WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Throw some shrimp in there too. Let's make it a Portuguese trail dinner night.

Or save cooking the regular rice and beans until you have a campfire night. Who cares how long it takes. Stove fuel or heat isn't an issue. I amazingly just cooked the best(perfectly cooked) rice(reg brown rice) I've ever cooked over a campfire of all things in Arkansas on the Ouachita Trail that I found that someone left behind.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Harmony House has dehydrated red beans. Instant rice you can get anywhere. Add dehydrated onion, dehydrated celery (also available from Harmony House), garlic powder, thyme, marjoram, parsley, bay leaf, salt, black and red pepper. On the trail, add some cut-up dry sausage (abruzzese works well), rehydrate with boiling water, and add some olive oil. Let it sit in a freezer bag cozy 15-20 minutes while you do something else.

To be authentic, it should be pickled port butt or Andouille rather than the dry sausage, but I wouldn't trust either to travel in warm weather.

If you can find vinegar in single-serving packaging (minimus.biz has it, but theirs is expensive), tuck some in to dash over the stuff at the very end.

Of course you have to make any recipe your own. You can try starting with the proportions at something like http://allrecipes.com/recipe/authent...eans-and-rice/ and scale it down to the serving size you want. Then work out the amount of dehydrated stuff reconstitutes to that amount and choose the amount of water accordingly.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As mentioned above, just buy the beans from Harmony House Foods (they are precooked and dried) or rinse, drain and dry canned beans. Use with instant rice, dried onion, some granulated garlic, broth packet or bouillon, and whatever else sounds good. Easy. Cheap.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

For the authentic, Dogwood unfriendly variety: Ham and smoked sausage, hot smoked sausage, andouille, etc. are required.
    rocketsocks,
    After soaking for 24 hours and cooking for 2-3-4 hours, I doubt that lisa's red beans have much "tooth" left. They aren't mush, but they are soft. And tres good!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    For the authentic, Dogwood unfriendly variety: Ham and smoked sausage, hot smoked sausage, andouille, etc. are required.
    rocketsocks,
    After soaking for 24 hours and cooking for 2-3-4 hours, I doubt that lisa's red beans have much "tooth" left. They aren't mush, but they are soft. And tres good!

Wayne
    Yep, that wouldn't be toothy at all. I also love al dente pasta...haven't had andouille yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Lipton Sides has a decent red beans and rice, although it's a little short of beans in my opinion. Cooks as fast as any of the other Lipton rice sides; with a little summer sausage and hot sauce, it's pretty good, but nowhere as near as good as home dried.
    Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but as of last night, I really have to withdraw this recommendation. The recipe has changed in the past couple of years. (I'd been using up a stash of the old recipe, and didn't realize). Most of the rice has been replaced with vermicelli, which significantly changes the texture and flavor for the worse. I think they may have dialed the cajun flavor down a notch, too. Instead of decent rice with a few beans, it's a pasty mess, not at all appetizing. I'd mentioned in a later post that Amazon carries them in bulk; the reviews there were my first clue. Got some from the grocery last night to try. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but as of last night, I really have to withdraw this recommendation. The recipe has changed in the past couple of years. (I'd been using up a stash of the old recipe, and didn't realize). Most of the rice has been replaced with vermicelli, which significantly changes the texture and flavor for the worse. I think they may have dialed the cajun flavor down a notch, too. Instead of decent rice with a few beans, it's a pasty mess, not at all appetizing. I'd mentioned in a later post that Amazon carries them in bulk; the reviews there were my first clue. Got some from the grocery last night to try. Blech!
    Good to know. I always try to avoid those "rice" mixes that stretch it with pasta. Not a good sign.

Journal Entries
    Images

I had a liptons Red Beans n Rice last night with shaved beef jerky in it. Wow was it good.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Cool

Red beans & vermicelli?
    "The Horror!"
    Fail. Definitely fail.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++