WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Great advice, Bill. I think I will weigh each thing next time, just to check out how far off the listed weights of things are.

My wife and I are already trying to figure out how to split the food for a 6 day trip to Wind River Range. If I carry all the food as I normally do, then I will be at about 20-24 lbs just for food, making my pack around 40lbs. Her pack would remain it's normal trip weight of 18-20 (since she normally carries no food). Of course, my weight will go down each day as we eat the food, but still, the initial 3 days will be fun!
    Weight is weight- split the food 1/3 for her and 2/3 for you. I know there's exceptions and some folks hike connected at the hip- but it's always a bad idea for any hiker not to carry any food, that's a "just in case" not to violate.
    You can shuffle around the group gear if needed to keep her total lower- or better yet- you each carry a little heavy the first half of the trip and each benefit from eating the weight down.

Nothing wrong with doing a little hero hauling, but being a gentleman and all- in the name of equality mind you- each member should carry their fair share. That way you are both on the same pace and energy level, no point in you being all tuckered on day one and light and free on day six when you can both share those feelings equally.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am posting from a McDonalds -- just finished a 290 calorie salad and am almost done with my black coffee.

Glad I read this. I still have time to get a McFlurry (or two). Anyone know how many of those I need to eat before I can upgrade my regular length pad to 72" version?
    Unfortunately I am at work, and do not have my McFlurry to NeoAir excel converter available. But if I recall correctly, the peanut butter cup is the better choice over the oreo. Odd Man or Map Man may also have a similar calculator.

Probably should have remembered the key word-
    If you can get to 20% of your HEALTHY body weight- all in- you're doing well.

Images

You had to throw that damn HEALTHY word in there, now my pack weight needs to be 35 instead of 42!

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    You had to throw that damn HEALTHY word in there, now my pack weight needs to be 35 instead of 42!
    Yar- there's always a but...
    I'm about the same size as you fella- 185 is speed hiker shape, 195 is pretty good for me, 220 is not unheard of when I get stuck behind a desk.
    On the plus side- extra weight on the back tends to burn the extra weight on the belly.

Just to make you feel extra crappy- for SUL/Speed hiking I aim to get my FSO, including food and water for a five day max to 30lbs or less (15%). Typically 12-13lbs of food, 2lbs of water, 1lb consumables. 14lbs or under for all the rest, shoes and all for shoulder season kits- no cuben yet in that rig.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd be just below 20 pounds for a summer 3-day hike with a liter of water, or 11% of my healthy bodyweight. I'm looking to replace my GG Nimbus Ozone with a zPacks ArcBlast, which will slice off another 2 pounds.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I'd be just below 20 pounds for a summer 3-day hike with a liter of water, or 11% of my healthy bodyweight. I'm looking to replace my GG Nimbus Ozone with a zPacks ArcBlast, which will slice off another 2 pounds.
    Do you know your FSO?
    If I remember right you're a fairly big mileage fella too?
    Seems common enough- take that 20% number and cut it in half- and you can double your hours hiked per day(to a point, and if your have the desire to).
    Not exactly an original thought by any means, but real life evidence of it always gets me curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ugaking View Post
    Including tent or hammock, stove, food, etc. for this time of year in NC.
    13 pounds base weight + 6 pounds of food (2 lbs/day) + 1l water (2.2 pounds) = 21.2 total.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Do you know your FSO?
    If I remember right you're a fairly big mileage fella too?
    Seems common enough- take that 20% number and cut it in half- and you can double your hours hiked per day(to a point, and if your have the desire to).
    Not exactly an original thought by any means, but real life evidence of it always gets me curious.
    My FSO weight adds 4 pounds, including 17 ounces of trekking poles.

I used to put up moderately high daily mileage (15-25 mpd down South), but my knees are starting to slow me down as I've had to moderate my stride for a mid-sole strike and force myself to rest on extended downhills.

I agree though, once I got my FSO weight down below 30 pounds I was able to hike a lot further over the course of a day, in large part because my feet weren't as sore. I can carry more weight when needed (I've got "stupid strong" quads), but I'm getting old enough that connective tissue starts to make itself known.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

By my door, I currently have a pack loaded for a 3 day hike before reaching the 1st resupply for a 9 day trip. I'm planning on hiking about 55 miles for those 1st three days. Baseweight is 9.3 lbs including a big camera, 1 qt of water (2lbs), and 7 lbs of food. (18.3 lbs total). Looking at some of the lighter food weights listed here, my food weight must be why I never seem to loose a lot of weight backpacking including thru-hikes.

