WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question about Trail near Damascus Va.

Hi all,

We are planning on a 40 mile hike heading south toward Damascus. Actually we are driving to Damascus and getting shuttled north. Not sure the exact spot but the first shelter we will encounter is Old Orchard. I've been looking at the trail and trying to figure out where we come out near Damascus. Does it actually follow the Virginia Creeper Trail that goes through town? Thanks.

the At goes right thru town. We are going to be hiking a similar hike this summer. When are you going?

Images

Saunders shelter is aboout 9 miles from Damascus as you are going southbound. About 2 miles after Saunders, the AT will begin to come close to and parallel the Creeper Trail and Whitetop Laurel Creek. When you are about 5.5 miles from Damascus the AT will cross Straight Branch and then Rt 58. You'll climb up from 58 towards Cuckoo Knob, then decend. The AT will then come back out onto 58 and join the Creeper Trail about a mile out of town.

*one note though, but I thought I had heard the foot bridge at Straight Branch had been washed out and there was a re-reroute.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Yes, the AT comes out to the road just north of Damascus, and joins the Creepter Trail for a mile or so, then once you get into town the AT turns right to follow the road while the VCT keeps going straight.

This is a very enjoyable 40+ mile section from the Fox Creek trailhead down to Damascus.

*My understanding of the Straight Branch re-route is that you can cross the creek except in high water. But the AT is marked down to the VCT at the Straight Branch parking lot for a few hundred yards. (Hoppy, don't worry about this.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

you're on the creeper trail for less than a half mile. just follow the white blazes. there's so many you can't miss them

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    the At goes right thru town. We are going to be hiking a similar hike this summer. When are you going?
    We will be on the trail June 14th - ? probably 4 days. How about you?

Thanks Everyone, appreciated.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hoppy, I may be on that very part of the trail the same weekend (if not somewhere near Hot Springs). Hope to run into you. If not, have a GREAT hike!

++ New Posts ++