WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weekender on PA section 4, questions.

Hello all,

I'm planning a 3-day, 2-night trip between blue mountain summit (PA 309) and Port Clinton next weekend. Planned to camp near dans spring and at Windsor furnace shelter (tent site). I'm wondering about water on that section. I'm assuming with all the rain we've had recently that there will be plenty, but if anyone knows first hand that would be great. Mainly, is dans spring wet?

Also wondering about bugs. This will be my first trip on the AT in PA, so any other info/advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Larry

No one knows I guess. Is there an active thread that covers this section? Sorry, I'm kind of new to the site. Thanks.

Windsor Furnace shelter has a small pond just south of it, and a stream (inlet or outlet from the pond) a bit further south still. I was there in a drought year and both water sources were usable, with filtering.

The stretch between there and Eagles Nest shelter was dry, as was Eagles Nest shelter itself -- almost no water to be had.

Don't know about Dan's spring, but the spring at the Allentown shelter was flowing good a few weeks ago. With all the rain we have been having water won't be a problem. Was at Windsor Furnace also and there is plenty of water flowing there. Iceman

Images

After Allentown shelter, Eckville shelter is the only reliable source. The gnats are pretty bad at the lower elevations. put out the $3 for a good headnet. You'll have great weather though. Have fun.

I just did this section from PC to 309 the 31st-1st.
    nice hike, bugs were not bad at all but inch worms everywhere! (tarp camped no headnet) we camped at dans pupit. I got water out of a small stream and made the huge mistake of going to a spring just before dans spring that was pretty much at the bottom of the Mt.

have fun!

Thanks folks. Sounds like we'll be good for water. From what I read we may have more Nobos than gnats. I guess they should be coming through there right about now. Anyway, thanks again for the info.

larry.

Just thought I should report back that there's plenty of water at all of the springs and streams along the stretch we did this weekend. That includes Dan's Spring that was flowing strong. We had a great hike and learned what all this "Pennsylvania Rocks" talk is about.

Glad it was a good hike and welcome to PA. Good info also.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy larry View Post
    Just thought I should report back that there's plenty of water at all of the springs and streams along the stretch we did this weekend. That includes Dan's Spring that was flowing strong. We had a great hike and learned what all this "Pennsylvania Rocks" talk is about.
    Thanks for reporting back to us!

++ New Posts ++