constant cold rain off of your lower body. If if is raining and temps are in the forties or below then I would want mine. If the temperature is above that then I'm generally warm enough with just a rain jacket as long as I keep moving.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

what does an average rain jacket or rain pants weigh, anyway?
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Journal Entries
    Images

What they said ...

Only somewhat useful in a horrible Kent Laundry when nothing else is available...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If hiking in warm weather then likely not needed. In cold weather then they can come in handy. Also makes a great VBL if hiking in highly variable weather like GSMNP in December.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++