WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default I wouldn't recognize a deer tick if it bit me on the....

.....leg.

It's my second day with a fever around 100*. Yes, my joints ache and my chest is heavy. I'm starting to cough a bit. I've awakened twice now with a raging, persistant headache. Oh, and I've got bites all over the place.

Of course, in my world, this just means it's Thursday.

Yes, I've been hiking and wandering in the woods.
    No, I haven't applied any deterrent (allergic).
    No, I can't find a bullseye anywhere.
    Yes, I have pets who sleep in my bed and cuddle on the couch.

I know, these sound like flu-like symptoms, don't they? But the last time I had the flu it was significantly debilitating. This is not.

I should probably call my Doc and get a test, but that would be such a pain in the........leg.

I'd much rather just whine about it.......
    Last edited by Sly; 07-17-2014 at 19:53.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Teacher, hope you feel better. Could be Lyme, could be many other things. I would say if the symptoms persist, see your doctor. Be aware that the test has a high false negative rate. Even when they say you don't have it, you may have it.

Good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh I'm fine, Scotty...but thanks. This is just annoying stuff and I thought others might get a kick out of "venting". I will get tested if it persists.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Hopefully it will be fine. I too have a couple tick bites I'm watching but for now, there just itchy.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Take two aspirin and text me in the mornin'

hope ya feel better tomarrow Teach.

Images

You might want to check out information on the web. As few as 40% of the cases have the bull's eye rash. Lyme can be treated fairly easily if treatment is begun promptly. Left alone it can advance to very serious symptoms. Be aware that the cheapest test gives false negatives (says you don't have it when you do). My symptoms, confirmed as Lyme by test, were like those from the flu--malaise, mild fever, headache, but no bull's eye.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, yesterday the fever spiked over 102. Tonight it's currently 102.7 and climbing even after taking Tylenol an hour ago. If it hits 103, we call the rescue. Otherwise, I have a lyme test scheduled for tomorrow just in case. My doc thinks it's this new pneumonia going around though. I really was rather hoping it was no worse than a tick bite that I couldn't see, recognize or prevent. Oh well.

Ah, got ya, hope you feel better soon. I hadn't heard about a new strain, but got a pneumonia shot a few years back, due for another at age 65 they tell me, not sayin anything about anyone's age here...I'm just gonna shut now. Do feel better.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smart.........................leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Smart.........................leg.
    Yes, it's true, my leg has the IQ of a dairy cows ears .

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yes, it's true, my leg has the IQ of a dairy cows ears .
    That's Dairyaire

Journal Entries
    Images

OK T&S I thought I answered this last night - but I was crazy tired and had to go to bed ( I am up at 7 and go to 5-7 and 6 days a week... ) You have to request a Lyme & Rocky Mountain as I test positive for both from the AT hikes. The RM takes 3-8 days to get back from the Colorado Lab - get the tests and get your doc enthused about your heath.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh, se's quite enthused....I'm the one dragging my ......leg on this.

Journal Entries
    Images

Huh? OK . . . . . .. .
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

ooops....duplicate
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-18-2014 at 21:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm getting the test tomorrow. She wants me in her office or the hospital today. I think it can wait a little. So we compromised on seeing her Tuesday.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyway, while yes my purpose of this thread was to learn about the symptoms of lyme from the experienced and not a textbook, and yes I wanted to gripe about feeling lousy, I actually wanted to hear all the current aches and pains and complaints that are going on out there....not just my own!

After all, MISERY LOVES COMPANY!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

feel free to gripe on lousy just get the right tests.. we are all trying to root for you!

Woo

I got a trail building job for the summer, which has been awesome, but I found three deer ticks on me last week, and eight tonight. Yes. Eight. I'm now convinced there are some I've missed. I think I'm just gonna run a course of antibiotics at the end of the summer regardless. I dislike the idea of overusing antibiotics, but I dislike the thought of Lyme even more.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    feel free to gripe on lousy just get the right tests.. we are all trying to root for you!
    I appreciate that, WOO. I might just be a little cranky. Thank you for caring. It really does mean a lot to me even if I'm not relaying that very well just now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++