WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Insulated Jacket

As it stands I have my thru base weight just over 8#.

Thats a SUL hammock setup with a summerlite bag, down UQ, bug net and an inflatable pad for shelters.

What I am stuck on is a jacket. Common sense say go with Synthetic, but saving weight with down would be nice.

Right now I have a 7.5 oz Stoic pull over down cardigan I just cant warm up to, a JCP puffer down jacket 11 oz, and a MYOG M90 climashield jacket that I made a while back at 15.5oz, with a combo of 2.5xp (sleeves), 3.6 XP and 5XP and super warm. That last CS jacket is now my goto warm jacket and way way warmers than either a thermawrap or patagonia micropuff but its not a trim cut IE its a bulky cut.

Will be carrying a down hood.
    Also plan to make an IX insulation vest for an extra layer.

Right now I am stuck between buying a down Montbell Ex light at 7.5 oz, which I am thinking will not be warm enough or just biting the bullet and building another jacket only this time 2.1 Climashield Apex and a M50 shell which should come in at about 10-11 oz.

Images

I made the Kinsman jacket from thru-hiker and I believe it weighs 12.3 oz (large). I added a handwarmer pocket. I really like it. I have not worn it down below 25* but I was toasty at 25* with just a thin base layer on.
    Last edited by jimmyjam; 08-16-2014 at 12:08. Reason: correct weight with pocket

I already have a pattern and M50 and 2.5 oz climashield so I may just go for it.

The last one I made was an incredible PIA to build.

I used a 100 wt 3/4 zip pull over fleece I got from Lands End. It was O.K. but too short. I found something similar I really like, USMC issue fleece, longer, very well made, find them on ebay. I also had 100 wt fleece pants hat and mittens. This was all the cold weather gear I had except for waterproof/windproof layer, Precip top and bottom. This combined with 35 degree bag made for some interesting nights in 20 degree weather and some blowing snow storms during the day, move or die.

You sound like you're really counting the ounces. My favorites are either the Montbell UL Thermawrap jacket (synthetic), or the Montbell UL down jacket or parka (down). Both are great choices and much lighter than fleece.

Yes, I am down to the wire on weight.
    My goal is 8# but I know I will end up with another pound after I do a shake down unless I buy more cuben.

I Figure 8# with 7# of food = 15# so nice and light and considering that includes a bug net and a inflatable pad plus a hammock setup its very light.

Will carry water on the straps in front to help balance the load.

I used to have a thermawrap hooded jacket and I personally did not think it was very warm. Have a nano puff now and about the same.
    There is no comparison to the jacket I made with either, but it has 2.5 oz CS in the arms, 5oz CS on the chest and 3.6 oz CS on the back and collar and is NOT sewn through.

Has a detachable hood that is also filled with 3.6oz CS.

Might try to modify it to shave a few ounces.

A Montbell Ex Ultralight down jacket should be lighter then 7.75oz. Mine, a model from 2008, weighs 6.5oz in size L and the newer models should be slightly less. I used it on a PCT thru-hike and the northern 600 miles of the AT in Sept-Oct. I find it warm enough for all 3 season backpacking. Even when its snowing, I've found it too hot to hike in for very long so unless we are talking <20F, I'm not hiking in it. I normally wear it around camp and as a pillow stuffed in my clothing stuff sack. Could also use it if I was cold in my down quilt, but that's never happened. On a cold morning, I'll wear it until I'm about to start hiking and then I strip it off. If its really cold, I wear it for about 10-15minutes until my body starts to generate plenty of excess heat and I feel hot.

Its hard to judge if its not warm enough unless you state the temperature range you think you'll be hiking in (different starting/ending times on the AT require different gear or additional supplemental gear) and what other layers you are carrying as part of your clothing system. It also depends on how cold blooded you are. My typical 3 season clothing layers are: long pants, long sleeve hiking shirt, a lightweight baselayer pant and shirt, a rain jacket, a lightweight balaclava, MLD rain mitts, and the Montbell Ex. UL down Jacket. I've used it on long distance trips with lows down to ~20F with an additional wind chill; including snow on more then one occasion. When you are hiking, your body is generating a surprisingly amount of heat. In camp, I normally sit with my lower half inside my down quilt when its cold until I'm ready to go to sleep.

++ New Posts ++