WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fording Tips for High Water Crossings

There have been reports of hazardous conditions at many stream crossings in Maine. In the coming months, these conditions will likely occur again at some point in Maine, and possibly elsewhere on the Trail. In some cases, the best course may be to wait for the waters to recede. If the water looks too dangerous to cross, it probably is. If the water looks fordable, follow the safety tips found on our website here, or cut and pasted below.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Safety Tips for Fording Streams and Rivers

Fording streams and rivers may be the most dangerous challenge hikers confront. River crossings can be deceptively hazardous. Even a very shallow, swiftly flowing body of water can pack enough force to knock you off your feet. Use caution and common sense. Carry a map and compass and know how to use them. If a section of the Appalachian Trail is closed or presents a serious safety hazard, hikers may take an alternate route or skip those sections entirely and still
    be eligible to receive 2,000-miler status.

Do not attempt to wade or swim across Maine’s Kennebec River. Dam releases upstream may cause sudden and rapid changes in water depth and current. One hiker is known to have drowned and others have had near misses fording the river. The official route of the Trail across the Kennebec is the ferry service for A.T. hikers, provided at no charge during peak hiking season. Current information on the ferry schedule may be found here: www.matc.org/Ferry.htm.

Other major rivers in Maine are unbridged and impassable after tropical storms and during spring snowmelt—use extreme caution and patience when rivers are high. Elsewhere on the A.T., even a small creek may become dangerous after exceptionally heavy rains. During or for a few days after storm events, it may be best to wait until water levels drop, or backtrack to a road to get around a flooded area. Bridges may be damaged or destroyed by storms and floods, resulting in
    unanticipated difficulties for hikers. Seek alternate routes if in doubt.

Some information in this article was adapted from Navigation and Hiking Tips by George G. Spearing
    [www.danceswithmarmots.com/navtips.html#2]
    Before Crossing

1. Scout out the best location to cross—Don't assume that the blazed line of sight to the other
    bank is the path you should follow. The volume of water flowing downstream is not constant, and
    the best crossing point can differ depending on weather conditions, temperature, or new hazards
    that were not present during low water when the blazed crossing point was laid out. Water levels
    and current are dynamic, so a good crossing point on one day may not be safe on another.

2. Avoid “chokepoints”— Look at the current and how fast it is flowing. Avoid crossing at points
    where the banks of the stream are narrow. The power of the current will be strongest here and
    could sweep you off your feet. If there is an island or sandbar in the middle of a stream, the
    current may be more manageable on either side, making it a good place to cross.

3. Cross at a straight section between bends—Imagine the bends of a river forming the letter
    “S”—the safest place to cross is generally the straight section in the middle of the “S” between the
    bends. If you lose your footing, the current is likely to carry you to the bank on the outside of the
    bend.

4. Speed of a floating stick—Throw a stick into the water and see how rapidly the water carries it
    away. If you cannot walk as fast as it is moving, then it is not safe to cross.

5. Attach your bear rope to your pack—Tie your bear rope to your pack, with the coil handy. If
    necessary during the crossing, you can let it go and recover it later. If a group is crossing, the
    rope can be used for rescue.

6. Repack and release your pack—If possible, repack your load in waterproof plastic bags or stuff
    sacks to enhance the pack’s buoyancy. If necessary, you may be able to use it as an aid for
    swimming. Before entering a river or stream, release the hip and chest straps on your backpack
    so you can shed it quickly if you lose your footing and get washed downstream.

When Crossing

The more body mass you have in a strong current, the less control you have—if you begin to
    cross and the depth of the water is above your thighs, turn around and look for a better location to
    cross. If the current seems too swift, turn back. If a river is flooded, wait for it to subside. If in
    doubt as to whether a river is safe to cross, don’t cross—find an alternate route.

1. Keep your boots on—Ford with your boots on. Boots provide the traction you need, as well as
    protection from possible hazards in the water. Crossing barefoot is never recommended because
    of rocks, submerged logs, fishing tackle, broken glass or rusted metal. Open-toed sandals are not
    recommended because they do not protect your toes, can fold in a strong current, and increase
    drag. Remove the boot insoles and your socks, and use gaiters. After fording, dump the water out
    of your boots, put the insoles back in, put your socks back on, and wring out your gaiters.

2. Use a walking stick—Always use a hiking staff when fording to provide three points of contact
    with the bottom. If kept on the upstream side, it is forced down into position by the current. If you
    don’t have a staff, search for a stout stick. A trekking pole can suffice for fording, but the narrow
    tip can get caught between rocks or logs on the river bottom and throw you off balance, so use
    care. Using one pole and securing the other to your pack will reduce overall drag and
    complication.

3. Don’t cross in long pants—They increase drag and won’t keep you dry or warm when soaked.
    Nylon shorts or underwear are best.

