WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Lots of posts here, I believe that it is quite important that if you are willing to give someone a ride, especially in a secluded area and to a bunch of girls, it is quite important to make them feel as safe as possible. Even if that means nots saying anything but have a nice day.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You should not have put yourselves in this situation in the first place. Too much risk.
    "I may walk slowly but, I don't walk backward."

A. Lincoln
    16th U.S. President

Quote Originally Posted by Uneasy View Post
    You should not have put yourselves in this situation in the first place. Too much risk.
    This.

And I can understand why it seemed creepy, but you might change your perspective, put down your guard, and take it as a compliment. Some fellows obtained a truckload of women and wanted to have a laugh over it.

Lighten up.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    This.

Some fellows obtained a truckload of women and wanted to have a laugh over it.
    That quote is one if the most genuinely creepy things I've ever seen written on this site.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

a.k.a. - "Jethro Tull" on the AT Vibes Man's Avatar

I agree that it doesn't matter how young, old, attractive, unattractive, one male or several males. Men need to know their boundaries. Unfortunately, too many don't. This situation turned out okay, thank God. But, a true predator relies on his victim(s) to underestimate a potentially dangerous situation and back down from using assertiveness by immediately getting out of the pickup and seeking some form of help. Predators rely on the innocence and naivete of their victims. Whenever the voice in the back of your mind tells you something is wrong, that voice is usually correct. You should listen to that voice. Never ever ignore that voice. Sometimes, that voice comes in the form of goosebumps, elevated heartbeat, sweaty palms, hair standing up on the back of your neck, etc. Regardless, it's always best to be safe than sorry. Imagine if the intent of these men were to wreak havoc with your four lives. The only things keeping you safe is your ability to never underestimate their intentions, not to perceive them as "good", "tombstone courage", and not heeding the danger signs. This situation should be on every female (and males, for that matter) mind, each and every day whether you're going to the grocery store or five miles from the nearest shelter.
    ...with lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
    I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
    For wanting things that can only be found
    In the darkness on the edge of town

Quote Originally Posted by Vibes Man View Post
    I agree that it doesn't matter how young, old, attractive, unattractive, one male or several males. Men need to know their boundaries. Unfortunately, too many don't. This situation turned out okay, thank God. But, a true predator relies on his victim(s) to underestimate a potentially dangerous situation and back down from using assertiveness by immediately getting out of the pickup and seeking some form of help. Predators rely on the innocence and naivete of their victims. Whenever the voice in the back of your mind tells you something is wrong, that voice is usually correct. You should listen to that voice. Never ever ignore that voice. Sometimes, that voice comes in the form of goosebumps, elevated heartbeat, sweaty palms, hair standing up on the back of your neck, etc. Regardless, it's always best to be safe than sorry. Imagine if the intent of these men were to wreak havoc with your four lives. The only things keeping you safe is your ability to never underestimate their intentions, not to perceive them as "good", "tombstone courage", and not heeding the danger signs. This situation should be on every female (and males, for that matter) mind, each and every day whether you're going to the grocery store or five miles from the nearest shelter.
    Yup, that's creepy guy 101. Any normal fella with any kinda social ques would know what they did was not only not cool, creepy, scary, and down right just plane stupidly inconsiderate (I'm giving the fellas the benefit of the doubt)...it's just unkuth. If it was My/Your daughters, I'd be down right lookin' for somebody to straighten it out.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Some fellows obtained a truckload of women and wanted to have a laugh over it.
    Lighten up.
    If that were the case, then the fellows should have asked about taking pictures BEFORE letting the girls in the truck... not after hauling them part of the way along a secluded road leaving themselves no convenient way out of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That quote is one if the most genuinely creepy things I've ever seen written on this site.
    Yikes; certainly didn't mean in that way.

In the part of my post that you omitted, I acknowledged understanding of why it seemed creepy to the OP. Just trying to add some perspective, and jump into the mind of the truck drivers and point out that it was likely a harmless situation. Bad judgement on the part of the men in the truck? Yes. Insensitive to the concerns of a group of female hikers? Absolutely.

But on a scale of 1-10 for creepiness, I give this situation about a 3.

"...If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." -Atticus Finch

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was trying so hard to avoid pointing out the horrific attitude behind this and thus bringing an abrupt halt to yet another thread. I so appreciate that there's someone else out there who recognizes how "wrong" the acceptance of this is. "Lighten up" my patootie....let's evolve and grow instead.

And thank you, GC, for not meaning this the way it appeared. I completely agree with you about trying to see another's perspective (nice Mockingbird quotation by the way), but in the moment, when one feels even slightly vulnerable, it's tough to subvert one's basic fear instinct to empathize with the "offending" party.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-15-2014 at 13:58.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    And thank you, GC, for not meaning this the way it appeared. I completely agree with you about trying to see another's perspective (nice Mockingbird quotation by the way), but in the moment, when one feels even slightly vulnerable, it's tough to subvert one's basic fear instinct to empathize with the "offending" party.
    Thanks for that, anyway.

