Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I haven't tried coconut oil, but I hear a lot of good things. I just spent about 3 days on the trail and just used water to wash my face and I feel like it's a little better than when I left home.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

I'm going to second the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Peppermint is really really good for problem skin. You only need a tiny drop of it for your face. I know everyone is saying that you likely won't end up needing anything aside from water, but in my personal experience my skin reacts very poorly to dirt and sweat on my face (we are all different!). Maybe give it the first week without washing, and if you don't need the soap, don't use it. But otherwise, it's a good backup if you do start to break out.

My skin cleared up a great deal while I was on the trail. I too have problematic skin and took an spf/moisturizer when I first started. I found that I wasn't in the sun long enough to need the spf, and the moisturizer was actually attracting gnats because of its sweet smell. I eventually got so fed up with the gnats that I mailed it home among other things, and started washing my face with Dr. Bronners. I prefer the lavender or peppermint scents, as they both left me feeling refreshed and did not attract bugs. I also used Dr. Bronner's soap to wash my hair, body, cooking pot, and spork. I loved it and will never take another soap on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_the_cat View Post
    I was wondering about this, too. My skin dries out a lot in winter and I want a good protectant. I usually use Olay daily moisturizer. Would just straight up coconut oil work?
    Coconut oil is fabulous for this, although Shea Butter is better. You can also shave without water using coconut oil and don't have to apply a moisturizer afterwards. Then turn around and cook with it too ingesting good long burning fats with MCT's, or just add it to your oatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by She View Post
    Coconut oil is fabulous for this, although Shea Butter is better. You can also shave without water using coconut oil and don't have to apply a moisturizer afterwards. Then turn around and cook with it too ingesting good long burning fats with MCT's, or just add it to your oatmeal
    Hahaha, that is kind of what I was thinking: something I can eat AND rub on my body. Make sure those bears get all their healthy fats, too.

I also love Dr. Bronners but an important LNT note is that no soap, even biodegradable, should be used at a water source like a lake, stream, spring, etc. And suds should be poured in a hole in the soil at least 200 feet from any water source. Please do NOT rinse your suds down the sream!! Any kind of soap can harm wild animals and/or change the pH of the water. (you wouldn't want to drink your soap suds - the animals don't either! Please use LNT!!)

http://sectionhiker.com/biodegradabl...campsuds-myth/

PS another option is to use a wet wipe at the end of the day to clean your face, underarms, and feet. (In that order!!) It also makes less of a mess than water and soap.

I do not have problematic skin issues, but I am a big fan of wet wipes. My evening trail routine is to use a wet wipe on my face, then flip it over and use the other side on my armpits. I also would usually try to rinse my face with water about once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Coconut oil- you can eat it and use it for skin care.
    +1

Male here. I switched over to coconut oil about a year ago for my moisturizing needs and have been amazed. I use it to shave, as a conditioner after I shampoo (small amount rubbed through hair after I get out of the shower), as well as a lotion. The only issue is it needs to be around 73 degrees or it becomes a solid. That's easy enough to work around.
    --

Hike Safe.

Journal Entries
    Images

Reviving this thread to hear what you ladies' routines/products on the trail are like lately. Specifically, if you're bringing along sunscreen and/or moisturizer/oil for your face, what works and packs well for you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++