WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Or continue on the LT to the border- although that is serious country akin to the worst of Maine/NH. But there is a fella who lives up top who will shuttle you back down to Killington. (Don't have his name handy-but could get it) His shuttle was $150 though.
    I could use that guy's contact info. That's exactly the section I have left to do. I might need to split it into two sections though.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I could use that guy's contact info. That's exactly the section I have left to do. I might need to split it into two sections though.
    Arg- thought I could find it- posted it here before but don't have LT notes with me and can't find the thread.
    There were only two shuttle services in the north, one guy named Steve (who was picking berries as it was jam season), and a retired guy named John (fairly sure) who lived up in Troy. The Troy Bed and Breakfast was a helpful source and she will shuttle back and forth to Journey's end itself with a stay.

His number should be in the E2E guide or likely someone else will pop it up here. If you get stuck shoot me a PM to remind me to dig it up.

He was actually supposed to be shuttling me from Montpelier to Troy, but we went back down to I@LT to pick up another hiker. Not sure of the exact numbers- but breaking it up that way may work for you too- Killington/Montpelier/Troy?

Responding to my own stupid post -- Killington to Canada is pretty much the whole non-AT part of the Long Trail. D'oh. The stretch I need to do is Stowe (Rte. 108) to Canada. The last bada$$ 63 miles. I think I'd need at least five days to cover it. 12 miles/day ain't much but it's killer terrain from what I gather.

Responding to my own stupid post -- Killington to Canada is pretty much the whole non-AT part of the Long Trail. D'oh. The stretch I need to do is Stowe (Rte. 108) to Canada. The last bada$$ 63 miles. I think I'd need at least five days to cover it. 12 miles/day ain't much but it's killer terrain from what I gather.
    That guy would be a good shuttle then, likely $50 or so.
    Call the Inn at North Troy- likely she would let you park or knows a place to park and then you can rest up by her when you finish or before you start. Doubt that section is any better or worse NOBO vs. SOBO- but at least you could finish at the border and there is the Journey's end Shelter nearby. Don't forget to add the (5?) or so miles to hike out from the border to where you can get picked up- journey's end road is not navigable to the terminus. On the Stowe side you face a steep climb from the road, but there is a trail head that allows parking if I recall.

Five days seems about right but according some A-hole- it takes 2 days seven hours to do that stretch- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ke-trip-report

JB, thanks for the info. I've already been up to Sterling Pond, a few years back as a day hike with my wife. But of course there's no way to avoid re-doing that. I'm taking it slow, my status is definitely "weekend warror" at this time. From about Mad River Glen onward, I've watched my forward speed (on the LT) decline to White Mountain levels, about 1 mile per hour, give or take. Glad to have Mansfield behind me, that was truly twisted in places.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by) and the only place to stay would be 0ne of two very expensive looking B+Bs. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to try and get there.

You should resupply in Manchester Center. The Green Mountain House is the place to stay, but I'm not sure if Jeff allows dogs. Then go the distance to Killington. For the most part, that section of trail is really easy. You can get a good lunch (or breakfast) at the Whistle stop, about .5 miles off the trail at Clarendon Gorge (VT103). I think there is a small store another .3 down the road.
    Very, very helpful. Thank you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    There is low cost bus service from Rutland (or Inn at the Long Trail) to Bennington. It does require a transfer in Manchester but will end up costing you $4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm

http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html

Thanks Jeff, but I'm guessing dogs aren't allowed on the bus.

Are dogs allowed at your place? He's a nice dog and I keep him leashed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    LOL- Jeff was kindly avoiding direct promotion- but read his signature.
    He is the place to stay in Manchester-
    Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Yes- you can park at Inn at Long Trail- and if you're not in a horrible hurry- the bus system is quite nice in Vermont.
    Inn at Long Trail to Bennington is pretty easy- the last run from Bennington to the border (williamstown/mt adams) is a once a day deal- if time is tight, if I recall correctly- it cost me a $45 dollar cab ride from Bennington to Williamstown. You can also skip the last few miles and get on at Bennington itself if that appeals to you more or the last leg of the public transportation schedule doesn't work out right- you'll only miss a day of Vermont.

