Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New FT hiker who lives in NE Fl weekend hike reccs...

I often travel to north Carolina for work so most of my hikes are on the southern AT....I live in Atlantic beach just outside Jacksonville and want to start hiking the better sections of the FT.. I also travel around the state so other must see areas also...(winter only & no road walking..... High heat and pavement don't appeal to me.). Any recommendations as I always hike with my shorty jack Russell and want to start bringing my 8 yr old son. I'm used to hiking 15+ miles per day on the Ga - Va sections of the AT so higher milage don't bother me or my dog....wouldn't plan more than 5-8 per day with my son as he's never been on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

http://floridahikes.com/ Check out Florida Hikes! if you haven't yet. There is some excellent info on the FT and other trails around Florida.

The Ocala section of the Florida Trail is a real jewel, plenty of water and lots of wildlife. Also the Eglin section of the FT is very nice, lots of streams and rolling hills.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

I've only hiked about a third of the Florida Trail (Apalachicola National Forest/Tallahassee through the Ocala National Forest) but so far the section between Tallahassee and White Springs, especially the portions along water (Gulf of Mexico, Aucilla River, Suwannee River) are the nicest to me. Much of this section should be do-able as a day trip for you.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'm pretty sure I can answer most questions concerning the trail between White Springs along the Suwannee and Gold Head Branch State Park near Keystone Hikes.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hey there! While not part of the Florida Trail, may I suggest checking out the Guana/Tolomato National Research Reserve about 20 miles south of you just off A1A; that is, if you aren't already familiar with it. It's got some great trails, but I'd wait until it cools down a bit. I'm still itching from the chiggers the last time as was out there a couple of weeks ago.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Guana does have some nice trails and we do group hikes out there. I also like Little Talbot.

For chiggers/ticks, it's hard to beat treating your clothing and footwear with permethrin.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I'm more into weekend hikes, I enjoy being out for a few days...what 30-50 mile section would u recommend. I go all over the state for work so travel not a problem...how hard to get shuttled..all my hiking ha done on the AT....

Images

I had 19(!) ticks crawling on me after I hiked Ocala. Where can I get this permethrin? thanks! manzana

I bought a bottle at Walmart. However _I_ slather X Deet (100% if I can get it) on my ankles and up on my legs. Don't want to even think about Lyme disease!
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

To save some money I purchase permethrin in bulk at amazon.com as the local Tractor Supply Store was out of stock. I mix my own at double strength from the pre-diluted brands and still its less expensive. I guess this investment is only worth it if you use permethrin regularly and for a fair amount of stuff.

I addition to DEET I use ChiggAway, a sulfur based bug repellent. It's supposed to be better at repelling ticks, chiggers, and arachanids in general. DEET is supposed to better for repelling mosquitoes and other flying insects. I also set up a small duster with sulfur powder but haven't tried it yet. Plus I now use Dr. Bronners Tea tree Oil infused soap for showering. Tea Tree Oil is supposed to be a general bug repellent. I also take MSM joint supplement so an internal ingestion of sulfur.

I guess all this is working or I'm very lucky as I didn't have a big problem with ticks when I was in the Ocala National Forest a couple of weeks ago. Maybe two or three.

How bad r the ticks in dead of winter....if we have a winter!

A few months back I spoke to Clyde Butcher, for those of you who don't know, he is a photographer who roams the swamps and backwoods of Florida as a profession. Clyde told me that he goes to PetsMart and buys a couple of flea collars and connects them to his shoe laces. He said that he has never seen a tick on his body in all his years in the Florida wilderness, or anywhere else. Personally, I'm a tick-a-phobe, so I treat my clothes/shoes with permethrin as I would rather be safe-than-sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by db0417 View Post
    A few months back I spoke to Clyde Butcher, for those of you who don't know, he is a photographer who roams the swamps and backwoods of Florida as a profession. Clyde told me that he goes to PetsMart and buys a couple of flea collars and connects them to his shoe laces. He said that he has never seen a tick on his body in all his years in the Florida wilderness, or anywhere else. Personally, I'm a tick-a-phobe, so I treat my clothes/shoes with permethrin as I would rather be safe-than-sorry.
    Love his photos! Good idea...

Images

The ticks in January were ferocious 2 years ago around the shelter in Osceola. It was a nightmare. But to be fair, I wasn't wearing any repellant. I am sure it is a very spotty thing since I have been thru there with no problems at all. What a disgusting creature. manzana

In North FL chiggers and ticks can be bad all winter. Permathrin shoes, socks, pants and shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    In North FL chiggers and ticks can be bad all winter. Permathrin shoes, socks, pants and shirt.
    and pack.

plus a few words to make the 10 character minimum post.

Journal Entries

Yep. Grew up in n. Fla. Recall one Jan when home from college I took dog for walk in woods, parents had white carpet. Found dozens of small ticks on dog and carpet in house afterwards. Like about 40 ish I recall.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Hi everyone! I just moved to Atlantic Beach after my AT thru and am looking to get some exposure to the FT. Unfortunately, I do not have a car (and probably won't be buying one.) Is anyone on WB planning hikes or trail maintenance soon? If so, think I could tag along for some gas money?

Appreciate it!

Have you tried contacting the Florida Trail Association? I'm not sure where Atlantic Beach is, Jacksonville St. Augustine area? But there should be FTA members near you. When I was in the FTA we welcomed anyone to come along paying members or not. May lean on you to join though. ☺
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++