WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easy section near Cades Cove

I am going camping in Townsend, TN which is just down the road from Cades Cove and boarders the Great Smokey National Park. Could anyone suggest a section of the AT that is moderate to easy that is in this location? I am not familiar with the TN side of the AT, so I am having a hard time figuring out what section would be best. Thanks!

Images

moderate to easy in that area?

not likely......

in order to get to the AT from cades cove----you must climb up the mountains to get to it.......

the closest point of the AT to cades cove would be going up bote mountain trail to it....

but, thats a decent climb........

however, if its not the AT and you're just looking for an easy to moderate trail to hike----there are a few others......

Not the AT but rich mountain loop is a nice, secluded trail in Cades cove and you don't have to park inside the miserable 11 mile loop to get to the trailhead. You get the views and the woods without the crowds. Two weeks ago I hiked it and saw a black snake and a 10 point buck about 5 feet from me. Once again, it's not the AT but just an idea

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For the most part, both the AT and the state line follow the crest of the mountains thru GSMNP. So there really isn't a TN side of the AT in the park.

Because the trail follows the crest, there's only two ways to get to it:
    1. Hike up the side of the mountain. From the Cades Cove area, that's an elevation change of about 2,500'. As TNHiker has pointed out, from the Cades Cove area, this is your only option to get to the AT.
    2. Drive up the side of the mountain. The only place you can do that is following Hwy 441 thru the center of the park to New Found Gap. Without traffic, that's about an hour drive down 321 to Pigieon Forge, thru Galtlinburg, and up the mountain. With traffic, it can be a bit longer.

Since you say you are camping in Townsend, I assume you are looking for a day hike. How long of a hike are you looking for? A simple hike in the Cades Cove area is to hike the 2 miles down Abram's Falls trail to Abram's Falls. A beautiful waterfall. But to get to the trail head, you've got to follow the Cades Cove Loop road. That's going to require 1 to 2 hours of driving JUST around the cove, plus the time to drive to the Cove and the time to hike the 4 miles round trip. But if you have never seen Cades Cove or hiked to Abram's Falls, it is time well spent.

centerfieldr's suggestion allows you to park outside the one-way Cades Cove Loop (and therefore avoid 1-2 hours of simply circling the cove). It's about a 9 mile loop with a 1,500 elevation change.

If climbing the side of a mountain doesn't bother you and you want a spot with great views, park at the trail head to Lead Cove Trail, about 2/3 the way between the Townsend Y just inside the park, and Cades Cove. Follow Lead Cove Tr to Bote Mtn Tr to the AT. Turn left to reach Rocky Top... There's a few bald mountain top spots up there where you can get some views. It's 12 miles round trip in one day with a 2,500' elevation change. But that's the shortest path to Rocky Top. If you would like to do an over-night hike, about a mile from Rocky Top is a Spence Field Shelter. Back Country Permit is required for all over-night stays in the back country.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 08-06-2014 at 00:40.

++ New Posts ++