If I was on a short hike like the OP mentioned, I would be more likely to bring luxuries with me. So add to my normal base weight a box of wine (that's like 4 lbs) and some scrumptious food items like a kielbasa to cook over the fire (1 lb) and a small cherry pie (maybe 1-2 lbs).

To me, UL is for banging out miles on a thru hike. But on a more leisurely trip I would certainly bring the luxuries mentioned above, at the very least!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    If I was on a short hike like the OP mentioned, I would be more likely to bring luxuries with me...To me, UL is for banging out miles on a thru hike. But on a more leisurely trip I would certainly bring the luxuries mentioned above, at the very least!
    I also carry more stuff on a short trip, especially at an 11 mile/day pace. I'd bring something to keep me occupied for the remaining 20+ hours in the day. My pack would probably creep into the 15 pound range including food, then add water depending on sources.

UL doesn't mix well with leisurely hikes especially with non-UL hikers. Different tools for different jobs, as Mags always says.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I will offer this. http://youtu.be/L-w4pjjXUnE

There are a few items that would be removed for current weather conditions but this is a good start.

Good luck.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ugaking View Post
    Including tent or hammock, stove, food, etc. for this time of year in NC.
    Base weight would be about 5 lbs and food maybe another 6. Just guessing on food because I would normally do that distance as a day hike. The base weight is accurate because I just did an overnight in NY and actually weighed my pack for once and I would take the identical gear for your trip scenario. Throw in a liter of water and I would walk out the door with about 13 lbs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Base weight would be about 5 lbs and food maybe another 6. Just guessing on food because I would normally do that distance as a day hike. The base weight is accurate because I just did an overnight in NY and actually weighed my pack for once and I would take the identical gear for your trip scenario. Throw in a liter of water and I would walk out the door with about 13 lbs.
    Hi Malto, would you post your gear list? Thanks I'm not sure that I could get that low, but it would be fun to try.

M. Bird

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Hi Malto, would you post your gear list? Thanks I'm not sure that I could get that low, but it would be fun to try.

M. Bird
    Here's off the top of my head.

3 season shelter - MYOG cuben mid with separate bug inner (similar to MLDs solomid with inner - 18 oz.
    neoair xlite - 8oz.
    quilt - 20deg Golite UL-20 (old design) -20 oz.
    ground cloth/poncho tyvek - 4oz.
    pack - MLD burn (modified) -12oz
    windshirt - 4oz.
    food bag and stuff sack 1oz.
    Water bottles -2oz.
    Misc crap - few oz.

Am I the only one here who carries 2.5 lbs per day of food? Even if I can get up to 125 calories/oz, which isn't especially easy with palatable food, that gets me to 5000 calories per day. Based on all the calculators I have seen online, I am burning 5,700-6,500 calories per day so I am still at a deficit and when I go out with 2.5 lbs/day. I come home starving so the calculators seem accurate. I am male 6' 189 32'' waist for what that is worth.

To answer OP's question: 13 lb baseweight + 2 lbs water + 7.5 lbs food so 22.5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Actually, 33 miles would only be a dayhike. So that would be some snacks, no dinners or breakfasts even, a sawyer mini for water (or nothing), and a few necessities just in case you were stuck overnight. Under 5lbs all in- easy.
    Of course Matt Kirk would likely call that a morning run and shave that weight to 2-3 pounds. Guess there's always a faster fella around the corner

Or you could just let the fella take his 3 day hike and leave his trip at his pace. Since 15mpd is the average THRU hiker pace, 11mpd seems like a fine choice.
    Thanks JB. 5 hikers in their late 40's who don't get on the trail as much as we would like. Looking forward to a great trip.

Thanks to all! Lot of great info. Looking forward to a great time on the AT hiking Clingman's to Fontana.

Recently did a 30 mile/3 day (close enough?) from Iron Mountain Gap to 19E (over Roan Mountain, etc.). I think I started the trip with about 15 lbs on my back (including food, and 1L of water, and my 20* Montbell). I usually try and get off the trail by lunch time on the last day, so that helps keep food weight down.

Skin-out weight was probably about 18.5 lbs.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

Sub 8 lbs. I'm with JB. A 33 mile hike prolly wouldn't be a 3 day hike in NC at this time of the yr for me unless I was doing something significantly additional to trail hiking -fishing, botanical identifications, climbing, etc. For that many miles this time of the yr I would prolly go stoveless as well. I may even do a primitive living survivalist minmalist type 33 miles further likely reducing the wt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++