WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default satellite phone?

Hi there,

I am a solo female hiker planning to start March of 2015. Do you think it is necessary to bring a satellite phone with GPS in case of emergencies? I would rather not. They are expensive and weigh from 1/2 pd to over a pd. I would just bring my very basic cell phone otherwise for emergencies and a compass. Who needs GPS? Is it really that easy to get lost on the AT? If I had it my way I would bring no electronics at all but I don't want to be careless or totally freak my friends/family out. Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Images

No sat phone, a regular cell phone works in many places (Verizon is best, I think.) Sat phones are for going to the north pole, or Everest. You're going for a nice walk in the woods.

Some people carry a GPS. I have a GPS app on my phone, but don't use it. It's not impossible to get lost, but it's not easy. I have a small compass on my watchband and I carry the ATC map and one of the guidebooks (the Companion or the AT Guide.) Just pay some sort of attention while walking.

If you haven't freaked them out just by wanting to go, then you're unlikely to freak them out by not taking a sat phone.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

There are a thousand threads on this topic already - do a search.

I carry a DeLorme inReach for my solo trips which allows for two-way, 160 character text messages in the form of emails (and facebook and twitter posts). Tracking updates and message location are povided by GPS and post to a map, which can be seen with a web browser. The inReach uses the Irridium constellation - giving it 100% global coverage (except where it is forbidden by law from operating - Syria, Iran, and a few other places) - all you need is a clear view of the sky. Unlike a cell phone, it always works. I also can see when messages have been picked up by a passing satellite.

A satellite phone for voice calls does not have much battery capacity and is very expensive.

Do you need it? Depends. From a safety standpoint, probably not. I wouldn't bother, but I can't be completely out of touch with my business, so I have included the inReach in my gear for my thru hike. This is a condition of my being gone for six months, so I have no choice. There is a penalty though - 9 oz to be exact, which is a lot. The battery is good for many days, however. I've used it extensively and it does work, even from the most remote places. The two-way aspect of it is nice - people can send me messages too. I had a SPOT Messenger, but it was only one-way and did not always work.

Images

Not necessary on AT. If you must have that extra layer of security, take a SPOT device. Your friends & fam can see where you are everyday, plus 911 in emergency.

No on the Sat phone. I second the SPOT if this will make your loved ones back home, or you, more comfortable. It is not something you "need".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I agree with others that Sat phone is not required. Often when the signal does not support voice, you can send a text.

Quote Originally Posted by hraye34 View Post
    Hi there,

I am a solo female hiker planning to start March of 2015. Do you think it is necessary to bring a satellite phone with GPS in case of emergencies? I would rather not. They are expensive and weigh from 1/2 pd to over a pd.
    no. you'll be walkin' around dozens of others with cell phones in march

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

you do not need a satelite phone, and its considered a waste.

But if you are one of the people that would feel more comfortable contacting or being contacted by family (to say good morning before school, ask about the kids about their day, get daily updates on a sick relative, and want to be within reach 24/7 then YES, GET A SATELITE PHONE.

But if you just take a cell phone, you should basically have cell service every day at some point (may go a day without signal, here and there). But you may run out of battery. So you could always say "Im going to keep my cell phone turned off to save battery, but I will have it on every morning from 8-8:30am and 9-10pm, I will contact you if I have signal."

I mean, You should even run into a town every couple days. And basically every town will have cell phone signal or a payphone.

Get one if you want. If it will make you comfortable. But also, determine if its worth the $$$$ for the phone, and subscription plan.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Images

Lone Wolf: Did this thread follow You

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Lone Wolf: Did this thread follow You
    explain......

Images

Don;t be fraid... The Earth did not come Fast... and Will not leave quickly. We are all on the same walk...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    explain......
    Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Don;t be fraid... The Earth did not come Fast... and Will not leave quickly. We are all on the same walk...
    Never ask them to explain.

Images

LOVE!!! and smiles...

As a mom of a solo lady thru hiker.....a spot is great...Verizon has worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    I mean, You should even run into a town every couple days. And basically every town will have cell phone signal or a payphone.
    That's a risky assumption to make, particularly when it comes to pay phones. I have found it increasingly difficult to find pay phones anywhere, even in places where you would expect. My preference is to use my calling card at a pay phone if I need to make a call, but I can no longer count on this. As for signal, it is hit or miss depending on where you are and the carrier you use.

I carry a SPOT 2 device for the peace of mind of family members. You can get a SPOT 2 for around $75 on sale and a basic annual service plan is $99. It has been very reliable when used as directed with the most important step being to allow the device to go through a full 20 minute cycle to ensure that the message is sent. The SPOT has limitations. You cannot be sure whether the message was received and the messaging is one way only. But it is the cheapest reliable option I have found. On the AT, I have carried the SPOT and my cell phone. On the JMT last year I carried the SPOT but no phone (useless weight since there is no reception most places). In Colorado this summer, I will carry the SPOT and my new smart phone since it can be used for many purposes other than calls (reading, taking notes, internet in town, etc).

The most important thing is to set expectations with family appropriately. Otherwise, there could be unnecessary stress or panic for no reason. In particular, I've made sure to let everyone know that the absence of a SPOT check in is not equivalent to an SOS. Batteries can die, signal may not get through, the unit itself might get lost, etc. You don't want to find yourself 3 days from the nearest trailhead with a dead SPOT and having to run to the nearest trailhead to buy batteries because otherwise people will assume you are dead or dying.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I would not count of pay phones any more.

As mentioned, a cell phone (not a smart phone even) should be adequate to make regular calls on the AT if so desired. Texting will be more reliable as an FYI.

If you family really want a peace of mind, get the SPOT.

Just let them know a SPOT is not 100% effective (too much cover, user error, etc) and not to panic if they don't get a constant update.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

to those with a spot, does it use store bought batteries such as AA? Or is it a rechargable battery?

And how long does a spot go before it needs charged/batteries?

I looked on amazon and couldnt find an answer.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    to those with a spot, does it use store bought batteries such as AA? Or is it a rechargable battery?

And how long does a spot go before it needs charged/batteries?

I looked on amazon and couldnt find an answer.
    The Spot 2 uses three AAA lithiums. How long it lasts depends on how you use it. I only use my SPOT for sending messages (one or two per day) and keep it off the rest of the time. With that type of use, the batteries seem to last a long time. The new batteries I put in prior to my two week AT section are still good. If you use the tracking feature and keep the device on all day, then battery life is going to be much lower. Carrying a spare set of batteries isn't too heavy. I like the fact that the SPOT uses replacable batteries. The Delorme InReach uses an internal rechargeable battery.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

Old school.flip.
    Phone worked for.me...rugged and lightweight.If.you.only turn it on when you need to.use it, the battery will last several days. As mentioned, just explain that you are off.on a.hike in the woods, there's plenty of other people to help you along the way and set a time,perhaps an hour in the evening, when you.MAY be reachable. Have a great hike

Journal Entries
    Images

Entice something small-be there for the family - take a small phone - call family each trail town tell them what is behind you and before you, learn to enjoy the view... forget the Sat phone - make sure you have the skills for your trail trip.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++