Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
Great advice, Bill. I think I will weigh each thing next time, just to check out how far off the listed weights of things are.

My wife and I are already trying to figure out how to split the food for a 6 day trip to Wind River Range. If I carry all the food as I normally do, then I will be at about 20-24 lbs just for food, making my pack around 40lbs. Her pack would remain it's normal trip weight of 18-20 (since she normally carries no food). Of course, my weight will go down each day as we eat the food, but still, the initial 3 days will be fun!
Weight is weight- split the food 1/3 for her and 2/3 for you. I know there's exceptions and some folks hike connected at the hip- but it's always a bad idea for any hiker not to carry any food, that's a "just in case" not to violate.
You can shuffle around the group gear if needed to keep her total lower- or better yet- you each carry a little heavy the first half of the trip and each benefit from eating the weight down.

Nothing wrong with doing a little hero hauling, but being a gentleman and all- in the name of equality mind you- each member should carry their fair share. That way you are both on the same pace and energy level, no point in you being all tuckered on day one and light and free on day six when you can both share those feelings equally.