WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm thinking it may not be worth it for me to try at best I could get in an hour of hiking Saturday then maybe 4 hours one way on Sunday before turning around.

Person Start Date Starting Location Days On Trail MPD Goal or anticipated miles for trip. Ending Location Vehicle Forest Rd Capable? Where do you plan to leave Vehicle Shelter? Tent? Hammock? Friend? Dog?
    John A. Friday Early AM Springer Mt. NOBO or Ga/NC SOBO 4 days, maybe 5. 15-20 mpd GA/NC line or Springer Mt Kinda, with difficulty. No chance if forest rd it wet. Springer Mt. or Hiker's Hostel Tent, hopefully never in a shelter. Nope. Nope.
    Zach N. Friday late PM Springer Mt. or Three Forks 4 days, end at noon on Monday. ~31 miles end at Neels Gap Neels Gap N/A Pick-up and drop-off. Shelter. ? ?

So far I have this.

Person Start Date Starting Location Days On Trail MPD Goal or anticipated miles for trip. Ending Location Vehicle Forest Rd Capable? Where do you plan to leave Vehicle Shelter? Tent? Hammock? Friend? Dog?
    John A. Friday Early AM Springer Mt. 4 days 20 mpd GA/NC line Kinda, with difficulty. No chance if forest rd is wet. Springer Mt. or Hiker's Hostel Tent, hopefully never in a shelter. Nope. Nope.
    Zach N. Friday late PM Springer Mt. or Three Forks 4 days, end at noon on Monday. ~31 miles end at Neels Gap Neels Gap N/A Pick-up and drop-off. Shelter. ? ?
    Ricky S. Saturday Springer Mt. 3 days ~ 31 miles Neels Gap Neels Gap Yes ? Tent, or hammock ? Yes.
    David J. Friday AM Springer Mt. 5 days Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more N/A Springer Mt. or Hiker's Hostel ? ? ?
    Naomi W. MAYBE ONLY Friday Amicalola Falls 5 days Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more Yes. unknown ? ? ?

Looks like you all have quite a group hiking.

If the weather looks decent I think I'll hike down to Springer starting Thurs afternoon, spend the night there on Friday and hike back home Sat & Sun. I think I'll use my hammock so I won't bring the dogs. So I guess for those keeping score, count me as leaving Springer Sat morning and getting off Sun at Grassy Gap.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    I think I'll use my hammock so I won't bring the dogs.
    I'm taking my hammock AND my dog
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

TRIP REPORT: I did a section of the AT this weekend. Woody Gap (21 miles from Springer) to Neels Gap (31.7 miles) and back to Woody Gap. I wanted to do it as a day hike. With side trails, it would have been about 22+ mile hike. It was my first time on AT with a full pack (35lbs). I've been exclusively a day hiker prior to this.

I started at Woody Gap (21 miles) at approximately 10:15am (very late start). I made it to summit of Blood mt (29.3 miles) at approximately 2 pm. Messed around at the top for a bit and made it down to Neels Gap (31.7 miles) at about 3 pm. Made it back to summit of Blood Mt. (29.3 miles) 4:30 pm Messed around for a little more and started descending Blood Mt. Got to Slaughter Creek (28.5 miles) for water resupply taking me to about 5:15 pm. Made it to Jarrard Gap (26.7 miles) at 6 pm. Made it to Dockery Lake (23.9 miles) at 7:40 pm. I am officially zombie hiking at this point. I consider stopping here for night. I decided my car is 3 miles away I got this. I still have 1.5 hours of sunlight. I got this. I continue hiking. I notice I am going up and up . . . and up for a long time. I am tired. Another 1/2 a mile I pull out my AT guide and I notice it is all up hill for next 1.5 miles. I was deflated and losing light. I push on for another .3 miles and I see 4 guys setting up gap and they had a fire. I talked to them briefly and they (and my body) convinced me to call it a day. I had blisters, but nothing to awful. I had worse, but they bothered me. Knees a little sore, but fine. My shoulders and traps though. Dear god, putting that pack down for the last time that day was an amazing feeling. I camped there for the night, and I was happy I did because we enjoyed talking around the fire pit until about 10 pm. We were all tired. They were on day 2 of a section hike of Springer to Neels Gap. We went to sleep. I did not sleep. . . at least not well and not until 4-5 am. We "woke" up 7:30. No breakfast packed up and I was on my way. Said goodbye and goodluck. I had about 2.2 miles left. Of which, 1.2 was straight up. I did the up easily enough. However, the last mile was the a brutal descent which took me forever. I also stopped and talked to some day hikers who asked me for directions. I arrived at my just she of 10:00 am.

Day 1: 18.3 miles. a little under 10 hrs. Average hiking speed 1.8 miles per hour, including all stops.
    Day 2: 2.2 miles. 1.45 hrs.

Overall amazing hiking. A little easier from Woody to Neels than Neels to Woody, but that may just be the difference of having just started vs just finished. Plenty of water sources at for the first 3ish miles after woody, then fairly dry until base of blood Mt. I was very disappointed in myself that I didn't finish it as a day hike, but overall I was happy I stopped and shared a campfire with those no longer strangers.

Ugh... Family and job commitments prevent us from doing this.... Enjoy!!! I will definitely be thinking of you all!

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

just trying to bump this, since we only have about 3 weeks left.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I will post update schedule list here tonight hopefully.

John A. Friday Early AM Springer Mt. 4 days 15-17 mpd Dicks Creek Gap Kinda, with difficulty. No chance if forest rd is wet. Springer Mt. or Hiker's Hostel Tent, hopefully never in a shelter. Nope. Nope.
    Ricky S. Saturday Springer Mt. 3 days ~ 31 miles Neels Gap Neels Gap Yes Neels Gap Tent, or hammock Nope. Maybe.
    David J. Friday AM Springer Mt. 5 days Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more Unicoi Gap 52.9 miles possibly more N/A Springer Mt. or Hiker's Hostel Tent Nope. Nope.
    Michelle N. Thursday Springer Mt 6 days shelter to shelter Unicoi Gap 52.9 N/A Unicoi Gap ? Nope. ?
    James B. Friday AM Springer Mt 6 days 15 mpd Bly gap ? ? ? ? ?
    Sharon A. Saturday AM Springer Mt 3 days ? ? Yes. Springer Mt. (need shuttle back) ? Yes. ?
    Connie L. Saturday AM Springer Mt. 3 days ? ? Yes. Springer Mt. (need shuttle back) ? above ?
    George D. Saturday AM Springer Mt. 3 days ? ? Yes Springer Mt. (need shuttle back) ? above 2 ?
    Last edited by Sly; 08-24-2014 at 21:09. Reason: deleted last names

Myself and two others are driving up Monday 9/1 and starting our hike 9/2 at Gooch Gap. Plan on hiking Tuesday-Friday with a goal of reaching Unicoi Gap.

Is this still on? The Facebook page us no longer available.

It should be. Ricky and I planned this. We haven't discussed a change.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2482...ilter=upcoming

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++