WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default When you hike alone...

Do you pretend or infer that you are meeting up with your spouse or your group will be along shortly?

Do you point to your tent and hint that you have a man (with a gun AND machete, of course) hidden in there, when you go to talk to other people camped near you?

Some people (usually day hikers) ask, in horror, point blank, "Are you backpacking ALONE!?!?!". What do you say?

If you are a guy, what advice would out give to wives/girl friends/sisters/etc?

Images

Much of this depends on where and when you are hiking. I would happily drop my daughter off alone on Springer in March or April for a thru-hike and have zero concerns about her being "alone." Frankly, she was in far more danger of being assaulted on her college campus.

Hiking in a much more remote area, or time of year? Then I might have some concerns, though assault is lower down the list, below hypothermia, falling, Lyme disease, etc.

It's never a good idea to tell strangers one's plans while hiking, especially alone, male or female. I tend to be vague about where I'm heading or how long I'll be out on the trail. It's not that hard to imply that I'm hiking with someone else who happens to be coming along real soon.

Now that I've said all that, what are your plans? If you're planning an AT thru-hike in either direction, you'll quickly find out that hikers watch out for one another.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Depends on the "feel". If I'm uneasy, I just say that I started out earlier than the younger crowd this morning and I have to keep moving or I get run over by the young pups.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    ... If you are a guy, what advice would out give to wives/girl friends/sisters/etc?
    To be honest, I tell my wife and daughters not to hike alone. That being said, I don't hover over them. My wife is often out of my sight when we hike. We each hike at our own speed which results in each of us being alone much of the time. She does not camp alone.

She keeps a whistle handy and would blow it if she felt threatened in any way. The sound of a whistle carries farther than the sound of a voice.
    Shutterbug

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If strangers ask about my plans I am usually very nonspecific. People that I don't know have no need for the information and I feel safer not telling them where I'm headed or where I plan to camp. If i am camping alone and someone asks, I do imply that people are meeting up with me at some point.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you are a guy, what advice would out give to wives/girl friends/sisters/etc?
    The desire to live and sleep outdoors is a rarity in American culture and so anyone who shows an interest in it should be encouraged and supported whether male or female. Since there's so much of Nature and so little of me, or of you, I suggest everyone get out on solo trips as much as humanly possible no matter you gender. If Christine Thuermer can do it, anyone can---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspo...out-me_03.html

Otherwise we live in fear and squander a life away indoors. The solo women I see are a unique breed and become over time independent, tough and strong. They use common sense and experience and for the most part laugh at the American preoccupation with Fear.

I hike and backpack alone much of the time. I've never been in a situation where I felt the need to infer or pretend that I'm with a man or a group. Most hikers know not to ask a lone woman if she's alone. The ones that ask do so out of concern and I appreciate that. I usually say, "There's tons of people out, I'm not really alone." And I carry pepper spray.

ETA: I've had to overcome some fears to be able to backpack alone, it hasn't been easy. My biggest supporters have been male hikers...thanks ya'll
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 06-24-2014 at 13:58.

Do you point to your tent and hint that you have a man (with a gun AND machete, of course) hidden in there, when you go to talk to other people camped near you?
    I would probably alert authorities that you were a danger to yourself or others.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I would probably alert authorities that you were a danger to yourself or others.
    I see that you are back to trolling people then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I see that you are back to trolling people then?

And I see you are wrong....AGAIN
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

+1 to Tipi's comments.

So many people never allow themselves to be alone anymore period in our frantic and electronically connected world. To be alone in the woods with my thoughts and reflections is a gift I try to encourage everyone to give to themselves. I do think it wise to be prudent in what you disclose to strangers.

When I am out hiking I am much more concerned about leaving my family at home than I am about myself. For that reason try not to discuss details of any of my hikes on Social Media sites until after they are completed.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

And I see you are wrong....AGAIN
    I'm fairly certain that I'm spot on. You post a lot of very useful information to this site, it's just a shame that those comments are substantially outnumbered by all of the pointless negative comments you add.

I'm also confident that you already know this and don't care, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to type this post...

Let me waste a few seconds and expand on my reply to YOUR post.

You said "when you go to talk to other people camped near you"

If you approached me and out of the blue told me there was a man in your tent with a gun and a machete, I would think you were unbalanced. I would write to that fact in a trail register and probably tell someone you needed looking after.

If I was out to do you harm, I would probably assume you were lying, because sensible people that do carry or travel with a companion that does carry....do not announce it to other strangers around them. Only someone lying or unstable would announce who was and wasn't armed.

That is why I only made the comment on that one part of your question, not the question it's self.

People who you know to be hikers can be trusted. Hikers often do look after one another. Particularly if you've already camped with or shared a shelter with them, or hiked more than a day or two with them.

Anyone else, be vague about where you're headed, where you're staying, etc. The closer you are to a trailhead, the more likely you are to run into non-hikers with less than perfect intentions. Trust increases with distance from the nearest trailhead.

But I'm male, so I'm in no position to mansplain basic safety to females.

99.9% of encounters are a non-issue, but if you get the heebie jeebies- trust your gut and be prepared to move on. As Walter mentions, outside of very popular places, or even off-season, you are more likely to run into mother nature than other folks. Town is actually the bigger issue in my opinion, but like all other fears in the woods, it takes time to realize this.

