WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I believe that part about no social skills, from my encounters with Ward in 1990. A hiking machine for sure but as a person, definitely a few screws loose. To most of us, he was spooky to be around, the dude just radiated bad karma. From trail days 1990, with heartfelt audience participation:
    All I think of when I see that photo is;
    If dude's hiked all the time in shorts like that, why are they so opposed to a skirt?

All hikers stink, regarding the one in question; hopefully we're at the point his stink has long since blown by and we can talk about the many amazing things he's done.
    We all hike to kill our demons, some are just fighting battles we don't always understand.
    I don't know if he won his war and found peace, but he sure fought like hell.

the photo was at the talent show. it had nothing to with Ward's actual odor. they were making fun of him in a song parody

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the photo was at the talent show. it had nothing to with Ward's actual odor. they were making fun of him in a song parody
    Simile- a few pages after pithy

Back on topic- from Joey's blog-

"For everyone guessing out there, here it is...

When I started the trail I was aware of what the record was and thought, Lets see what I cal do. After 10 days average 36.6.MPD. I decided to push and see how I felt. After a couple of big days and feeling great. My confidence was growing. I decided to get my average up to 40 MPD asap. I did. Then I decided to bank miles for the Whites. My understanding was , leaving VT and starting the Whites. I had 19 miles in the bank. 1779 in 44 days. So I could bleed 5 miles a day thru the whites , a few more in Maine then pull and all nighter get Katahdin in the AM july 6-7. So 53.5-54.5 days. I guess that is a plan. But I have been flying by the seat of my pants. So we will see....

Also, someone mentioned I run on emotion. I totally do! Today my emotion tank was drain. But I love my dad and he knows it. Tomorrow is a new day"

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    I have a question. What was the mileage of the AT when award Leonard set his record?
    less mile than today, but also a lot less switch backed hills. a lot of the hills are easier to climb & descend now

good luck to JOEY
    stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    less mile than today, but also a lot less switch backed hills. a lot of the hills are easier to climb & descend now
    I think for someone with Joey, Jen, or Ward's abilities the trail was easier before the switchbacks. Granted it is less steep not now but these folks are not bothered much by steepness. They would prefer going straight up and getting it over with in a shorter distance. Just my opinion.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I think for someone with Joey, Jen, or Ward's abilities the trail was easier before the switchbacks. Granted it is less steep not now but these folks are not bothered much by steepness. They would prefer going straight up and getting it over with in a shorter distance. Just my opinion.
    Yep, I agree. For example, the new switchbacks on Roan MT are just a pain and ruined a perfectly good quick, but steep climb.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I personally perfer steep climbs without switchbacks. However, I'm guessing, for breaking records it's easier to do with switchbacks, because you don't need to go as deep in the "red".

Suppose a trail is 2,150 miles with NO switchbacks and you want to complete it in 60 days; you'd have to average 35.8 MPD
    Suppose a trail is 2,200 miles with switchbacks and you want to complete it in 60 days; you'd have to average 36.7 MPD

A lot of varibles, but I think in general it'd be easier with the switchbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I personally perfer steep climbs without switchbacks. However, I'm guessing, for breaking records it's easier to do with switchbacks, because you don't need to go as deep in the "red".

Suppose a trail is 2,150 miles with NO switchbacks and you want to complete it in 60 days; you'd have to average 35.8 MPD
    Suppose a trail is 2,200 miles with switchbacks and you want to complete it in 60 days; you'd have to average 36.7 MPD

A lot of varibles, but I think in general it'd be easier with the switchbacks.
    Don't think you're far off overall.
    Jen- 46mpd
    Matt- 37.7mpd
    Anish- 43.7mpd
    Trail grade is easier, overall you go faster. As you say, less time redlining the engine and you can hike longer. MPH and hours per day are the name of the game.

On a more immediate scale though- the switchbacks can drag on you, especially when you don't expect them (like recent AT adds). Also a bit of a drag to weave your way up for 15-20 minutes and look down and see the trail you've been on just a bit below you. On the other hand (maybe a flatlander thing) when I am up above treeline it seems like I'm flying.

Like anything on the trail- when what you expect to encounter occurs- no biggie. When the opposite happens- it's tough to take. I try hard to not pay attention to the trail ahead and assume it's all hard, we've all fell victim to the "easy section ahead" trap.

The only real hard thing is mileage drops. Mentally tough to hit a rough section and bottom out your MPH when you've been cruising along. I would say that's the harder thing to deal with in the MPH obsessed records. Joey at least seems to be bumming himself out over this more than anything trying to hold his daily goals. That wears on you mentally more than terrain.

not sure if the switchbacks slow down hikers or not, especially the record chasers. I liked running down the switchbacks & didn't mind the straight ups. i remember in 99' there were way less switch backs than in 2002/2003. Over the years i remember most hikers saying they preferred the ups to the downs(a knee thing) i always like the downs more myself, always good with the downhills and good to go on the uphills after a few weeks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yep, I agree. For example, the new switchbacks on Roan MT are just a pain and ruined a perfectly good quick, but steep climb.
    When I hiked thru there last year, I noticed that the old trail is still visible--probly from being such a deep groove in the surface. I guess you could still take that route if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    When I hiked thru there last year, I noticed that the old trail is still visible--probly from being such a deep groove in the surface. I guess you could still take that route if you wanted.
    Except that if you were doing a record attempt, then I would have to read 10 pages of debate over the validity of the record since you skipped a white blaze.

Updated the spreadsheet. I listed his position on Day 46 (June 29) as Lake of the Clouds Hut. His blog says he was at Lonesome Lake Hut, but that would have him walking 3 miles south that day. Lake of the Clouds location matches the distance he lists (milepost 1851).

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Updated the spreadsheet. I listed his position on Day 46 (June 29) as Lake of the Clouds Hut. His blog says he was at Lonesome Lake Hut, but that would have him walking 3 miles south that day. Lake of the Clouds location matches the distance he lists (milepost 1851).
    334 to go then- 33.4 for 10 days puts him at 56 days and a bit of room to spare- 27.8 over 12 days for a photo finish. Looking good for Mr. Camps!
    Best wishes on the final stretch!

If last season was the year of the record breakers this may be the year of the Joe's lol.

You're correct, I wasn't even thinking about a record when I posted this. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    You're correct, I wasn't even thinking about a record when I posted this. Sorry
    To: Odd Man Out

Hiked with Joey all of monday and most of the evening on sunday. Gotta say, it took EVERYTHING I had to keep pace, and even then I fear I slowed him down yesterday. He is one of the most down to earth people I have ever met, extremely honored I got to spend so much time with him on trail. He oozed drive and determination, I have no doubt he'll be setting a new record here in the next few days. He's an animal for sure, but he pushes hard for everything he's accomplished. He has inspired me in the small amount of time I was with him and can't thank him enough for the. Show him some support guys, get him to Katadihn! Good luck Joey! You've got this! Finish strong my friend.

-Pneumo

Any chance that the predicted hurricane will slow him down? Hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by Likeapuma View Post
    Any chance that the predicted hurricane will slow him down? Hope not!
    Absolutely, if it were to stall over Maine...happens all the time. Trail journals are full of torrential rain stories in the hundred mile wilderness.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++