WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Reporting Violations

I'm a little confused as to the proper way to report rules violations.

In the past, I've seen something that I believed should be brought to the Moderators attention and clicked the "Report Post" icon.
    But the instructions on the page that pop up seem to indicate that the "Report Post" icon should only be used for the most sever rule infractions.

So I double checked the Rules and item number 15 leaves me a bit perplexed:
    15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.
    This rule seems to say "PM a Moderator with a link to the post you believe is in violation", immediately followed by "If there is a post you believe is in violation, click the report post icon".

So should we be using the "Report Post" icon for any possible rule violations?

(BTW, nothing to report at this time... just asking for future reference)

It could be worded differently. They do nearly the same thing. When you hit the report post icon, you can enter a message and that ends up being PM'ed to the moderators anyway. It's slightly faster in that all the moderators and supermoderators would get the PM. On the flip side, you could PM or email a moderator or administrator directly. (Consider sending to any two.) It's easier to hit the report post as there will be a link generated. For both, the mods will generally see it as soon as they log in or even sooner depending on what devices they are using as there will be a notification of a PM. So either way is acceptable. The purpose of that rule is more for keeping threads on topic and to not have threads sidetracked by calling people out.

I think you are referring to the grayed text under the message box when selecting report post?
    "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."
    This might have been a default statement but we can see about rewording it.

Note also, while most notifications will be seen relatively shortly (<12 hours) it might take longer before a moderator has a chance to take care of it. So please allow at least 24 hours for someone to respond to it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I think you are referring to the grayed text under the message box when selecting report post?
    "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."
    BINGO!

I would suggest changing it to something like...
    "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts, and other violations to the WhiteBlaze.net User Agreement."
    ...where "User Agreement" is a link to the Rules page like it is in the bottom of your signature.

(As a side note, it is not obvious where to go to find the WhiteBlaze.net User Agreement. Including a link to it from the "Report Post" would seem to be a logical place to include such a link.)

As for Rule 15, I'll throw out a suggested change:
    15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should report it by clicking the 'Report Post' icon (an exclamation mark inside a triangle). If the violation is outside of a post, the user should contact a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the violation in question.

Thx for the clarification.

I just reported myself, thanks in advance.

...as I am unable to edit at this time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    BINGO!

I would suggest changing it to something like...
    "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts, and other violations to the WhiteBlaze.net User Agreement."
    ...where "User Agreement" is a link to the Rules page like it is in the bottom of your signature.

(As a side note, it is not obvious where to go to find the WhiteBlaze.net User Agreement. Including a link to it from the "Report Post" would seem to be a logical place to include such a link.)

As for Rule 15, I'll throw out a suggested change:
    15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should report it by clicking the 'Report Post' icon (an exclamation mark inside a triangle). If the violation is outside of a post, the user should contact a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the violation in question.

Thx for the clarification.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am working on changing both of them now.

Thank you
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++