WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Foothills Trail thru-hike

I am planning to do a Foothills Trail thru-hike the first week of November. Originally I planned to do this with my gf but she just started a new job and I know she will flake out.

So if any are interested in joining me please drop me a line. I am flexible with the dates. I picked the first week of Nov in hopes of timing the hike with fall color change.

Pace should be about 15 miles a day, flexible to suit hikers needs. I am up for any side trails to falls or sites. The trail is 77 miles long. I have hiked about 60 miles of it here and there but never a thru. In my limited experience it is the most beautiful trail I have been on hands down.

It is a magnificent trail. One of my favorites of sure. Enjoy your hike.

I plan to hike it in late Oct. or early Nov. I do not plan doing 15 miles a day as I plan to take my time and enjoy the side trails.

What kind of mileage / timetable do you have in mind? I was thinking the same thing about side trails actually.

If you start on a weekend, I will join for a Saturday and Sunday. I wish I could do the thru-hike, but I can't get that much time off.

Professional Wanderer and Seeker Left Hand's Avatar

I will be out for a thru starting October 18th. Taking my time and spending 8 days. Enjoy y'all!
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen from a bough without ever having
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

Left Hand will you journal? I wanted to do the FHT but thought that was to ambitious for me and am doing Ellicott Rock loop instead. Interested to see how you fare.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I will journal, although the question of whether I post as I go or summarize afterwards has yet to be determined. I will post a link, once my Trailjournals goes active. I do plan on taking it slow enough to take many pictures.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

Images

Default FHT Is great!

https://theosus1.wordpress.com/2014/...n-when-i-come/

The foothills trail is a great trail! Lots of variation and beauty, and lower elevations with plenty of water.
    Ive done most of it in little overnights, but have the middle section from Bad Creek to Hwy 178 left.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I have recently section hiked the foothills trail over 3 weekends over 5 days. I want to say that I hiked about 85+ miles with all side trails and a stupid .75 mile wrong turn I made.

The highs: Bald Knobb, Sassafras, Whitewaters Falls (upper and lower), camping near Lake Joacassee, hiking along the Chattooga river. Kings Creek Falls was cool.

The lows: Camping at Burrell's Ford after 19 mile day. I hate Burrell's Ford. I wish it didn't exist. I should have made it a 21 mile day and just set up camp close to nightfall, but it was that cold night where the smokies got all the snow fall. I was eager to get into my sleeping bag and go to sleep. Another low was the amount of old forest road hiking. That is about it.

I liked the trail and there were be portions of it I will definitely do again. When time permits, I will post a more detailed review. Another low was i lost my guide book on final day of hike, which I guess is the best possible time to lose a guide book if you must lose it.

Weekend 1 (2 days): Bad Creek to Hwy 178.
    Weekend 2 (2 days): Bad Creek to Lower Whitewater Falls to Oconee SP.
    Weekend 3 (1 day): Table Rock SP to Hwy 178.

I wold do more hiking around Table Rock SP. I would also do the Chattooga River portion and Whitewater falls again.

Images

I loved the chatooga river section. if you haven't done it - theres a loop from 107 southwest along the foothills trail, then north along the chatooga river trail, and then back to 107 that you can do overnight and stay at ellicot rock. Its a great section with lots of riverside views.

You did bad creek to oconee in 2 days? Ouch. Took us three to get from oconee to bad creek. We were worn out. Did it in march, nice and cold at night and cool in the morning. POURED rain on us the final day for about 3 hours.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    https://theosus1.wordpress.com/2014/...n-when-i-come/

The foothills trail is a great trail! Lots of variation and beauty, and lower elevations with plenty of water.
    Ive done most of it in little overnights, but have the middle section from Bad Creek to Hwy 178 left.
    I enjoyed reading your blog trail report. I could visualize some of the places you talked about after you passed the campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    . I would also do the Chattooga River portion and Whitewater falls again.
    If you have a shuttle or second car, you can do the Chattooga Trail from Hwy 28, which will join the FHT at Lick Log. FHT to road crossing at Burrells Ford. Follow the road north about a quarter mile the a trail kiosk on the right. The Chattooga Trail continues from there north past Ellicot Rock to Bull Pen road in NC. Great overnighter almost all along the river.

++ New Posts ++