This is an excellent section of trail! And NOBO a good way to do it. In addition-
    Consider putting in the extra food and exploring a shuttle from Hanover back to Killington. If your first 100 miles goes well, you could use your car as a resupply and continue on to finish the last section on the AT.
    Or continue on the LT to the border- although that is serious country akin to the worst of Maine/NH. But there is a fella who lives up top who will shuttle you back down to Killington. (Don't have his name handy-but could get it) His shuttle was $150 though.

Your itinerary looks good based upon your miles, as a Mainer you will likely greatly enjoy the woods (southern Northwoods if there is such a thing) that others were knocking a bit- it's a very nice stretch- one of my favorites.
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate your words about this section. I love the long green tunnel. I'm excited!

I don't think dogs can go on the bus system. But I've some good leads here on a shuttle. And I'm definitely hearing that Manchester is the resupply!

Goonky -- for what it's worth, my pix from AT in VT: http://gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002

Your trip should be fun. For a preview, you might check out Jan Leitshuh's great (published) journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer" about her NOBO LT thru-hike. I was headed from Hanover to North Adams. I bailed at Bennington, 18 miles shy of my target, 'cuz I'd had enough of the stinking heat. Spent final night at a great motel (with a pool) in Bennington. Such is the life of a section hiker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Short term resupply in Wallingford

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by)
    At. Vt. 140, Wallingford does have short term resupply, four stores-Wallingford Country Store & Deli, Cumberland Farms, Mobil Mini Mart and a Family Dollar. Plus two restaurants Sal's Pizza and Mom's Restaurant.

At Vt. 103, eat at the newly reopened Qu's Whistle Stop (closed on Wednesday), they serve breakfast all day and the caboose is now open for ice cream. Loretta's Good Food Deli (short term resupply and fresh deli items) is another 0.5 mile west from Qu's. Both places are hiker friendly.

Last week, immediately above (east of) the Vt. 140 trailhead parking area a beaver dam broke and the resulting flood waters created a mess along Vt. 140. Some of you may recall this also happened in 2008. The trail is fine, Roaring Brook footbridge is fine, expect delays for the next week or so if traveling to the trail head until the road repairs are completed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    At. Vt. 140, Wallingford does have short term resupply, four stores-Wallingford Country Store & Deli, Cumberland Farms, Mobil Mini Mart and a Family Dollar. Plus two restaurants Sal's Pizza and Mom's Restaurant.

At Vt. 103, eat at the newly reopened Qu's Whistle Stop (closed on Wednesday), they serve breakfast all day and the caboose is now open for ice cream. Loretta's Good Food Deli (short term resupply and fresh deli items) is another 0.5 mile west from Qu's. Both places are hiker friendly.

Last week, immediately above (east of) the Vt. 140 trailhead parking area a beaver dam broke and the resulting flood waters created a mess along Vt. 140. Some of you may recall this also happened in 2008. The trail is fine, Roaring Brook footbridge is fine, expect delays for the next week or so if traveling to the trail head until the road repairs are completed.
    Can I ask...as an aspiring thru hiker... how do you define the difference between short term resupply and long term resupply? Just curious.

In general, short-term resupply distinguishes a mini-mart from a proper supermarket. Ie., food to get you by for a few days but not food you'd want to subsist on.

Images

In general, short-term resupply distinguishes a mini-mart from a proper supermarket. Ie., food to get you by for a few days but not food you'd want to subsist on.
    Fair enough. and the message I'm getting here is that Manchester has good long term resupply. I could get ramen in Manchester.

