WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sham antics...While not abroad, I hiked with a broard.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

can we please stop the argument that "puerto rico" isnt 'abroad'?

By MY defininition, the fact that you go thru customs to return to the mainland and the fact that the baggage claim (In Atlanta, AND in puerto Rico, the baggage claim is in the 'international' section of the airport.)

I can understand not having hawaii and alaska as "abroad" but Puerto Rico? it is by most definitions..... Puerto Rico is 'equally' as part of the u.s. as guam. But guam is also 'abroad'.

If the airports locate your terminals and baggage claim in 'international', even when it's a direct flight, then that's how I classify it.

Can we strop arguing? the thread is where have "you" hiked abroad.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Images

I hiked the Sentieri Degli Dei (path of the gods) on the Amalfi Coast of Italy. It was beautiful. I believe Italy does qualify as abroad.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Default Over seas hikes

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Where have you "hiked" over seas?

feel free to post pics and describe your hike.
    Just going from memory --

England
    France
    Switzerland
    The Netherlands
    Germany
    Albania
    Romania
    Bulgaria
    Greece
    Italy
    Israel
    Jordon
    Saudi Arabia
    Vietnam
    Cambodia
    Indonesia
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Guyana
    Barbados
    Peru
    South Korea
    China
    Russia
    Kenya
    Zambia
    Botswana

(No wonder I feel tired)

Pictures of some of them are on my personal website: http://www.davemcclung.com
    Shutterbug

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I want to be Shutterbug/Dave Mcclung

Out of the US:
    Canada (Banff area backpack & two canoe trips)
    Chile (Torres del Paine circuit)
    Argentina (over-nighter at Fitz Roy)
    NZ (Routeburn, Kempler, Tongoriro, & Abel Tasman Tracks)

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Ireland thanks to info from cookerhiker. Want to go back soon, but first Africa.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Ireland thanks to info from cookerhiker. Want to go back soon, but first Africa.

Just curious, how did he help?

Since joining here, I have had more members 'help' me and give me advice on so many things, than on any other forum I ever was a part of. it's almost crazy to think about it, all.

How did he help you with ireland?

can we please stop the argument that "puerto rico" isnt 'abroad'?

By MY defininition, the fact that you go thru customs to return to the mainland and the fact that the baggage claim (In Atlanta, AND in puerto Rico, the baggage claim is in the 'international' section of the airport.)

I can understand not having hawaii and alaska as "abroad" but Puerto Rico? it is by most definitions..... Puerto Rico is 'equally' as part of the u.s. as guam. But guam is also 'abroad'.

If the airports locate your terminals and baggage claim in 'international', even when it's a direct flight, then that's how I classify it.

Can we strop arguing? the thread is where have "you" hiked abroad.
    I agree with your definition of Puerto Rico being "abroad," but it's not in the international terminal anymore. I have to pick my parents up from the airport tonight and they will be at the domestic terminal/baggage claim after coming from Puerto Rico.
    "Never quit in town; never quit going uphill; never quit in the rain."

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Just curious, how did he help?

Since joining here, I have had more members 'help' me and give me advice on so many things, than on any other forum I ever was a part of. it's almost crazy to think about it, all.

How did he help you with ireland?
    He provided me with information and links on his hike, helped me with planning.

Summer of 2006 I had a teaching gig in Rome, so I took my gear along. Did a 3-day in the Apennines: went where Hannibal routed the Romans and where Hitler sent a plane to rescue Mussolini. Got rousted by a wild boar one night there! Then did 8 days in the Alps in 2 different areas along the Italy-French border. Slept in a bivaucio above the timberline with two mountaineers, and later in an abandoned shepherd's hut inside France. It was June so I couldn't get up to the Swiss Alps---still too much snow. But I did take along my Stable-Icers and they worked better than crampons on the S. Alpine glaciers I hiked on. I'd recommend them to anyone:

http://www.32north.com/play/15-stabi...-original.html

I tired to get up on Mt. Parnassus in Greece but bad weather made me abort the hike.

Nevertheless, I had a great summer!

