WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Dude, let it go. If you don't like it, change the channel. Friendly discussion is what the forum is about.

Okay yeah, they're attorneys. Happy?
    ha ha, perfect...do they hike?

Journal Entries
    Images

Haven't seen an Attorney hike..Most of them are possibly trail runners and love to lie... chasing the money trail...

Please don't PM me if cant find the damn humor in this... yea its dry so dry very dry... omg dry.... my hiking socks just rolled up an inch!

would you like a hashtag or smile to make folks feel better? that's the ticket! Yes Owls do stand up... late at night!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ha ha, perfect...do they hike?
    It depends on what the meaning of hike is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Haven't seen an Attorney hike..Most of them are possibly trail runners and love to lie... chasing the money trail...

It's just lyin'.

Images

Aye memories... Back in the late 90's bunch went to the Smokie's to hike. Based out of Elkmont, (dropped off) after spending the night hit the approach to the ridgeline. Stopped just shy of the ridge (AT)n for first nights bivouac. Hit the AT bright eyed and bushy tailed first thing the next morning. It was late March and hit AT, beautiful patches of wildflowers, interspersed with snow. End of the day was the nights shelter. Heres the kick... later in the evening 3 lawyers show up (Atlanta) and have hiked all day long to reach the ridge line. They were completely beaten and worn, carrying the latest high dollar gear. They informed all of us there, that they had ,had,enough. They were going back home tommorrow, if anyone wished to purchase any gear from them, you could basically get it for free. I guess they had not hiked before?

Journal Entries
    Images

Jumpmaster. If my last sentence was caused by a broken head to keyboard filter. I'll give ya ten and than" beat my boots with a full pack" and we move forward as brothers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Jumpmaster. If my last sentence was caused by a broken head to keyboard filter. I'll give ya ten and than" beat my boots with a full pack" and we move forward as brothers.

Ten and "... one for the Airborne, one for the Rangers and one for the Engineers". I haven't thought about beating my boots in years.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

Please don't PM me if cant find the damn humor in this... yea its dry so dry very dry... omg dry.... my hiking socks just rolled up an inch!

would you like a hashtag or smile to make folks feel better? that's the ticket! Yes Owls do stand up... late at night!
    often I ask myself "how did we get here" socks pulled up above the drum sticks on a sleep deprived owl who may need a criminal lawyer one day. stole your sun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Or brother & sister *wink*.

Airborne!

Journal Entries

From my dad's old 1947 edition of Webster's Collegiate Dictionary:
    Hike: To move with a swing, toss, jerk, or the like. To march laboriously; hitch. To walk or tramp.
    Camp: (n) The ground on which tents, huts, etc are erected for shelter. (v) To pitch or prepare a camp.
    Backpack: word not listed.

Therefore, since Mr Webster is a highly respected authority on word definitions, I must conclude that there is no such thing as backpacking, there are no people who backpack, and obviously none of you people are real.

You can't prove a thing. I was never here.

Where exactly does "trekking" fit in? Why does "trekker" or "trekking" require specialized gear? Hey.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I make a walking/hiking distinction, hiking gets you somewhere, walking doesn't. I walked 40 miles over the 4 July weekend but ended up at the same place, home, all three nights.
    That's an interesting observation.

...Sometimes I take a walk and end up trekking across town to go get a cup of coffee with a full load in my backpack in preparation for an up coming camping trip where I expect to do some day hiking Thru different sections of the AT for the weekend, inevitable I tire and take the train back sometimes, or just yellow blaze it...but I never blue blaze it home cause there's no trail to my house

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You can't prove a thing. I was never here.

Where exactly does "trekking" fit in? Why does "trekker" or "trekking" require specialized gear? Hey.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Trek: To travel by ox wagon. A migration, esp of a group in wagons, to a new home. Loosely, a journey.
    Per Webster, the only specialized gear associated with trekking is an ox wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Trek: To travel by ox wagon. A migration, esp of a group in wagons, to a new home. Loosely, a journey.
    Per Webster, the only specialized gear associated with trekking is an ox wagon.
    I dunno...maybe we should take a pole

That's an interesting observation.

...Sometimes I take a walk and end up trekking across town to go get a cup of coffee with a full load in my backpack in preparation for an up coming camping trip where I expect to do some day hiking Thru different sections of the AT for the weekend, inevitable I tire and take the train back sometimes, or just yellow blaze it...but I never blue blaze it home cause there's no trail to my house
    Sorry, forgot to say...Truth.

I think most backpackers fall into a spectrum: Ultimate hikers and Ultimate campers being the two extremes. Most are somewhere in the middle.

The hikers tend to like walking and constant forward progress more, while the campers, obviously, enjoy spending time in camp or time doing non-hiking related activities like fishing, etc.

Neither is wrong, but both do require a different approach to how you use your daylight hours, gear choices, even fitness. By definition I think most people attempting (and certainly completing) a long-distance thru-hike are more like Ultimate hikers.

Images

end up trekking across town
    Define Trekking !
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Define Trekking !
    A trek is a long, adventurous journey undertaken on foot in areas where common means of transport are generally not available. Trekking should not be confused with mountaineering. In North America the equivalent is backpacking.

Backpacking is generally an extended journey or walk with a backpack.[1] However, for North American hikers it more frequently describes a multi-day hike that involves camping, though occasionally it may involve the use of simple shelters or mountain huts.

Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants (known as campers) leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights outdoors, usually at a campsite. Camping may involve the use of a tent, caravan, motorhome, a primitive structure, sporting camp or no shelter at all.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Define Trekking !
    over the river and thru the woods

Images

over the river and thru the woods
    kind of like a walking vacation
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++