WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I don't hate DEET. I will use it on clothing not next to or on my skin if nothing else is available in some situations. However, here in the U.S I advise myself of alternatives that I feel are more in line with my proactive health concerns. I see Lemon Eucalyptus, and Picaridin as viable DEETalternatives. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultatio...okinetics.html http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/DEETgen.html It is known to irritate the eyes and in intense doses may induce neurological damage (Abdel-Rahman et al 2001, ATSDR 2004, Corbel et al. 2009). In very rare cases DEET has been reported to impair the nervous system, with symptoms including seizures, tremors and slurred speech, most often after exposure to high concentrations of the chemical (ATSDR 2004, Briassoulis 2001).
    Don't confuse "less studied" with "less dangerous." DEET has been studied extensively for a long time. By far, almost all the research has shown it to be safe. I used to use Old Woodsman, but I have not doubt that it was more dangerous than DEET (which doesn't mean much since I think the danger is minuscule in both).

I'm currently a full-time trail builder (life is good) so I spend a lot of time in the woods. I had been using a 40% DEET spray, but the other day I sprayed it onto skin and noticed irritation almost immediately. I think I'll stop using it.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I'm currently a full-time trail builder (life is good) so I spend a lot of time in the woods. I had been using a 40% DEET spray, but the other day I sprayed it onto skin and noticed irritation almost immediately. I think I'll stop using it.
    Some people are allergic to DEET. (There's hardly anything that someone isn't allergic to, but sensitivity to DEET is pretty common.) Try picaridin instead and see if you tolerate that better. Sensitivity to lemon eucalyptus is also fairly common, by the way. The things that are irritating to bugs are, unsurprisingly, often irritating to humans.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have used 3M Ultrathon- 34% DEET, Repel 99% DEET, Off Deep Woods, picaridin, homemade lemongrass & eucalyptus & citronella. The Ultrathon worked well for me. I too have asthma, not bad, but did not experience any side effects from my DEET/Permethrin combo. Individual tolerances my vary.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I have used 3M Ultrathon- 34% DEET, Repel 99% DEET, Off Deep Woods, picaridin, homemade lemongrass & eucalyptus & citronella. The Ultrathon worked well for me. I too have asthma, not bad, but did not experience any side effects from my DEET/Permethrin combo. Individual tolerances my vary.
    Yes, if you search for DEET effectiveness studies, results seem to show that there no increase in effectiveness above about 40% DEET. The 3M Ultrathon is good as it has some form of slow release technology, so although the % DEET is not high, it lasts a long time . But I would also put my vote in for Picaridin. I have found it as effective as DEET, but with the benefits of not dissolving any synthetic materials & not having that nasty greasy feeling on your skin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It depends a lot on where you are. It seems to be more common along the coast and in suburban areas.
    This is true, but it is still exists other places. In 2013 in NH, it looks like once you're past Hanover, there was little or no Lyme disease. Here's a map of 2013 Lyme disease in NH:
    http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/DPHS/cdcs/lym...s/maps2013.pdf
    and a table by county:
    http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/DPHS/cdcs/lym...county2013.pdf
    Keep in mind that Lyme disease has been spreading, so this data is out of date.

I don't think DEET commonly triggers asthma. For me, my asthma is triggered by chemicals. I think I get a small amount of irritation from DEET which could tip me over the edge if I've been exposed to something else. This may be me being too cautious. I will carry DEET and use it in desperate circumstances (awful mosquitoes and black flies, too hot for headnet). Some of the 'natural' insect repellents are worse for my asthma than DEET. I haven't tried all these (picaridin, etc.), because testing on myself can be pretty unpleasant. I'm OK with permethrin if I'm careful applying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++