Still-at-it

I hiked some 20 miles in Crosscut Mountain Range in Sichuan Province, China in 2011. It was originally a bigger plan, but stopped short due to the high altitude sickness when I camped above 14,000' in a valley on my forth day out from a place less than 1,700' above the sea level. I felt extremely uncomfortable as a solo hiker and retreated back to the lower altitude, and then lost my heart for some personal reasons.
    I'm ready to do it again this time. I'm departing next Monday, to start backpacking in the same area, until hundreds of miles away at the other side of Crosscut Mountain Range. I hope I'm fully prepared and lucky this time.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Man View Post
    I hiked some 20 miles in Crosscut Mountain Range in Sichuan Province, China in 2011. It was originally a bigger plan, but stopped short due to the high altitude sickness when I camped above 14,000' in a valley on my forth day out from a place less than 1,700' above the sea level. I felt extremely uncomfortable as a solo hiker and retreated back to the lower altitude, and then lost my heart for some personal reasons.
    I'm ready to do it again this time. I'm departing next Monday, to start backpacking in the same area, until hundreds of miles away at the other side of Crosscut Mountain Range. I hope I'm fully prepared and lucky this time.
    Good luck.

Can I ask why specifically there (china)?

Seems like a pretty specific place, given that theres a whole world of possibilities and hiking in other countries.

Just curious how that place is on you list. (I've never heard of it, so it'll be nice to hear 'why')

Good luck.

Can I ask why specifically there (china)?

Seems like a pretty specific place, given that theres a whole world of possibilities and hiking in other countries.

Just curious how that place is on you list. (I've never heard of it, so it'll be nice to hear 'why')
    Thanks!
    I'm taking a long vacation there in China. Hiking in Himalaya Mountain Range is always one of my outdoor dreams. The place, Kang Ding where I start hiking, is about 6~7 hour driving from the Capitol of Sichuan Province. The national highway G318 goes through the prefecture/county seat, so getting there is very easy.
    Kang Ding locates at the eastern edge of Himalaya Mountain Range, a very popular hiking place. A three day hiking from there, you'll see Minya Konga Peak, 24,490' ASL, the third highest peak outside Himalaya and Karakoram Mountain Ranges. You can look at Google Terrain to find out how hard the terrain is. Obviously, there ain't many places on the earth that can compare with the beauty and hardness of this mountain range. My plan is a long distance backpacking to reach to west near Burma border. I have some pictures in my album from my previously failed backpacking trip.
    I actively participate in an outdoor forum there, and read a lots of good trail journals posted by hikers. There're a few very remote and primitive places along western Chinese border, starting from the east at Sichuan Province stretching thousands of miles to the west at Tian Shan Mountain Range at Xinjiang Autonomous Prefecture. These areas are called the "Roof of the World". Some commercial trekking services in Nepal and China have such programs to help foreigners to hike in the region.
    So I may give you more ideas after coming back in a month if you're interested in walking around in that area.

Images

Mountain trekking in Northern India while on a pilgrimage to attend a public teaching with the Dalai Lama in 2006. Got really bad AMS and had to cut the trek short, but trip of a lifetime....

I just got back from a three week non-hiking vacation in Europe doing the typical tourist thing in several big cities. However, I did get an opportunity to do a ten mile day hike in the southern Czech Republic on trails frequented mainly by locals as far as I could tell. The south Bohemian region of the country is very attractive for hiking and the main touristy location is Cesky Krumlov, a UNESCO world heritage site. While visiting, I noticed a number of backpackers and unlike most European "backpackers" one sees in cities, some of these people had camping gear. So I inquired at the tourist information office and was directed to a wall of topographical maps covering a very large territory!

Excited by the topos, I found a ten mile hike from Cesky Krumlov to a local mountain peak with an observatory (Klet mountain), and a train connection in a small town in a valley on the other side of the mountain. I wish that I had more time to visit that area, even though a good portion of the walk was on lightly traveled roads rather than actual trails. While lacking in dramatic peaks and scenery, it is a pleasant area and one I'd like to return to someday on a backpacking trip. Routes are well blazed in various colors. I was told by a local cab driver that in the communist era, "trekkiing" was a very popular low cost way of going on vacation since traveling to most western countries was prohibited, and even when not, would be unaffordable to most people. Hiking as a low cost vacation ... has a familiar ring to it! Local train connections are good even in small towns and fares are cheap.

Here is the map I used: http://www.freytagberndt.cz/turistic..._from_store=cz

I just read a book that mentioned the bear moat at Cesky Krumlov. I had a randy moose block my path once backpacking in Cape Breton and had to take another trail out, but otherwise my own international hiking resume is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I just read a book that mentioned the bear moat at Cesky Krumlov.
    There were three bears in the moat. I found it kind of sad since the area they were in was very small (given a bear's typical territory), and they spent most of the day with tourists gawking at them from above. Otherwise, the castle is very impressive and the town, while touristy, retains its character. Finding these trails was a total surprise and a great opportunity to get out of tourist mode and live like the locals for a day.

Hindu Kush mountain range in Afghanistan, sometimes while being shot out. Good times

Shot at I mean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++