I am truly regretful that I have offended.

I teach high school English at an inner city school. Part of my daily routine means recognizing the perspective from those with limited social understanding, and giving other humans the benefit of the doubt; trying my best to see the good in people and not assume the worst.

Not that it matters, but prior to that I worked at a juvenile prison (technically Law Enforcement) and before that I worked in community mental health with people that had severe mental disorders. I point this out to say that I know creepy, and I am no stranger to dangerous situations.

The "truckload of women" comment was only intended to point out the viewpoint of the truckers, who clearly had limited social awareness. I don't condone their actions.

I am with you 100% on the "evolve and grow" suggestion, T&S, but my years spent educating America's youth gives me the realistic notion that this also means accepting the limited social awareness that plagues the masses.

Hopefully this helps create understanding as to my true intent and message.

Over and out~

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hopefully this helps create understanding as to my true intent and message.
    And I in turn apologize for my knee-jerk reaction. Like everyone else, I'm subject to reading intent behind words that may or may not exist. It's something I try to avoid (the idea of "count to ten"), but obviously I failed here. (Time to turn off my over-worked misogyny detector)

Thanks for clarifying.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Well, if my daughter asked me the same thing I would tell her to get out of the truck and run if necessary. Who the heck cares about gear and flip-flops if in worrying about those things you end up in a bad situation. If something makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up then act on it. As sort of stated above, men also don't owe their time or attention to anyone. If you ask for help and accept someones assistance you get what they intend or can give. If you don't like it then stop and walk away. You can hope they are decent people and most probably are but, hope is not a proactive plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Uneasy View Post
    I disagree. Hitchhiking in general terms is not something I'd recommend. However, within the context of the trail, it is accepted and commonplace. I'd say the OP's friends handled the situation well, and got to where they needed to go safely (though they might have been clearer that NO they wouldn't participate in whatever "joke" the older men were planning). Heck, iIf the older men had any brains, it might have dawned on them that they were putting themselves into a somewhat risky situation by picking up the hitchhikers.

Other than that I tend to agree with the consensus here: what the older men did was creepy and unacceptable, yet also more a reflection of their age and lack of culture and not a nefarious plot. Basically, one more adventure on the trail.

When someone presents a situation as a huge problem, I try to turn it around to get another perspective.

Let's say some boys or young men were hitch hiking, and a group of older ladies picked them up and did the same thing; wouldn't they have a right to be upset or "creeped out"? Absolutely. In this day and age everything that "vulnerable", quick to get nervous or scared young women experience can be felt by the opposite sex. Any hiker potentially is packing heat, or armed with various weapons and may be skilled in the martial arts. People hitch-hiking are asking for a favor and as such make themselves vulnerable for good or bad. Personally I have never had a bad experience but once picking up a hitchhiker and that was in Quebec when the guy stank to high heaven.

Images

This situation would have been equally creepy had it been the other sex. I just wanted to share the experience. I have always thought of hitchhiking near the trail as an accepted and safe form of travel. This situation unfortunately has changed my mind.

Very inappropriate. Evidentially "dem boys" don't get to town much. Reminds me of the Andy Griffith episode where the Darling boys go to town lookin' fer wives.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

As someone who hitchhikes more than hikes, I dont see what was so scary. They got out and talked to you while you were in the back?? Ohhh noo, so scary. Maybe I'm just dumb and dont understand what "tell a tale" means, other than they told you a story.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If that were the case, then the fellows should have asked about taking pictures BEFORE letting the girls in the truck... not after hauling them part of the way along a secluded road leaving themselves no convenient way out of the situation.
    If they were just out of sight, then they had a perfectly convenient way out, especially being in the bed of the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    As someone who hitchhikes more than hikes, I dont see what was so scary. They got out and talked to you while you were in the back?? Ohhh noo, so scary. Maybe I'm just dumb and dont understand what "tell a tale" means, other than they told you a story.
    The way I understand it, they were wanting to take the girls back to their camp and show off to the other "boys" with look what we found awanderin' in the woods - dessert!
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    The way I understand it, they were wanting to take the girls back to their camp and show off to the other "boys" with look what we found awanderin' in the woods - dessert!
    These things will happen, be it in regular life, or on the road. And theres two ways to deal with it (three if you count not getting into the situation in the first place, but **** does happen), you either show fear, or you laugh it off. Statistically speaking, youre going to run into a lot more innuendo, creepy jokes, etc, than you will actual assault. Doesnt make it right, certainly, but it is what it is. Learn to go along for the ride and youll be surprised to learn that most of your fear is unfounded.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++