WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hiking Alone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by franklooper
    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this year's fall/winter hiking season, and within about a week I'm going out on the Bartram for about a week. I won't see a soul, and it won't bother me until the last day or so. But the hike will be great.

You're right about probably not seeing a soul! I was on the Bartram Trail this last weekend and hiked from Warwoman Picnic Area to Dick's Creek Falls, overnighted and hiked back on Sunday without seeing anyone at all except at the trailhead parking lot. Twenty-some odd miles over two days on a beautiful, late September weekend and not another soul anywhere. It was blissful solitude. How many folks do you think I would have seen around Blood Mt. the same weekend? I'd have probably lost count within the first hour.

Ragarding that section of the Bartram, two separate guidebooks I looked at show the mileage from Warwoman Dell to Sandy Ford Road to be about 9.5 miles. But the stone marker at the road states 12 miles. Has the trail been re-routed to account for the additional distance? Or, is the marker simply incorrect? 2.5 miles is a fair distance to be off for a short stretch of trail.

Anyway, enjoy the Bartram's solitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    The thing that surprised me was the sound its rattle made. It didn't sound like what you hear in the movies.
    You reckon they don't use real rattlesnakes in Hollywood?

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Just a few years ago I would have not considered hiking alone. Now, most of my hiking is solo. This past two week section was a half & half, both halves outstanding, both were different. When I was a kid, I had no problems going off in the woods by myself. I gradually "learned" that that was unsafe and foolish so didn't do, or think about doing, for many years. Ah what I missed! Oh well, I'm catching up then and will surely hike with others still, as long as i get a few weeks of solo in between.

Images

I hike solo, always. Have felt in danger from time to time, usually (99.9% of the time) it was a figment of my imagination. Once I may have been in danger, Hypothermia, but symptoms started only about 1/2 hr from the shelter I was headed for that day so, no problem. the other time, Hypothermis again, I was stoopid (yes, I know it is spelled "stupid") & missed all the signs, fortunatly hikers look after their own (& others) & I was saved with minimal fuss & bother.

All of the rest of the times I was "in danger" as I said, were only in my over tired, under fed, over imaginative head. A good sleep, some food, & the perceived danger went away. I am cautious at road crossings, and try to stay very aware of my surrondings, watching my step a little closer, etc. But all in all, I usually feel totally safe in the woods.

I prefer to hike solo. Most likely, if I hiked with a companion, it would most likely be: "Ill meet you at ________ for lunch, and at _______ tonight." & may not even be that formal. Could be, see you in a few days even.

Doctari.
    Last edited by Doctari; 09-30-2005 at 21:21.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbert
    Regarding that section of the Bartram, two separate guidebooks I looked at show the mileage from Warwoman Dell to Sandy Ford Road to be about 9.5 miles. But the stone marker at the road states 12 miles. Has the trail been re-routed to account for the additional distance? Or, is the marker simply incorrect? 2.5 miles is a fair distance to be off for a short stretch of trail.

Anyway, enjoy the Bartram's solitude!
    There was a lot of re-routing last year due to hurricane damage. That probably accounts for most of it.

I usually start at Oconee State Park in SC and walk from there to the 28 bridge before I get to the GA section. That's about 12 miles or so, then the first 6 miles or so of GA are really easy. Later on, as you get closer to Warwoman Dell, it gets AT-ish, and the views get good. After the dell, it gets even nicer. I've only got a week. I haven't decided if I'm gonna do the Foothills or the Bartram. The Foothills, which I've done lots of times, has some nice views and good ups-and-downs, plus I know that I can do it in a week. The Bartram, I can probably make to Franklin and hitch home. It's a great time of year for it, either way.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 09-30-2005 at 21:19.
    Just hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule
    You reckon they don't use real rattlesnakes in Hollywood?
    It's all about the recording technology. Have you ever heard a Harley sound real in a movie? Probably the same thing with the snake.
    Just hike.

Images

This is a great thread. Thanks Glessed for starting it. Upon reflection I think that the "aloneness" is a big part of what draws me. It is certainly true that hiking alone increases the risk. How much depends on who you are and where you are going. But, "who you are" and "where you are going" is the whole point. If being alone accentuates this part of the walk then so much the better. If, on the other hand, being alone robs you of some of the enjoyment then by all means seek company. Don't know where you are but drop me a line, I try to get out every other weekend somewhere here in the Carolinas.

In the end if you find that you enjoy hiking alone you will probably hike more. I never have to mesh my schedule with a parther because it is not an issue. By myself or with a crowd it is always new and always somthing that I didn't expect.

As a final, final word as many others have said, it's not going to be the snake or black bear. Much more likely a sprained ankle, torn muscle or, god should never hear it from my lips, a broken bone.

walk far!
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I was forced to go solo as it became increasingly difficult to find anyone to go out with me for a week. Regardless, I prefer walking by myself throughout the day, but it is nice to share the day with someone at camp.

Certainly there is risk to being out alone, but the AT is a well-traveled trail for much of the year. With a nominal first aid kit, dry clothes, and shelter you should be able to keep yourself together until someone comes along. Sharing your approximate itinerary and signing registers will help locate you if things really spiral downhill. I do try to be very careful about wandering off-trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Either way is cool. Somtimes I like to hike with someone else, so many times I have missed things, or seen things the other hasn't - glad I didn't miss out on them....another set of eyes and ears as well. It's a good hike either way.
    Last edited by Smile; 10-01-2005 at 12:28. Reason: either or

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++