WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Who Wears Toesocks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Toesocks, Who Wears 'em?

When I first started doing my training hikes I was getting hot spots around my toes after several miles, especially between my big toe & the second toe. So I thought I'd try toesocks and they really did the trick for me.
    I've tried going back to regular socks to see if I could develop calluses but I always get hot spots so it's toesocks for me. I consider toesocks to be an essential piece of me gear.

Two years ago I switched to Injinji liner toesocks with lightweight acrylic hiker socks. NOBO'ed in 2013 without a single blister.

I'd try em, just haven't gotten around to it.

Section Hiker

I just got some and have worn them locally on short hikes several times, like them a lot so far. I don't want to speak too soon, but they just may help solve my dumb pinky toe issues. I got a couple pairs of the trail socks, and a couple liners to wear with my Darn Tough socks if I need to change it up a little. Excited to find out how they work with bigger miles on my August section!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

http://www.socksaddict.com/ Often has injinji and darntough on sale at good prices.
    I've got to wear toe spacers because of a bunion on one foot, so toe socks protect my toes from rubbing on the plastic. They seem to help prevent blisters on the good foot too.

As far as I know, there are only 2 companies that make toesocks, Smartwool and Injinji, I have both. I wear only one pair of mid weight toesocks. I saw a video where Andrew Skurka says he only wears one pair of mid weight socks so I figure if it works for him it will work for me. I do use 2 insoles, 1 gel and the one that comes with the boots. I just buy my boots 1/2 size larger than normal. I works for me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Your poll option of "Tried them, they're not for me" sums up my experience perfectly. I couldn't get used to the feeling that I had something stuck between all of my toes. I'm glad to see from the poll results that they have helpful for others.

I avoided them for ages because they seemed so completely ridiculous. Switched over a couple of months ago after a series of blister issues (using the same socks and shoes that had worked for me for years, go figure). Not a hint of a blister since and my running mileage has been increasing simultaneously. I'm a believer.

I have had problems on longer hikes due to my pinky toe which sits slightly under the toe next to it which creates a very sore spot due to the calluses which have formed on my pinky toes. These calluses soften and really start to hurt. I may try a pair of the toe socks which may give me the slight space needed so as not to have my pinky toes roll under the next toe.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I have had problems on longer hikes due to my pinky toe which sits slightly under the toe next to it which creates a very sore spot due to the calluses which have formed on my pinky toes. These calluses soften and really start to hurt. I may try a pair of the toe socks which may give me the slight space needed so as not to have my pinky toes roll under the next toe.
    DY, if the socks don't work, you might take a look at toe spacers to correct your pinky's position: https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes (these might be overkill for your problem, but take a look at their literature).
    Drug stores have simpler, cheaper versions of this sort of thing that might work. Also, experiment with taping those toes (tape over where the callous forms before it forms).

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    This is my problem exactly! Pinkies then get VERY sore, every step becomes painful, and even a big blister on the bottom from the 4th toe rubbing them. So far the Injini trail socks have been great, up to 6 miles in Central Ohio. Will have them on the Trail next week. Definitely worth giving them a shot.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I've been wearing toe socks for years on my runs. They took some getting used to in the beginning. Now, it just feel normal.

I've worn them a few times on backpacking trips (short ones mainly). I normally backpack w/ mid-weight wool socks that I sprinkle 'Blister Shield' powder inside (great stuff!). I typically don't get blisters (only one in my 2013 thru) hiking.

I wear them with my Vibram Fivefinger shoes. They are the only socks that work.
    Shutterbug

Switched to Injinji and Smartwool toe socks this past spring, I was skeptical at the time I switched but now I'm an every day wearer. After training and running a hand full of 5k trail runs this past spring and summer, with zero foot/toe issues, I'm sold on them. I even wear them while on duty at the engine house, my crewmates get a laugh out of them.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Haven't tried them but I'm very interested. While training for my hike, I noticed my socks would get pulled tight over my toes and start to hurt my feet, which prompted me to start not wearing socks which made walking long distances much easier; Earl Shaffer in Walking With Spring mentions how he came to this realization too, but I think that for this to work your feet need to get used to it. Problem with going sockless is that dirt in your shoe abrades your feet more and you need to empty the dust alot more. I think that toe socks could be a perfect solution to both these problems but they are kinda expensive; though, I'll be sure to check out that link.

Injinji toe sock liners along with my Smartwool regular hiking socks. The toe socks greatly reduced blisters between my toes

The "pinky toe issue" was exactly why I went to toe socks. My little toe needs that sock to keep it in correct alignment. I've put about 500 miles on my Injinji toe socks so far and they are still going strong. I also put baby oil gel on my feet before I put the socks on. At first I wore an additional pair of just sports socks, but when it got hot, I went to the toe socks alone and they have worked great.

They work alright. I'm not too sure about blister prevention since, as a general rule, I don't get blisters .

For me there are two reasons I don't think I'll try them again.
    (1) Durability. Darn tough socks are so much more durable.
    (2) The synthetics smell really badly. I'd rather stick with wool.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I've recently started to condition my feet for barefoot hiking (its a slow process) and if it goes well I'll likely use toe socks during cold periods during my hiking or when I have to put minimalist footwear on.

I'm going to get some to try to curb my toe injuries.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++