WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    Matt65, have had several stove failures over the years, and almost all could have been avoided if I had just been a little smarter. My go-to stove for many years was a MSR whisperlite type of white gas pump up stove. I then suffered pump failures on the trail the original wisperlite and went to the MSR international, then to a Primus, then to a SOTO. They were all white gas pump up stoves. I would typically carry two and a few spare parts just in case I could repair it while out there. Sometimes I could and sometimes I could not. During that 15 years I had two serious leaks of the system which spewed gas into the flame. Both times I picked the stove up and threw it like a hand grenade to get rid of it. Both incidents were rubber o ring failures. They get old and crack, and unless changed out in a routine maintenance program, will fail over the years. This is an important point that is missed by pea brained people like me. I just kept using them expecting the wear parts to last forever and acted very surprised when my stoves acted up from lack of maintenance. Anyway, those failures led me to alcohol stoves that do not have any moving parts to fail....or so I thought. I proved myself wrong there too. Seemed a little obsessive but I purchased nearly every alcohol stove known to man and tried them all from just boiling water to cooking for six. Here is what I discovered, that is only a truth for me, but it may help you. Once you understand the dangers of an alcohol stove, i.e. the flame is invisible during the day time, the fumes are highly flammable, and the flame is not as sturdy during windy conditions meaning that some type of windscreen is needed. The windscreen is the double edged sword here. With my Trangia I suffered fuel boil over twice on one trip. The stove was half full of fuel and I had a large pan on top with the stove in a wind proof base. After about 8 to 10 minutes the fuel started boiling and spewed out the top of the Trangia creating a large spitting fire. Both times I was able to put the fire out without burning the woods down. Those incidents led me to go to the internet and see if anyone else had the same problems with a stove that had been around for more than 20 years and had a very loyal following due to lack of problems. My investigation led me to reading about serious explosions (rare, but they do occur) of every type of stove. To me, (again, this is just me) canister stoves had the worst reports and witnesses described them to be like claymore mines going off. I put the windscreen boil over of my alcohol stove hat on of trapping heat under the stove and thought what a tight windscreen would do to a canister stove. It made me shudder to think about it. I also put my cracked o ring brain to think about stoves under pressure and your life actually depends on that o ring to hold. For example, if you purchased a canister in a shop, you do not know how long that canister sat in storage before it was sold or if it was in a hot, dry warehouse that would lead the o ring to deteriorate. And if my life (just me) depends on that o ring not to fail, then I am no longer willing to take that chance. All this led me to another conclusion, a person is probably safer with a stove and stand that is designed with cooling holes so you can not trap heat at the base even if you are cooking for a long period of time using a large pan. Since I have such varying needs and can not use a jet boil which is a one person type of stove, I have switched to a Evernew Titanium stove with it's base and windscreen. Again, it is designed as a system to work with cooling holes at it's base and it throws a great flame to boil water with a heat exchanger pot and will simmer if you arrange the burner in the top of the windscreen to simmer and cut off half the jets. But again, what works for me, may not work for someone else. What I do advise is for anyone to look at their system with a critical eye toward heat entrapment. When you realize that all manufacturers of canister stoves advise users not to utilize a windscreen, then the heat entrapment issue comes to the forefront. It is a dangerous situation that took me years to understand. I hope that I have helped you sir.
    DH you bring up a lot of good points that I had never given much thought. Sounds like it's time to perform the Simmerlite's over due maintenance.

It really depends on what you are trying to acomplish. For alcohol I use a Zelph. For canister Snowpeak Litemax. For Esbit I use a small TI wing stove and TI wind screen. My go to stove is my Esbit for most of my trips. Lots of advantages. 1. Dont have to worry about spilling your fuel 2. I need a 15 gram cube to cook a dinner and boil water for a hot drink. 1 cube a day is all I need so 0.5oz a day of fuel. 3. Lightest of all fuel sources. 4. Nothing to break.

Journal Entries

I went with the new MSR Whisperlite Universal. It can use both isobutane or white gas, kerosene and unleaded gasoline. Some people complain about the plastic pump, but it only requires routine maintenance and lubricating the o-ring that attaches to the pump or canisters. The service kit can be sent along in your bounce box. YMMV.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Also since it has a remote bottle/canister yup can use a wind screen. It even comes with a inversion stand for canisters so you can use them in cooler weather and when you want to drain canisters completely.
    Blackheart

LiteMax for canister, Four Dog Stoves Bushcooker LT Mini for alcohol here, and I used an old Primus canister for over a decade until the last couple years.
    Haven't used alcohol in cold temps, but both the canisters have been fine down to ~0F a couple of times.
    I put my fuel under my down jacket until I need it, while setting up camp, etc...
    Use your pack, tent, a tree, rock, or whatever as a windbreak if it's windy.

If the cost of canisters is an issue you can save a lot by refilling with the cassette style butane canisters. I use these from Sam's - 4 pack 8oz. for $5.28.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/butane-fuel...s/prod11640191

Adapter:
    http://store.taiwancamping.net/home/...refill-adapter

This is a very long thread and lot and lots of information has been shared. I wouldn't normally chime in on a thread like this, but there is a glaring problem here that only one poster touched on - "what are you going to do with it?".

