WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GORC: good old raisins and CRICKETS

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...ting-GORC.html

Not sure I'm ready for this, but crickets do weigh a lot less than peanuts...

While working with the Border Patrol in Arizona and spending up to 36hrs. in the Sonoran Desert, I did try crickets on a stick and left to cook on a flat rock. Not bad.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

...cricket legs are good as dental picks.

...unless you get em stuck in your teeth.

Images

Seems interesting and I could see myself trying crickets maybe once.

But, did the writer really write this?
    Clearly my trail mix needed a bit of a remix. Not only are nuts heavy to carry, they’re kind of naughty from a sustainability standpoint—according to a Mother Jones story, it takes 1.1 gallons of water to produce just one of my beloved almonds. So eating them by the handful—the way I tend to do on a long, hard trek—isn't really viable.
    And this?

Plus, they're lightweight. A cup of roasted crickets weighs about an ounce, while the same amount of peanuts tips the scale at more than a quarter of a pound. For those of us trying to lighten our loads—both in our packs and on the planet—these little arthropods are a pretty attractive snack.
    I would think that 100g of crickets would weigh the same as 100g. Or that 1oz of crickets takes up more volume than 1oz of peanuts...

Nutritionally 100 grams of crickets has 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 grams of fat, and 5.1 grams of carbs. While that 100 grams of peanuts has 567 calories, 25.8 grams of protein, 49.24 grams of fat and 16.13 grams of carbs (and almonds nearly mirror the same numbers as peanuts).

And why the comparison to animal protein when the cricket is a substitue for nuts?

Here is a company putting out protein bars made with cricket flour http://chapul.com/
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 08-05-2014 at 20:32.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I'll have to try this recipe.

Crickets are one of about five kinds of insects that I'm already farming for my herps.

I'm using dehydrated meal-worms that I raise for trail snacks. I took a bunch of pics to post about it a few months ago but never got around to it.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

First to puke into the campfire is winning... can I watch?

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Ha ha, WOO. You've got to wonder what Jiminy Cricket would think of this.

Images

From the link:

Remove your crickets from the freezer and rinse them thoroughly in a colander. The crickets will have produced an amazing amount of cricket poop in transit so don’t skip this step.
    Place the crickets on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and cinnamon. Bake in the oven, checking them in five-minute intervals. Keep a close eye on the crickets, as they do burn easily. However, it’s better to err on the side of overcooked than undercooked. When undercooked, their abdomens squish rather unappetizingly in your mouth (voice of experience here), so medium rare is not something to strive for. Mine took about 12-14 minutes to cook fully.

I tried mealworms last week-- really bland taste, IMO.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I'm not going to say all the time- but several times a year I eat crickets. The amigos at work eat a mix of them with the peppitos, and salted/chili pepper coated crickets. They taste fine.

I'm with Tuck though- silly article- and caloric density is pretty poor. I would imagine all the heavy roasting kills or dilutes most of the micro nutrients as well. You could carry a pillow case of crickets or a one quart bag of nuts- volume is important too.

I get the sustainability argument (especially almonds)- anyone know about sunflower seeds from this perspective? I find them becoming my primary nut.
    Crickets seem better suited to toss into a soup imo.
    (With two kids I'm not as concerned about my previous set of primary nuts any longer )

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    I tried mealworms last week-- really bland taste, IMO.
    The ones I grow and dehydrate myself taste kinda like corn nuts in flavor, or like popcorn husks. A slight buttery flavor even though I use no oil in prep.

It's probably because I feed them primarily on chicken layer mash.

The ones I use for snacks I stop feeding for a day or two (cleans out the gut) before freezing then dehydrating.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    You could carry a pillow case of crickets
    Great idea, think I'll hand them out this Halloween to the older grabby type.

While I'm normally a person that is willing to try new things, especially new foods, I think I'd draw the line on insects. I'm aware that there are many cultures out there that eat them from childhood and they're perfectly acceptable... but I suffer from being American born and raised. There are plenty of things that we eat in western cultures that if you think about it are quite disgusting.