4. Cross facing upstream—In fast-moving water, move at a slight angle downstream but facing
    upstream. Lean slightly into the current, and shuffle-step sideways, keeping both feet, or one foot
    and your pole, in contact with the stream or river bottom at all times.

5. Cross as a group—If you are hiking with another person or a group, you may want to cross
    together, holding on to another person’s clothing or a shoulder strap of their pack. The strongest
    person should be slightly upstream to break the current, making it easier for the downstream
    person(s) to help stabilize the pair or the group.

6. Keep your eyes on the prize—While you want to be aware of where you place your feet, looking
    down at the current can be disorienting. Look ahead for the best route and concentrate on your
    goal, but don’t rush. Try the psychological trick of imagining yourself safely reaching the opposite
    river bank. It works!

written by:

Bob Proudman, ATC Director of Trail Operations
    Hawk Metheny, ATC New England Regional Director

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

6. Repack and release your pack—If possible, repack your load in waterproof plastic bags or stuff
    sacks to enhance the pack’s buoyancy. If necessary, you may be able to use it as an aid for
    swimming. Before entering a river or stream, release the hip and chest straps on your backpack
    so you can shed it quickly if you lose your footing and get washed downstream.

Not that all that isn't good info, but I think this one is the one thing that if people fail to do will cause them the most harm, and increases the risk of drowning....release those buckles.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the reminder, Laurie. We're planning our first Maine section next year, and it has 3 fords. It will be a new experience for us, and I hope it will be a safe one. We don't need an "eventful" trip!

I went for an unplanned swim in the west branch of the piscataquis river in Maine last year. It was up to my chest so I broke that rule. This crossing had a thick rope to hold onto while crossing.

I actually made it across twice, once with my pack, then with my friend's pack.
    unfortunately, my friend could not hold onto the rope. At least our packs were already across the river so it was easier to get across. Even so, we went downstream a hundred yards or so before we managed to get to the bank.

i would like to point out that having a little bit of upper body strength can be kinda handy in situations like this and is probably the last thing hikers are thinking of when training for hiking.

Images

I would like to add the following....

Never cross even the most innocuous looking stream at the top of a waterfall. A simple slip could be your last mistake.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter87 View Post
    I went for an unplanned swim in the west branch of the piscataquis river in Maine last year. It was up to my chest so I broke that rule. This crossing had a thick rope to hold onto while crossing.

I actually made it across twice, once with my pack, then with my friend's pack.
    unfortunately, my friend could not hold onto the rope. At least our packs were already across the river so it was easier to get across. Even so, we went downstream a hundred yards or so before we managed to get to the bank.

i would like to point out that having a little bit of upper body strength can be kinda handy in situations like this and is probably the last thing hikers are thinking of when training for hiking.
    Would it be helpful to clip onto the rope with a caribiner so you don't get swept downstream? Or is that potentially dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Would it be helpful to clip onto the rope with a caribiner so you don't get swept downstream? Or is that potentially dangerous?
    we considered doing just that but were concerned about the potential danger of that.

that is a very specialized technique used by SAR and other groups, while it may seem the obvious choice (and something I'd likely do as well) it can be very dangerous, so again certain knowledge of it would be recommended before attempting as it could leave you stranded with no way of escape and pinned down perhaps under water, like being dragged by a boat.

learning about self rescue is never a bad idea, but getting some professional instruction is even a better idea.

arrive alive

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    that is a very specialized technique used by SAR and other groups, while it may seem the obvious choice (and something I'd likely do as well) it can be very dangerous, so again certain knowledge of it would be recommended before attempting as it could leave you stranded with no way of escape and pinned down perhaps under water, like being dragged by a boat.

learning about self rescue is never a bad idea, but getting some professional instruction is even a better idea.
    Sounds like waiting for the water level to drop is the smart way to cross.
    Complicates the planning, though. If we've already bought plane tickets and we're locked in on the destination and flight schedules, and a big weather system moves in, maybe we need to identify some early exit points, and/or a way to reach an alternate destination if the section we planned on is likely to be soaked.

Complicates the planning, though. If we've already bought plane tickets and we're locked in on the destination and flight schedules, and a big weather system moves in, maybe we need to identify some early exit points, and/or a way to reach an alternate destination if the section we planned on is likely to be soaked.
    now that I understand,and ya have to do what us have to do. I'd rather float down stream unemcumberd with a pack and walk a mile to retrieve it (if it were lost) rather than take a chance at at getting hung up, but really with a little understanding you will likly be able to come up with some sort of belay system for your goods, I guess the main thing is to not be hasty in your chip Ed of of said system and really look several moves ahead on what it's put falls will be.

