WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hot Springs to Erwin - November

What's the chance of snow during November in this area?
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

We won't know until it happens.
    What you will likely run into, and in my experience more uncomfortable than snow, is temperatures just above freezing, liquid air (mist, fog, drizzle) or rain and wind. A bone chilling combination.
    Most dangerous, if you are in the woods, is freezing rain. large tree parts or whole trees come down when hit by freezing rain and wind.
    The wind will be your biggest enemy. Take your woolies. Head to toe coverage. Stay dry. Carry proper shelter. Get in a trail shelter or on a bald if you think trees might be falling down.
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Just check the weather report for the week that you go. Chances are u will be ok. They do ocasionally have snow that time of the year, but not likely. Just go when the weather is right. Enjoy.

Thanks. Actually, I was looking for specific info on conditions in this area at that time of year, maybe from folks around there.

My daughter lives in Boone, NC, elevation 3,000'+, about 50 miles as the crow flies NE of Erwin, TN. Last year the first school snow day happened before Thanksgiving. Close enough for you?
    Every year is different. Global warming might change everything. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.
    I can't emphasize enough that snow will not be your biggest concern in November. Wind driven rain, possibly turning to sleet or freezing rain ahead of snow, can ruin your whole day. You should definitely plan for overnight lows below freezing and wind as you climb above Hot Springs or Erwin.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

You might not see any snow accumalation but maybe a dusting go prepared for, Cold, Windy, and Wet conditions day time highs can range from 25-55 degrees, night time lows can dip below zero easily but mainly the lows will be in the Teens, but the best thing to do is check the local weather in that area the night before you set out that way you will know exactly what it's going to do, it might be mild temps with perfect weather or it could be sever temps with crappy weather it's just too early to tell.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    You might not see any snow accumalation but maybe a dusting go prepared for, Cold, Windy, and Wet conditions day time highs can range from 25-55 degrees, night time lows can dip below zero easily but mainly the lows will be in the Teens, but the best thing to do is check the local weather in that area the night before you set out that way you will know exactly what it's going to do, it might be mild temps with perfect weather or it could be sever temps with crappy weather it's just too early to tell.
    Thanks. That was perfect.

Images

Since I'm the caretaker at Jerry's Cabin shelter, I'm there at least once a month. I live in Greeneville TN with a view of the high peaks from Mt. Guyot in the Smokies to Unaka Mtn. above Erwin TN. Feel free to PM me close to your hike and I'll give you a rundown on recent weather. I once hiked across Unaka Mtn on 10-4-82 in 6-8" of fresh snow.

Ray's Weather is the best resource for current conditions and forecasts in the high country along the NC-TN border. Ray's also has links to web cams in the mountains. Snake Mountain and the ski area web cams will be helpful.
    Good luck. Stay warm and dry.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

www.raysweather.com

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Since I'm the caretaker at Jerry's Cabin shelter, I'm there at least once a month. I live in Greeneville TN with a view of the high peaks from Mt. Guyot in the Smokies to Unaka Mtn. above Erwin TN. Feel free to PM me close to your hike and I'll give you a rundown on recent weather. I once hiked across Unaka Mtn on 10-4-82 in 6-8" of fresh snow.
    Thanks all - good info. Cleaner - I may PM you once we get closer to launch

++ New Posts ++