Cheese
    Gelatin - obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones with water (usually from cows and pigs).
    Carmine - aka Natural Red dye 4 - made from the shells of an insect. A good example that we'll eat anything as long as we don't know we're eating it. Please pass the Red Velvet cake.... Thanks.
    Castoreum - is a sort of goo excreted from the anus of a beaver. Ice cream, especially vanilla, has castoreum as a flavoring. Most times this ingredient will not be listed because it can be listed under "Natural flavorings". Can just imagine it now... "So what do you do for a living?" ... "...Well... I collect Castoreum."
    L-Cysteine - Main source made from human hair and duck feathers. Used to prolong the shelf life of commercial foods, like fast food bread for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    While I'm normally a person that is willing to try new things, especially new foods, I think I'd draw the line on insects. I'm aware that there are many cultures out there that eat them from childhood and they're perfectly acceptable... but I suffer from being American born and raised. There are plenty of things that we eat in western cultures that if you think about it are quite disgusting.

Cheese
    Gelatin - obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones with water (usually from cows and pigs).
    Carmine - aka Natural Red dye 4 - made from the shells of an insect. A good example that we'll eat anything as long as we don't know we're eating it. Please pass the Red Velvet cake.... Thanks.
    Castoreum - is a sort of goo excreted from the anus of a beaver. Ice cream, especially vanilla, has castoreum as a flavoring. Most times this ingredient will not be listed because it can be listed under "Natural flavorings". Can just imagine it now... "So what do you do for a living?" ... "...Well... I collect Castoreum."
    L-Cysteine - Main source made from human hair and duck feathers. Used to prolong the shelf life of commercial foods, like fast food bread for example.
    You're from Asheville, North Carolina, there's only hippies in Asheville and hippies love insects...so what gives

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    I realize its more fun to make things disgusting than it really is... "mmmm my ice cream has a$$ goo..." But to be accurate, Castoreum does not come from the anus of the beaver, but is extrated from the castor sacs, which are found under the skin in the groin area of the beaver. Trappers taking beaver harvest the caster sacs and dry them for sale.

It is also important to understand ingredients listed on food packaging are based on weight and castor falls under "other natural flavors" simply because such a miniscule amout is used in food amounting to a total of 300 pounds of castor used by the US food industry each year.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Good ol' raisins and crickets. This really should go int he humour forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I realize its more fun to make things disgusting than it really is... "mmmm my ice cream has a$$ goo..." But to be accurate, Castoreum does not come from the anus of the beaver, but is extrated from the castor sacs, which are found under the skin in the groin area of the beaver. Trappers taking beaver harvest the caster sacs and dry them for sale.

It is also important to understand ingredients listed on food packaging are based on weight and castor falls under "other natural flavors" simply because such a miniscule amout is used in food amounting to a total of 300 pounds of castor used by the US food industry each year.
    To me that is pretty disgusting. But I accept that it is my opinion and it may not be true for everyone. Whether its miniscule or not is irrelevant to me, sorry, because its still added. The point is that people will eat anything, even things we think are gross, largely because we don't know we're eating it.
    GORC for example: If I were ground up finely to a point where I didn't have to pick a leg from between my teeth, I'd probably eat it and may even like it. But once told what I'd eaten would likely shudder and feel lied to.

I think the worst thought of eating insects for most people is the thought that you have to eat the entire insect, because it's just too small to separate the meat. However, most of us already eat guts of other animals, like oysters/clams or soft shelled crabs.

So just make a sandwich out of them, like a soft shelled crab sandwich https://www.google.com/search?q=soft...2F%3B720%3B566

Everything tastes good when you make a sandwich out of it and put some cheese on it...

Besides, once the apocalypse gets here, and it will, we will all be eating bugs, might as well get use to it now.

...that thing looks like a tic sandwich, not to skeeve anyone out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++