Wow, that was horrible texting, hope you were able to extrapolate...choices not chip Ed, whatever the hell that means.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    now that I understand,and ya have to do what us have to do. I'd rather float down stream unemcumberd with a pack and walk a mile to retrieve it (if it were lost) rather than take a chance at at getting hung up, but really with a little understanding you will likly be able to come up with some sort of belay system for your goods, I guess the main thing is to not be hasty in your chip Ed of of said system and really look several moves ahead on what it's put falls will be.
    If you do wind up floating downstream, job #1 is to keep your feet pointed downstream. Because job #0 is "don't smash your head on a rock."
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    If you do wind up floating downstream, job #1 is to keep your feet pointed downstream. Because job #0 is "don't smash your head on a rock."

point taken... I mean yes, good point.

Images

I was actually on that section of trail in Maine the weekend of the 4th. Conditions were horrible. I tried hiking from Route 201 in Caratunk up to Monson. It rained so hard the night of the 4th the ground around my tent became so saturated it couldn't hold the stakes and my tent collapsed. I ended up bailing in the middle of the night to the lean to at Pleasant Pond.

I decided to wait for a day, just to dry out and let the waters ahead recede. When I finally got up to Moxie Pond Rd two days later I came across a hiker that had barely crossed Bakers Stream (up to his neck) and couldn't get across Bald Mountain Stream. He fell in and had to self rescue, then he'd back tracked to Moxie Pond Rd. He was understandably shaken up.

I was hiking with my dog and had zero interest in taking any kinds of risks. So we teamed and got a shuttle out. Dick from Shaw's said they'd been pulling people out of the woods for two days. One guy was crossing using a rope and the current was so strong it pulled his shorts off.

I'd waited a day zeroing at the lean to, and the waters still hadn't receded enough to cross. Sometimes the smartest hiking decision is not to hike. Sometimes you need to trust that it's time to get out for a while.

Thanks for this post.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Accepting increased risk in an effort to remain on schedule. Pilots know this as "Gotta Get There Syndrome".

Good thinking to consider alternative as you suggest.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

If it's deep and fast but no rapids, can you use an inflatable sleeping pad to swim and then bushwhack back once across?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Bushwhacking is very underrated--find a safe place to cross upstream or down...finding an alternate route usually doesn't involve as much time or effort as one might expect...the alternatives of scheming to cross in a semi-safe or unsafe place, stringing rope, devising flotation systems, and drying out gear and clothing in camp, often take more time than just simply walking around the problem...the only advantage to the latter options is that they make a better story...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

5 miles north of Damascus a bridge was washed out over a year ago. since then the trail has been rerouted. the creek is 20 feet wide and maybe 8 inches deep right now with plenty of rocks to walk across. i've heard it will cost $70,000 to build a new little bridge. these southern trail clubs could learn a lot from the maine clubs

Default Walkin' the Dog

Thought it might show up, but as it didn't...

This is a tip that comes from many different folks, principally canoeing (Bill Mason), but applies well to any water crossing.

Get you one of these- http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=10034
    My dad used to work for a fiber drum manufacturer to the chemical industry, and these bags became a fixture during our scouting days (though a trash compactor liner would work too if sized appropriately). The size is plenty big for near any pack, and at around 8-10 ounces each, well worth it to carry if this is the difference between a safe, successful crossing or the end of your hike (or being forced to change your destination Miss Lil' Belle).
    4mil thickness seems to be a decent balance of durability and weight if you are kind to it- and it doubles as pack liner, though repacking every time is probably not worth it.

How to do it.
    When you reach said crossing, simply plop your load into the bag and gather the top. Inflate the bag and gooseneck* the top.
    *(fancy term that simply means twist the bag closed with about 6-12" of bag, then bend it over on itself and tie it closed)

Take your bear bag line and firmly secure one end to your new puppy. Take the other end of the leash and tie a loose loop to put on your wrist. Coil the line up so that you can carry your doggy on a tight leash as you make the crossing. Your pack will dutifully follow it's master without dragging you down or increasing your poor footing and imbalance. If the current is fast and your doggy turns into an anchor tugging you down stream, simply leave the pup on the near shore in shallow water. When you complete the crossing reel in the line and bring your pack to heel.

If you should upset while crossing- let loose the coils, or even the leash if needed. But often simply dropping the coil and making a swim for it allows enough slack in the line to make your way across.

Don't use the dog as a flotation device, the bag usually only has enough buoyancy for your gear.
    Although on that note- using a stuff sack you can place your neo-air, water bottles, bladders, and ziploc bags to make a decent little float for a doggy paddle if needed.

Walkin' the Dog- Rufus Thomas
    Mary Mac, all dressed in black
    Silver buttons up and down her back
    Hi, Ho from tip to toe
    She-a broke the needle now
    And she can't sew

Walkin' the dog
    Just a-walkin' your dog
    Well if you don't know how to do it
    I'll show you how to walk the dog

Ask my mama for a-fifteen cent
    To see the elephant jump the fence