Default Seeking female thru-hiking partner(s) nobo a.t. - 2015

Hello,my name is Chrysalis (for now) and I am looking for fellow female hikers for aNOBO thru-hike around the beginning or middle of March in 2015 (These dates areflexible). Last year I was suppose to thru-hike with a partner but he backed outon me at the last second. Being the stubborn woman I am, I decided to go aheadand go solo since I had already spent lots of time and money preparing. I didgo, but I didn’t get far for multiple reasons. Firstly, as much as I read upand watched countless videos, I didn’t physically prepare as much as I shouldhave. I thought that perhaps I could just get my trail legs as I went. That wasa huge mistake. My knees paid the price for it. Secondly, as I wascontemplating getting off the trail for fear of knee injury, I was talking tomy parents on the phone when they voiced concern for me being out on my own; anopinion I would’ve liked to have heard before I got onto the trail. It wasn’tthe main reason I stopped but I felt guilty worrying them and everyone else. Ican’t tell you the countless messages I got from worried friends and relatives warning me of the trail dangers Iwas already fully aware of before I started my hike. But above all of that, Icouldn’t help but think as I was hiking about how much I wanted to share theexperience with someone.
    Icertainly know of plenty of women who have had successful solo hikes but I know,for me personally, I am much more likely to complete a thru-hike if I havesomeone there to share in the adventure and to push me when I need it and I amprepared to do the same in return. I have heard others say don’t worry aboutfinding a partner to hike with before you get to the trail because you’ll findsomeone you’re compatible with when you get there. This was just simply not thecase for me. I never felt like intruding on others’ hikes and the opportunityjust never presented itself. I don’t have to have someone to be attached at thehip with, I just want to know they will be there to camp with at night andhitch rides into town with as well. I know it will ease my parents’ minds too.
    Thisis absolutely a dream of mine and I can’t wait to see it through. (no punintended!) I am 28 and looking for someone (or someones) near my age that isinterested in beginning a spring hike next year and, as previously stated, I amalso flexible on my start date. I am committed to getting into hiking shape andfeel mentally prepared for this hike. Please message me if you are seriouslylooking to thru-hike too!

Apologies for a lot of the words running together. I promise I proofread a thousand times. Apparently the thread had its own ideas.

Hey Chrysalis! I'm also looking for a hiking partner to do a thru hike in 2015. Like your parents, my friends and family are worried about me traveling alone and would feel better if I found someone to hike with. Feel free to PM me on here. I look forward to hearing from you!!

Hey, just wanted to say there are other ladies starting off in Mid-March! Like moi. Maybe we'll see each other then. I am less concerned about hiking solo (though that tune may change) and a little more concerned about homesickness... Still, others seem convinced I'm going to be murdered. Hmm.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Chrysalis, I'll be starting March 9th, right after the AT Kick Off. While I enjoying hiking solo because I can set my own pace and stop when I want to without feeling like I am altering anyone else's hike, I like the idea of knowing that I will be ending the day with people around me to talk with, share stories, commiserate with and just generally enjoy the company of others. I know you don't know exactly when you are starting out but if you are up to starting out then I would be happy to meet up with you and if nothing else plan meeting at shelters/camping spots in the evenings.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I'm also 28 and will be starting mid to late March. Most people I know are uncomfortable with me going solo too. I'm ok with it and figure I'll meet awesome folks along the way. If we meet on the trail feel free to "intrude" on my hike and say hi I'm not looking to commit to hiking with someone continuously, but would love to talk and maybe try to meet up or start out together (who knows? Maybe it'll stick). See ya out there!!
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Hey! I'm looking to thru hike this year, too! I am looking to start a little earlier, though, late Feb.

Hey everyone thanks so much for the replies! Grover Girl and I are going to be hitting the trail together! Can't wait to see everyone out there!

I'm not able to leave until late May/early June, so I won't be able to meet up with y'all.

++ New Posts ++