WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mariposa vs. Circuit

Hi all,

I have been downsizing my gear list (both in amount of gear taken as well as weight) over the last few years and have finally decided go to after the backpack element. I've looked though all the major options and have narrowed things down to the Gossamer Gear Mariposa and the ULA Circuit. My base weight comes in at about 15 pounds with a max weight of 34 pounds (7 days of food and 3L of water, more than I will ever carry, but the weight is there if needed).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these packs and what your thoughts are on them. The Mariposa is lighter and more versatile, but I hear so man good things about the Circuit. Let me know what you think in regards to reliability, comfort, pack ability, and usability. Thanks!

I have several ULA packs and a Gossamer Gear daypack. The ULA seem to be much sturdier. The Circuit is a very nice pack, very popular on the trail. I used the Ohm 2.0 which is a little smaller and the Catalyst which is a little bigger. Does the Mariposa have a removeable hip belt?

Yes it does. You can get it sized to fit. Since you have used multiple sizes of the ULA packs, may I ask which size has worked best for you, at least through the lens of an AT Thru Hike? I ask because at the moment I have a massive 90L that I got 15 years ago. 70L (like the Circuit or Mariposa) is what I'm aiming for just because I know a lot of people use that size for thru hikes. However, do you have any experience using anything smaller on similar length trips? I know I would be easier for me to just take my stuff to an outfitter and see what size pack I can fit my stuff into, but I am just curious what you think. My current gear list is below:

Item Description Weight (oz) Weight (lbs)
    Pack
    Pack Gossamer Gear Mariposa w/o SitLight Pad 27.0 1.58
    Total 27.0 1.58
    Shelter
    Tent Tarptent Notch 27.0 1.69
    Footprint None
    Total 27.0 1.69
    Sleep System
    Sleeping Bag ZPacks™ 900 Fill Power Down Solo 30 Degree 15.1 0.94
    Bag Liner None
    Ground Pad Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Short 10.0 0.63
    Total 25.1 1.57
    Cooking and Water
    Stove MSR Pocket Rocket 3.9 0.24
    Fuel MSR IsoPro 4 oz 4.2 0.26
    Pot GSI Minimalist 7.6 0.48
    Utensils Snow Peak Titanium Spork 0.4 0.03
    Water Teatment Sawyer Squeeze w/ 2 Bags 4.3 0.27
    Bladder CamelBak Antidote L 6.5 0.41
    Water Bottle Smart Water Bottle 700mL 1.3 0.08
    Total 28.2 1.76
    Packed Clothing
    Rain Jacket GoLite Tumalo Rain Jacket 10.0 0.63
    Rain Pants GoLite Tumalo Rain Pant 7.0 0.44
    Insulation Jacket GoLite Selkirk Ultralite 6.0 0.38
    Head Net
    Shirt Columbia OmniFreeze Zero Short Sleeve 4.8 0.30
    Basketball Shorts Adidias 8.5 0.53
    Socks (2) SmartWool Hiking + Darn Tough Hike/Trek 3.5 0.44
    Underwear Under Armour BoxerJock 2.6 0.16
    Base Layer Top GoLite BL2 Crewneck Longsleeve Baselayer 5.0 0.31
    Base Layer Bottom GoLite BL2 Full Length Bottom 5.0 0.31
    Sun Hat SRAM Trucker Hat 2.4 0.15
    Winter Hat IU Toboggan Hat 3.0 0.19
    Gloves Guess 1.0 0.06
    Glove Rain Shell Mountain Laurel Designs eVENT Rain Mitts 1.1 0.07
    Camp Shoes Unshoes Pah Tempe 3.0 0.19
    Total 62.9 4.15
    Miscellaneous
    First Aid Kit Assorted 3.8 0.24
    Toothbrush and Paste Crest 1.8 0.11
    Toilette Paper Full Roll 4.2 0.26
    Hand Sanitizer Purell Travel Size 2.4 0.15
    Sun Screan None
    Insect Repellent Off! Deep Woods Sportsman 1 Fl. Oz. 1.5 0.09
    Nail Clipper Toe Nail Clipper 1.4 0.09
    Lip Balm SPF 50 0.4 0.03
    Compass Silva 0.8 0.05
    Rope Nylon Rope 3.5 0.22
    Headlamp Black Diamond Storm 3.8 0.24
    Batteries 4 AAA's 1.6 0.10
    Knife/Multitool Gerber Air Ranger G-10 3.2 0.20
    Firestarter Guess 1.6 0.10
    Earplugs (2) Foam 0.1 0.01
    Cell Phone/Charger LG Flip Phone 5.9 0.37
    Wallet IU Wallet w/ ID, Insurance, Debit, Cash 1.6 0.10
    Map/Guidbook Guess 8.9 0.56
    Pen Regular Ball Point Pen 0.2 0.01
    Glasses Oakley Radars 1.0 0.06
    Towel 12 Square Inch Sham-Wow 1.1 0.07
    Additional Stuff Sacks None 0.0
    Total 48.8 3.05
    Luxury
    iPod iPod Nano 2.1 0.13
    Bible Guess 5.2 0.33
    Journal Guess 8.9 0.56
    Large Charging Battery Guess 3.5 0.22
    Total 19.7 1.23
    Total Base Weight 238.7 15.03