More precisely, you need to think of your stove as one piece of your food prep system - and there are other pieces. So lets imagine you said, "I'm going to fry all my food on my little frying pan". That would eliminate all the blow torch cannister stoves, all Alchy burners except for the trangia, and all white gas stoves that will not simmer. But if you said, "I just want to freezer bag cook for 3 season hiking", then everything except a Sterno stove would work.

So it matters a lot what you are going to do with it. I suggest you give a lot of thought on the sort "cooking" you want to do on the trail and then that will help optimize your stove choice.

I love my Pocket Rocket. Cheap, simple, practically foolproof, no need for a windscreen, adjustable flame, and if you are keeping your meals simple you can stretch an 8 oz cannister for weeks on end. I think one cannister took me over 500 miles on my thru this year. You learn how to be efficient.

The Jetboil Sol is solid and I saw a lot of thru hikers who were happy with it, but to me it seems bulkier and heavier and more expensive than necessary, unless you plan on cooking in highly exposed areas on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    ...More precisely, you need to think of your stove as one piece of your food prep system - and there are other pieces. So lets imagine you said, "I'm going to fry all my food on my little frying pan". That would eliminate all the blow torch cannister stoves, all Alchy burners except for the trangia, and all white gas stoves that will not simmer....
    It's true that your style of cooking influences your stove choice. But it's a bit of a stretch to say that there is only one alcohol stove that can cook things in a frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It's true that your style of cooking influences your stove choice. But it's a bit of a stretch to say that there is only one alcohol stove that can cook things in a frying pan.
    You are correct - I recant. I should've said "an alcohol burner with adjustable output", as I know that the Trangia is not the only one anymore.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I didn't read the entire thread but I can tell ya.. there's no such thing as the "best" anything. Granted, some gear items cost so much that maybe a person can't have an arsenal of the same thing (like sleeping bags) and have to compromise but stoves.... Well, you can have 3 or 4 different fuel types for pretty cheap.

I can't imagine being locked into "just" alcohol stoves or "just" a canister stove unless that's really, really what you just like the most and don't want to try anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I didn't read the entire thread but I can tell ya.. there's no such thing as the "best" anything. Granted, some gear items cost so much that maybe a person can't have an arsenal of the same thing (like sleeping bags) and have to compromise but stoves.... Well, you can have 3 or 4 different fuel types for pretty cheap.

I can't imagine being locked into "just" alcohol stoves or "just" a canister stove unless that's really, really what you just like the most and don't want to try anything else.
    Definitely. I've always used alcohol stoves. I like making, testing, and using them. Maybe it's the scientist in me. But I am now shopping for a canister stove to use for my next hike, because I would like to explore the advantages and disadvantages of each kind. And let's face it - we all like to go gear shopping!

Images

my favorite is still the supercat. its as light and as simple as it gets. no moving parts nothing to wear out. boils two cups water in six minutes or less with one ounce of fuel.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone had any experience with the "Ring of Fire" alcohol stoves made by a guy named Robbie (Smokeeater908). http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...ater908-store/

I use a Caldera Cone and like it alot, just would like to get a stove that's possibly more fuel efficient and has some ability to control the cooking temp (simmer vs. boil). Just wondering what some real world experiences with these stoves might be.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone had any experience with the "Ring of Fire" alcohol stoves made by a guy named Robbie (Smokeeater908). http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cott...ater908-store/

I use a Caldera Cone and like it alot, just would like to get a stove that's possibly more fuel efficient and has some ability to control the cooking temp (simmer vs. boil). Just wondering what some real world experiences with these stoves might be.
    You'd be hard pressed to find anything more efficient than the Caldera Cone. I only need a half-ounce cube of Esbit to boil 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find anything more efficient than the Caldera Cone. I only need a half-ounce cube of Esbit to boil 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
    My alcohol stove system boils 2 cups of water in less than 4 minutes with about 12 g of fuel. But I don't have a simmer option. The most efficient gas stoves probably use about 5 grams of fuel. But the stove is heavier. Each system has it's own advantages.

I guess I was looking for a more efficient (fuel saving) alcohol stove to use within my Caldera Cone, not instead of. Maybe I'm splitting grams here.

I guess I was looking for a more efficient (fuel saving) alcohol stove to use within my Caldera Cone, not instead of. Maybe I'm splitting grams here.
    Having an alcohol stove to use in your Caldera Cone certainly makes sense if you are on an extended trip where alcohol fuel is easy to find and Esbit isn't. I've used a Starlyte stove from Zelph (but not with a Caldera Cone). They are quite nice and have lots of advantages, such as the center-burner, no priming, no-spill wick, and cap to seal in excess fuel. The Starlyte taught me the advantages of a center-burning stove for maximizing efficiency. There are Starlyte stoves that have been specifically adapted to use with a Caldera Cone. You might want to start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Having an alcohol stove to use in your Caldera Cone certainly makes sense if you are on an extended trip where alcohol fuel is easy to find and Esbit isn't. I've used a Starlyte stove from Zelph (but not with a Caldera Cone). They are quite nice and have lots of advantages, such as the center-burner, no priming, no-spill wick, and cap to seal in excess fuel. The Starlyte taught me the advantages of a center-burning stove for maximizing efficiency. There are Starlyte stoves that have been specifically adapted to use with a Caldera Cone. You might want to start there.
    Thanks Odd Man Out - I'll check into it!

Thanks Odd Man Out - I'll check into it!
    http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyt...r-with-lid.php

Never was quite sure why a modification of the regular Starlyte was needed to work in a Caldera Cone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++