WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default And now for something completely different..........................

You're on the trail. It's your birthday. Other than beer or hard liquor what treat do you have in your pack to commemorate it?

Specifically, I am looking for ideas for sweets, yet any answer could be interesting.

I got new shoes on my BD last year.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Amnesia......

Was passing Hot Springs one birthday. Hiking friends got me a miniature pecan pie with a candle in it.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

We have a family tradition, not always observed, of doing a birthday day hike, followed by a nice restaurant dinner.

Sesame treats, love them little things

I've been out many times on my birthday and the only gift I can think of is . . . . to be out.

Images

Oreos would work for me. Or something else, except that it is illegal in my state.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Baklava - Jello Gigglers - Colmans Cheese Cake with Bluberries - Home Smoked Salmon Kippered process (Did that tonight). Salmon Jerky...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hoping to make it to Hartford TN by mine next year on the trail. The general store there has this amazing BBQ sandwich that I am planning to celebrate with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I've been out many times on my birthday and the only gift I can think of is . . . . to be out.
    Winner!!!!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I long ago stopped getting gifts on my birthday so when and If I'm alone whether hiking or not, nothing. But a Cheeseburger and a Milkshake sounds pretty good to me.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The best present is to be out: winner!

Beyond that, a new piece of gear, a chocolate cupcake steamed over my stove, and perhaps a wee spot of very good whisky. (I've got a bit of 16-year-old Islay in my flask. It's been sitting there for a bit because I so seldom actually want a drink on the trail. But, ohhh, it's nice when I do have it.)

If Mother Nature can refrain from sending a foot of snow my way, that's a distinct 'plus'. If I can go on already-broken trail, that's even better. If the broken trail hasn't been postholed, melted and refrozen into a slushy mess, that's better still. I'm perfectly content to have my ice axe stay on my pack, thank you very much! (Can you tell what season my birthday is in?)

I'm not often out on my birthday. My wife likes having me home for it. And I like spending it with my wife. That can be even better than getting out.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Baked a cake in an orange. Slice the top off the orange, off center, then scoop the pulp out of the larger section. You're making a cup from the larger bottom, and a cap from the top. Leave the pulp in place on the cap. Use any instant cake mix to make batter, fill the bowl about two-thirds full, and put the cap in place. Wrap in foil and bake in the campfire for maybe 15 minutes. The pulp drips juice into the cake and flavors it. First tried this up on the Resurrection Trail up in Alaska.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Good ideas!!

C'mon folks!! Let's hear more. I know there are many of you out there that wish you had something in your pack for your birthday. What would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Amen Brother. My birthday is March 21. Snow is almost guaranteed at elevation. A perfect present.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Amen Brother. My birthday is March 21. Snow is almost guaranteed at elevation. A perfect present.

Wayne

OK. Fresh snow. A small cozy fire. From my pack I retrieve a Belgian tripel ale. That would be good.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Baked a cake in an orange. Slice the top off the orange, off center, then scoop the pulp out of the larger section. You're making a cup from the larger bottom, and a cap from the top. Leave the pulp in place on the cap. Use any instant cake mix to make batter, fill the bowl about two-thirds full, and put the cap in place. Wrap in foil and bake in the campfire for maybe 15 minutes. The pulp drips juice into the cake and flavors it. First tried this up on the Resurrection Trail up in Alaska.
    Most cake mixes call for oil, water, and two or three eggs. I assume your cake-in-an-orange trick is modified for the trail. So are you using just water?

I turned 18 on the AT with cake on top of Mt Lafayette, with hiking friends. Unforgettable.

Really good Swiss (or similar quality) extra dark chocolate bar with embedded pieces of fruit (orange rind, dried cherries, or dried apricots).
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++