For any solo hiker- a little "street wise" attitude is worth having.

It's generally wise to infer companions just ahead, not behind. Behind implies you need to stop and wait, ahead allows, " Did you see Bob up ahead, big guy, ex-marine, always hikes too fast? Well I better hurry and go catch him"
    Keep your plans to yourself, this doesn't need to be rude, play the free spirit. "Where are you staying tonight?" "Wherever the trail takes me!"

Instincts-
    Trust them. Hikers have a look that is easy to recognize. Attitude, appearance, etc should all fall in line with this expectation, if not, move on. Be aware of your surroundings and who is ahead/behind you on the trail. Ensure that uncomfortable encounters don't choose to follow. Don't be afraid to change direction if needed- being "lost" and turning around when someone follows you is not a big deal.

Stopping-
    It is not uncommon to stop, eat, wash, and move on- even at AT shelters. A good practice is to do these things while you get the lay of the land. If you are unsure of your companions, simply finish your chores and press on.
    Stealth camping/dispersed camping- learn how and get comfortable with it.

Sleeping-
    It is not rude or inconsiderate to decline to share a private campsite. It is unfair to declare this at a public one (shelter, listed site, etc.) Feel free to deny access, or be willing to move on. Blame snoring, early wakening, strange habits, raging case of herpes, or anything that seems appropriate.

Confidence is indeed the best medicine, but confidence takes time and experience- which must be garnered in the meantime. Exercise caution, stealth camp, keep a story handy in your head and practice saying it. Don't feel bad or rude, and don't provoke anyone. If nothing else, "I came out here to be alone with the nature" is an statement any outdoorsperson finds plausible and acceptable. If they do not, remove yourself.

If a solid bit of confidence building action is needed, many folks advocate a good whistle and small can of mace. Sometimes the simple act of carrying an item like this is enough to instill confidence.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 06-24-2014 at 14:41.

Images

people see my big guns and trouble averted....

and big guns-----i mean my biceps...

DLP:

I've thought about your question often - what to do when alone.

I take precautions to minimize my risk - but I do my hiking and mountaineering mostly alone. There is a risk I will slide off a hill, fall into a crevasse or otherwise become lost and perhaps never found. In exchange for the freedom of the hills, the risk is worth it.

I carry a two-way satellite messaging and tracking device and I try to send a few track points every now and then, especially before starting a hazardous traverse. As my aching back will attest, I carry appropriate gear for the season and terrain.

As for other people, I don't tell anyone on the trail my exact plans and I mostly keep to myself. If I am carrying a weapon, I never tell anyone I have it. Ever. No one would never find out I have it, unless I have to use it. I comply with all laws, including those of common sense.

My perspective is that of a 200 lb, six foot 2 male, so I don't normally get bothered on the trail. I don't know what it's like to be a small female - but I can imagine it must be uncomfortable sometimes. If I ever feel uncomfortable with a situation, I keep moving and stealth-camp off the trail where I can't be seen.

I love climbing so much, I would rather do it alone with greater risk, than not at all with none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROTFLOL....

I have an active imagination but it never occurred to me that the worst thing to happen to me in the back country would be a helicopter evac in a straight jacket.

I can see Mr. and Mrs. Winged Monkey picking up their tent and moving to the other side of the lake.
    Mr. WM: She's in her tent talking to her sleeping bag and pad. She just asked the sleeping bag what it wants for dinner. I think that there is something wrong with her!
    Mrs. WM: She just said something about getting firewood with a machete. OMG! She just asked her sleeping pad, "How many rounds we got left? Do we need a bullet resupply?"
    Mr. WM: She is really whacked. She's dangerous!
    Mrs WM: Oh krap! She's coming back over here! I'm going to hit the SPOT!

And next thing ya know... involuntary commitment for me. LOL

OK... it really has occurred to me to talk to my sleeping bag - but I've never actually done it. lol But, I'd never talk about weapons or bullets.

Thank you TipiW!!! Very helpful and working on getting there!

I tell my wives, GF's(I have several of both ), daughter, sister, female friends, and mother be wise be knowledgeable don't be bound up in fear. If a woman told me there was a man hidden in her tent with a machete I might think there was something seriously mentally wrong with her OR I might come right out and start laughing saying "are you serious?"

What I really do...

I'll talk about "we" instead of "me". Me, myself and I... or other people talking inside my head... (just kidding... although sometimes we all have a little voice...)

If I'm in cell phone range, I'll pull out my cell phone and start texting my dh and ignore whoever is trying to talk to me... and encounters that make me uncomfortable are often close to trail heads.

"Weirdest" encounter... I was with my sister and this guy (alone and about our age) comes up behind us real fast and says all happy, "Where are you girls sleeping tonight?!?!?!" I was sort of stunned... but my sister said, "We haven't decided" and we let him get ahead of us.

We thought, "Well, that is weird" and laughingly referred to him as the "Psychopath in the Red Shirt" for a while. I said that we had to stop because we were only scaring ourselves and most likely "Awkward Conversation Starting Guy" is more accurate.

Most people are nice. Oh... and when I do approach people it is to ask about water or trail conditions. And I don't pretend that I have other people in my tent.
    Last edited by DLP; 06-24-2014 at 15:18.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++