Default Seeking female hiking companion

63 year old married woman wants to section hike beginning in Georgia October 2014. Husband not interested. One or two weeks - as far as we can go. Just don't think it's safe to do it alone. I'm not fast, but eager. Did Katahdin this summer and now I'm hooked. Hope to finish by the time I'm 75. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

I'm not asking for a commitment for the entire trail - just a companion for this first leg.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and welcome to the Club of Solo Hikers with Spouses at Home.
    Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Hi Julie, I am not in the GA area, but I did want to encourage you to go ahead and go anyway even if you can't find a hiking partner. I am 56 and just finished 2 weeks, solo, on the AT, and it was fine. There were lots and lots of solo women out there, even some others "our" age.

Of course if you have health worries or there is some other big reason you don't want to be alone, feel free to disregard the above! But if not, you can do it, and it's better than staying home!

Jane

Section Hiker

Hi, Julie. I did most of GA solo in June. Here's my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHDNq...ature=youtu.be. The only thing that really freaked me out was a rogue lightning bug that slammed into the side of my tent while I was just dozing off. If you and your family can become comfortable with you going solo, I would seriously consider going.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze and welcome to the Club of Solo Hikers with Spouses at Home.
    I'll also encourage you to go solo if you are unable to find a partner! I have the fondest memories of my first 9 day solo trip. It was an unique and special experience.

slbirdnerd, Where you in Sequoia Nat'l Park last week? If not, you have a twin who dresses exactly like you in CA!

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    slbirdnerd, Where you in Sequoia Nat'l Park last week? If not, you have a twin who dresses exactly like you in CA!
    I wish, but no, that wasn't me! Stuck in the flatlands of Ohio till I get back to the AT in a couple weeks.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I will add to the list of people who will encourage you to come on, hike alone. You will be fine. I have done all of GA alone. I did sections, and only once did I hike more than a day without seeing/meeting people. I never felt uneasy about a situation except once, when I could hear drunk campers on the FSR 42 close to Three Forks. I just kept a low profile (kept my flashlight low and didn't make any noise during the night), staying in my tent until I heard them leave in the a.m. I was above them, and felt like they'd leave before they'd hike "up" - which they did.

I would suggest you take a phone (for safety, if you feel you need it), and to call for pick-up if you want/need one. Make sure you have phone numbers of the GA shuttle drivers - Hiker Hostel, Joyce and Sally, and several others. I've used both of those, and they are great. Reception is spotty - you'll most likely need to be up high to make it work.

Make sure your gear is good, your food is bear bagged, and just go. You'll be soooo glad you did. The folks in GA will help you in any way we can, I promise you. I would hope you'd do the same for us in your state. ;-)

Good luck!!!! You can do it!

I thru hiked the AT in 2010, loved it. I am looking for someone to section hike the PCT with next June for about 3 or 4 weeks. interested in switching trails.
    each step we take creates our path

How about a short hike - one overnight-in Maine in early September. Thinking of Pollywogs stream to Katahdin Stream campground or another idea you might have?

Hi - I watched your video - it was great. Perfect accompanying music and the photographs of the flowers were gorgeous. It was nice to get a feel for the Georgia trail. Have you finished section hiking the entire trail yet?

Julie, I will be moving to Greenville, sc sometime in Oct or nov. That puts me about 3-3.5 hours from springer mountain. I would be interested in possibly doing a week or two section hike with you. I have sent you a message via email.

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    Hi Julie, I am not in the GA area, but I did want to encourage you to go ahead and go anyway even if you can't find a hiking partner. I am 56 and just finished 2 weeks, solo, on the AT, and it was fine. There were lots and lots of solo women out there, even some others "our" age.

Of course if you have health worries or there is some other big reason you don't want to be alone, feel free to disregard the above! But if not, you can do it, and it's better than staying home!

Jane
    Be careful Julie, the difference between hiking at 56 and hiking at 63 can be half a life time. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by juliepatten View Post
    63 year old married woman wants to section hike beginning in Georgia October 2014. Husband not interested. One or two weeks - as far as we can go. Just don't think it's safe to do it alone. I'm not fast, but eager. Did Katahdin this summer and now I'm hooked. Hope to finish by the time I'm 75. You can e-mail me at [email protected].
    Julie, did you make it to GA? I'm planning to start at Springer around the 1st of May 2015 and hike for 7-10 days if you are still interested. Like you, I am married with hub not into backpacking. For past several years have done section hiking in spring and fall. PM me if you're interested in GA in the spring.

++ New Posts ++