WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Who Wears Toesocks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't get blisters between my toes so I don't need them. I actually never understood why some people have issues there. On the trail, I take regular breaks every 1-2 hours where I pull my socks off to let my feet dry out and rub any dirt off my foot including the toe area. Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?

For me, it was mainly the ball of my foot that would get them. However, ever since I switched from boots to trail runner shoes and thin socks in 2007, I don't normally get blisters anymore. The only exception was the first week on the PCT in the desert where the surface temperature within a few inches of the ground was well over 110F which really bakes your feet. It was impossible to keep your feet dry for more then a few minutes so you needed thick callouses to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I don't get blisters on my toes so I don't need them. I actually never understood why some people have issues there. On the trail, I take regular breaks every 1-2 hours where I pull my socks off to let my feet dry out and rub any dirt off my foot including the toe area. Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?
    Wish I had an answer for that. I went -years- without getting more than an occasional blister. Starting this year, I was getting them on a regular basis no matter which shoes I wore, and using the same type socks I've used for running and backpacking for the last few years. The last straw was stepping out the door to run to school one day in June. In less than three miles I formed a large, deep blister between the first and second toes, and the top had already ripped open so there was direct irritation well into the flesh of my foot. Not a pleasant experience, and at that point I was willing to try anything to fix it. Switching to toe socks has eliminated inter-digital blisters as well as the standard front of toe/side of foot type I'd occasionally get. The only time I've had any recurrence was during the Mountain Masochist race a few weeks ago, and even that was just a couple of very minor ones after 50 miles.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I wore them on my section hikes up to about 3 years ago when I switched to mesh hiking boots. I think the "waterproof" boots I've used over the years kept my feet too warm and damp, and the toebox(es) might not have been wide enough.

My biggest issue with the Injinji toe socks was that they were tough to get dry. Since my problem centered on only one or two toes, I found that putting a gel-filled toe protector on the offending toe worked quite well, at least for a few weeks. I haven't had toe problems since I switched to mesh boots (plus my boots dry out a whole lot faster than my "waterproof" boots ever did).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I wore them on my section hikes up to about 3 years ago when I switched to mesh hiking boots. I think the "waterproof" boots I've used over the years kept my feet too warm and damp, and the toebox(es) might not have been wide enough.

My biggest issue with the Injinji toe socks was that they were tough to get dry. Since my problem centered on only one or two toes, I found that putting a gel-filled toe protector on the offending toe worked quite well, at least for a few weeks. I haven't had toe problems since I switched to mesh boots (plus my boots dry out a whole lot faster than my "waterproof" boots ever did).
    Quick tip for drying socks

When you set up camp and take your socks off, fill up a plastic bottle with hot water, put the cap on and slide your socks over it.
    The warmth from the bottle will dry your socks a LOT quicker

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    ... Is the issue that people don't clean their feet and it becomes sandpaper between the toes or is it some sort of toe shape that causes the issue?
    .. .
    That is definitely the issue with those of us who wear Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. If I wear them without socks, the grit from the trail gets into my shoes and acts like sandpaper. The socks help keep the grit out of the shoe and to the extent it still gets in, the socks prevent the grit from being against my skin. When I don't wear socks, I have to empty the grit from my shoes often.
    Shutterbug

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++