WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Yes, Batona camp near Carranza. think that pic was the 4th Annual Pine Barrens Hang last weekend of January. This year is the 8th.

Attachment 28034Attachment 28035

these are on a Batona hike. Same camp.

as much privacy as tent.

wow I have been there several times in the last year!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    wow I have been there several times in the last year!
    How'd ya like the burned out Forrest fire area, pretty impressive...take any pics.

Images

Attend a group hang where you and the wife can check out lots of different setups. Chances are excellent that there will some lady hangers there and she can talk to them.

If someone wants to watch me while I am changing is responsible for any mental damage they may suffer as a result.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I usually change under the top quilt in the hammock. If you throw the top quilt over the ridge line you get a bit more room than just in the hammock under the quilt. I know people have to be thinking I'm wrestling a bear or something in the hammock sometimes, between changing and getting my liner under me, there's quite a bit of thrashing around I do at night and in the morning. of course the rule at night is, as soon as you're comfortable and warm, you have to get up and pee.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    .....of course the rule at night is, as soon as you're comfortable and warm, you have to get up and pee.
    It's been one of those days.

Images

when you do get into hammocking you won't be worrying about who sees your butt, but keeping your butt warm
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

when you do get into hammocking you won't be worrying about who sees your butt, but keeping your butt warm
    Well she's concerned about privacy. I'm more concerned about mosquitoes. We have them pretty bad this time of year here in GA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    How'd ya like the burned out Forrest fire area, pretty impressive...take any pics.

Nah I take lots of picks - except dead wood!

Ever did the April Fools Hike?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-09-2014 at 23:16.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Drop the tarp sides down and change. If you are with friends, let them know that you are changing. If your tarp has "doors", drop the slides down and close the doors. It is actually faster and easier to clean up and change under a tarp (well, cuben tarps are another story) and you don't have to be a contortionist like you would in a tent. I carry a cuben rain poncho from z-packs. It is actually very easy to clean up and change underneath the poncho also. If in a local area, I just head off into the woods and change.
    I am a female and really don't see any difference whether you are a man or a woman, everyone's gotta clean up and change sometime. "Most" people will be sensitive to the other people they are with and give them privacy when needed.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Alright, I'm going to get a 12x12 tarp for the top. I'm sure all will be well.

How do you keep your butt warm? I laid in a hammock the other day in the middle of the day and I could already feel my backside get cold.

I'm going to guess there is a certain time of year where y'all just stop using the hammock?

Images

been down to -10 in mine. Quilts, you will need quilts.
    IMGP0959.jpg

That's a 11-9 tarp, diy hammock, TEWA 0 degree 3/4 quilt, with 0 degree JRB wearable top quilt. only got t 3 the night before.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

been down to -10 in mine. Quilts, you will need quilts.....

That's a 11-9 tarp, diy hammock, TEWA 0 degree 3/4 quilt, with 0 degree JRB wearable top quilt. only got t 3 the night before.
    That's a nice looking setup....

Err, the picture begs two more questions:

1) What do you do about stepping down? Sandels in the hammock with you? How do make sure dirt/snow covered sandels don't mess up your sleeping area?

2) Have you ever hiked with a dog? Where does it sleep?
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Quote Originally Posted by simeo View Post
    Alright, I'm going to get a 12x12 tarp for the top. I'm sure all will be well.

How do you keep your butt warm? I laid in a hammock the other day in the middle of the day and I could already feel my backside get cold.

I'm going to guess there is a certain time of year where y'all just stop using the hammock?
    You can use a closed-cell sleeping pad for bottom insulation. The ideal, though, is an underquilt, which is basically a partial sleeping bag hung underneath the hammock.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++