WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I can go without camp shoes for a weekend, but on a longer hike I prefer to have them. Even with wearing light trail runners to hike, having something to change into at the end of the day is just a nice thing. Flip flops in the summer, Waldies in the winter (rubber clogs like Crocs but softer and a little lighter.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

camp shoes reduce blisters.

Always like to air out my dogs. Keep'm cool and dry I'm convinced helps prevent blidters.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

I've found no need anymore to carry any extra camp shoes, my hiking shoes are very comfortable, even more so when I loosen the laces in the evening and take out the foot beds and wear them loose around camp (just like you do, OP). Again, just like you OP, I used to carry them, a 10 oz pair of crock clones, then found myself just plain not needing them.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've found no need anymore to carry any extra camp shoes, my hiking shoes are very comfortable, even more so when I loosen the laces in the evening and take out the foot beds and wear them loose around camp (just like you do, OP). Again, just like you OP, I used to carry them, a 10 oz pair of crock clones, then found myself just plain not needing them.
    +1. My sentiments exactly.

I'm with the folks that like to let my feet out of my shoes for breather breathing. My two issues are my feet are always too warm, regardless of my shoe wear (unless of course I hike in sandals...), so especially at camp it's nice to have the cold air on them. As well, if my shoes and socks are wet it gives both an opportunity to dry out, especially if I can find a place in the sun for both of them.

I have a couple pair of $6 Walmart slider sandals that weight 266g (~9.38oz) for the pair. I like slider sandals because if I want to wear socks with them then I don't have to deal with the toe "thong". I also find they are a bit sturdier and hold me feet better, which is nice since I do a lot of hiking in the White Mtns where the ground is not the smoothest.

Crocs are pretty popular and have worked out well for me.

Journal Entries

Camp shoes = extra weight & space

Loosen up the laces and carry less.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++