I have both the OHM and the Circuit. Unless you are in need of carrying a bear canister the OHM seems like it will do you fine. Here are a couple of different pack load out videos going into my OHM. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/L-w4pjjXUnE

http://youtu.be/HTTon3JunJY
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

If you have the discipline to take only what you need the Ohm 2.0 will work well. You will smile every time you see someone struggling along with a huge pack. The downside is that everyone will think you are a dayhiker. My base weight was around 10 lbs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    If you have the discipline to take only what you need the Ohm 2.0 will work well. You will smile every time you see someone struggling along with a huge pack. The downside is that everyone will think you are a dayhiker. My base weight was around 10 lbs.
    I agree the OHM 2.0 is plenty big for long hikes, mine is never completely full, but I'm at 10-11 lbs base weight as well. If you're really around 15lb base, I'd opt for the beefier Circuit, which cost you an additional 10-11 ounces of pack weight. Basically the OHM is fine up to about 25 pounds total, the Circuit about 30 (with food/water/fuel). I owned both briefly and this was my experience.

Since I've had such fine hiking comfort/success with my Ohm 2, I just bought one for my wife, and after a long weekend outing in CO, she absolutely loves it. It even comes in a girly-purple color (mine is a manly green...). Another ULA convert!

What, from your experience, do you suggest I cut (or change) from my gear list to achieve a base weight closer to that 10 pound range?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Type38 View Post
    What, from your experience, do you suggest I cut (or change) from my gear list to achieve a base weight closer to that 10 pound range?
    Well, you've got a good kit, but since you asked, here are a few thoughts, really just nit=picks, but that's what UL is about, shaving ounces in a lot of places:

You're carrying a cell phone (who doesn't?); rather than carry a separate bible, why not get a Kindle app and read your bible on that? Basically if you own an Android with a replaceable battery, just carry an extra battery or two rather than the 3.5 oz charging battery thing.

An 8.9 oz journal seems heavy; mine weighs 2.5 oz, can you downsize a bit there?

You're carrying an awful lot of extra weight for water storage; I carry two Gatorade bottles (1.6 oz each) and the 2L Sawyer squeeze bottle, sometimes one extra. If you get a ULA pack, the large and low side pockets make for very easy water bottle access, first and only pack I've owned where I can get a bottle easily, and put it back, with pack on. So maybe lose the bladder?

A 3.2 oz knife.... for what??? A 1-oz swiss army knife would be plenty.

Pot seems a little heavy, lots of 4-oz ones out there.

Rope seems heavy; should be able to get under 2 ounces there.

My pocket rocket weighs 2.9 oz; lose that silly red case which adds an ounce.

My purell weighs an ounce, I guess a smaller travel size. Plenty for weeks on trail.

Lithium AAA's weigh half that; Kroger's has them on sale often for about a buck each, yeah, expensive, but saves a bunch of grams and they last longer to boot.

8.9 ounces for the map/guide book? Are you talking AWOL, seemingly the best? Tear it in portions and carry only a couple/few ounces at a time. Don't see a need for a map on the AT, if you really want one, load something into your phone.

A set of Dri-ducks weighs 11 ounces (in large size), saves 6 ounces over your current rain wear, but not as durable; but durable enough, Dri Ducks are all I carry on long hikes.

Anyway, you asked, but really you have a decent kit, but could lose a couple/few pounds just by ounce counting.

Images

One other thing I just thought of: I don't count the clothes I plan on wearing all the time on the trail in my "base weight"; I do count all the other clothing, of course. So in your case you B-ball shorts, base layer top, sun hat and extra socks would not be included in what I call "base weight". that's "skin-out" weight, at least by my definitions (in what I call my own 10-11 pounds base).

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

When I hiked the PCT in '09, I used a Circuit. My baseweight was between 12-13 lbs. It carried the weight comfortably, including a 9 day food carry with a bear can in the Sierra Nevada and 6L of water in the desert. I did think it was a bit big for my gear though for the rest of the trip. Looking back, an Ohm would have likely been a perfect fit for me. For a 15 lbs. baseweight, the Circuit should be just fine.

New Mariposa just came out; new fabrics. Still a great pack.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    New Mariposa just came out; new fabrics. Still a great pack.
    I've heard of a lot of durability issues with the Mariposa. Do you think the new fabrics will help with some of this?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

++ New Posts ++