Since this isn't in the LT forum I suppose the OP is asking about the AT not the LT so why mention Camels Hump, Mt Mansfield, etc in response to his questions? If the OP is possibly seeking to knock off various states where the AT is has he considered starting from N.Adams at the MA/VT border and hiking NOBO towards home in ME ending at Rutland(Killington) on this 105 mile section http://www.atdist.com/atdist hike getting to N. Adams via public transportation(buses, Amtrak, etc) leaving his car in Rutland/Killington basically knocking off a good sized chunk of the VT AT? Although he could start in Bennington as well but in my mind I think it would be a great psychological boost and a convenient starting/ending pt if this AT section hike begins/ ends at the state border. Resupply would generally be a snap(N. Adams(plenty of grocery store options), supplement or resupply in Bennington if desired(two large grocery stores), and finish at Killington(Rutland). He could reverse this but why hike away from home? IF he hiked NOBO from the state line it is my best guess he will avg slightly more MPD if he starts at the MA/VT border than he did in ME. I base this opinion on my thought the southern part of the LT which is also the AT is less strenuous hiking overall than the AT in ME where he avg 8 MPD. If you do decide on starting/ending at Bennington, I think it's the YMCA, that offers inexpensive shuttles between Bennington and the AT where the AT crosses outside of Bennington. They also allow AT hikers to take showers at the facility. Leaving a car in Rutland/Killingto and taking that bus to Bennington Jeff mentioned is another option. If I'm recalling correctly the Long Trail Inn charges for storing a car on their premises so you might want to check up on that. PUURHAPS, if you stay at the LT INN at the beginning/end of your section hike the LT Inn MIIGHT wave that fee?

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Convenience Store or Supermarket

Short term resupply has limited options and less choices (convenience store are best for omnivores) and long term resupply would have more choices or all diet types (large supermarket for omnivores, herbivores, carnivores and the gluten free).

Many a thru-hiker is able and will do fine to resupply at convenience stores along the trail supplementing their diet with a hearty restaurant meal (or prepared food from the store) and carrying out of town a huge loaded deli sandwich for the first night out of town.

Journal Entries
    Images

In my experience Danby is not a resupply option. Couple of gas stations if I recall correctly and one was shut down. Actually was thinking of moving up there at one point. Right now the locals do all there grocery shopping in Rutland.

AT 2012

Anyone want to avoid a shuttle by spotting a couple of cars to hike from the Canadian border to the winooski river around mid September? Rafe, your wife's birthday celebration should be over by then... Don't mean to steal the thread, just seems like everyone is talking about hiking at the same time.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Anyone want to avoid a shuttle by spotting a couple of cars to hike from the Canadian border to the winooski river around mid September? Rafe, your wife's birthday celebration should be over by then... Don't mean to steal the thread, just seems like everyone is talking about hiking at the same time.
    Quite possibly. Let's keep in touch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    I could also hike on to Killington and jump out there. Thanks for the info, and specifically the info on the dog!
    Killington Peak is a 0.2 scramble on a spur trail to the summit off the A.T. It has extra pretty views, from the proper summit, from NE to due south, taking in the Greens and Adirondacks. Poking around the summit area and on side trails, you can get awesome views, on a clear day, to the Whites. And if you continue on to Rt 4, a visit to the Inn and Long Trail is a nice reward for a long, hard hike well done - excellent food and other offerings at the pub. If you don't insist on doing the A.T. all the way to Rt. 4, you can drop down directly to the Inn from Pico Peak's slopes by taking the Sherburne Pass trail, whose head is right across Rt. 4 from the Inn.

Stratton Pond is beautiful, if buggy in May and June (maybe less so later in summer), and atop Stratton, the GMC caretakers, the Jourdhi's, Jean and her husband, are very friendly company. They've been there forever and know and love the mountain and the hikers who visit it, and often will offer a warm cup of tea or coffee and pie or cookies. Lovely people.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Killington Ski Resort also is partly open during the summer for mountain biking. At the end of that .2 mile side trail to Killington Peak is the tram that typically operates, AT TIMES, even during the summer so mountain bikers can get to the top and ride down on their bikes. There also may be a café with LIMTED drinks/snacks/café food that can be bought here. AND, yes the view from the deck is awesome on a clear day. Further, you can take the tram for a few $ down to the bottom parking lot where a local bus takes ya into Rutland(station is right behind the 12 Tribes Hostel) but where you can also be dropped off at the Long trail Inn. The dependency of the tram operating is iffy during the summer though(only when the mountain biking thing is happening.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++