WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Bacon, Bacon, Bacon Jerky

BACON.jpg
    Found this today, I haven't tried it yet, but am about too. Anyone out there that can add any review??
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Not of the actual product you mention - I just buy a slab, slap on some Bull's Eye or Guy Fieri sauces toss it in the Nesco - let it run all night... The oils, fats and added water will mostly end up in the bottom catch tray. Dump and toss the trays in the dishwasher if you have one. Expect a 50% reduction in weight. Spam shrinks even more to 1/3 the weight. because of modern manufacture of injection sodium as a preservative - you have nothing to worry about... its mistake proof. It disappears so fast - it doesn't need to be preserved.

so that's 4$-$6 a pound vs $34 Slim Jim.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-19-2014 at 23:47.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hey thanks for the tip WOO, I agree that it wouldn't last long.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

It's yucky! You know it's bad when they send it to the Arctic Circle, they think we'll eat anything here. But it's yucky. That's my official review

Journal Entries

I eat Oberto bacon jerky all the time, as well as pre-cooked bacon. Its...basically just bacon. Full of fat, which is what you want. 125-130 cal/oz. My major trail meat source.

I have no experience with slim jim version. Honestly, I think everything slim jim makes is crap.

Journal Entries
    Images

Even my dog turns down Slim Jim. ( cus he knows I have the good stuff)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Even my dog turns down Slim Jim. ( cus he knows I have the good stuff)
    you sittin bar side?

Journal Entries
    Images

I have to make two pounds of Kikkoman Teriyaki by tuesday, I use a premium beef marbled shoulder that doesn't have sinew.

Woo

Images

My son and I like Bacon jerky, Fathers HAM JERKY is off the charts delicious..............ton of flavor, thick, chewy, lightweight

Not cheap but have started packing it on my hikes, LOVE IT

Herd this morning Beef Prices expected to climb. Steers are unhappy
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-24-2014 at 02:28. Reason: un

Journal Entries
    Images

Oberto bacon jerky is pretty damn good.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have tried that bacon jerky. It is a bit n the chewy side, but OH MY GAWD is it good! It is like meat candy it is so good. ;-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I eat Oberto bacon jerky ....
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Oberto bacon jerky is pretty damn good.
    DITTO! I've tried lots of commercial jerkies, THIS is the one I like.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Not of the actual product you mention - I just buy a slab, slap on some Bull's Eye or Guy Fieri sauces toss it in the Nesco - let it run all night... The oils, fats and added water will mostly end up in the bottom catch tray. Dump and toss the trays in the dishwasher if you have one. Expect a 50% reduction in weight. Spam shrinks even more to 1/3 the weight. because of modern manufacture of injection sodium as a preservative - you have nothing to worry about... its mistake proof. It disappears so fast - it doesn't need to be preserved.

so that's 4$-$6 a pound vs $34 Slim Jim.
    WOO, do you dry the slab whole or sliced?

camping treat.jpg
    this looks good
    "May life be as spiritually rich as it is materially simple" Aboriginal Proverb

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    WOO, do you dry the slab whole or sliced?
    I do both, I have at home meat slicers and electric knifes and Cutco USA made knifes. Current production this week topped over three pounds of top round marbled shoulder of London Broil, the wife is mad as I have taken over the kitchen and the son is helping slicing it up. We are blowing out all of the low sodium Kikkoman and subsequent small batches will be made with the new Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki (Less Sodium at 18%)

A slab of bacon is pre-sliced - the meats for Jerky is in whole muscles ( No sinew)
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-29-2014 at 17:32.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by redzombie View Post
    camping treat.jpg
    this looks good

Hmmm..I might have to play around with this idea.

I also occasionally make something we call Pig Candy. It's basically bacon soaked in brown-sugar water, then covered lightly with maple syrup, and more brown sugar, before being put in the oven, to cook to crisp. I wonder if I could dehydrate that?

It would probably take a bit longer to dehydrate, because of the soaking in brown-sugar water bit.

Journal Entries

I found it no different then precooked bacon though w/ some BBQ sauce flavor added. Good, and the candy of meats, but no difference.

Also a shout out thanks to WOO for the SPAM dehydrating stat, WOW you can get it 1/3 lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Herd this morning Beef Prices expected to climb. Steers are unhappy
    Slightly off topic, but here I go:

A lot of the grain that was being grown for use as animal feed is being converted to ethanol and added to gasoline. The resulting shortage of livestock feed drives up the prices of the available feed and makes it more expensive for the livestock farmer to feed his herd and results in higher meat prices. The government wants to increase the ethanol content of gasoline to 15%. Guess what this is going to do to meat prices.

BTW- The 10% ethanol gasoline reduces your mileage by about 10%. The 15% blend will reduce mileage by about 15%. That is one of the reasons why your vehicle may not get the advertised mpg as the ratings are determined by using 100% gasoline. Unless I missed something, I didn't see the price of gas go down by 10%.

To make matters worse, if your vehicle was manufactured before the year 2000, the corrosive nature of the 15% ethanol blend can damage your engine. Newer cars have been manufactured to accept the 15% blend.

Gone are the days of 99 cents/pound ground beef!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-30-2014 at 13:36.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++