WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default FKTs, records and other shenanigans

Just some random thoughts about the recent popularity of Fastest Known Times (FKTs)

http://www.pmags.com/fkts-records-and-other-shenanigans
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My most memorable hikes are my fastest ones.

Getting up before dawn and hiking stopping just after alpen glow really makes for some incredible scenery.
    I remember many times, hiking during these hours and passing tents with people inside missing the vivid colors going on.

So, those that say we don't stop and smell the roses are more dreamers than do-ers. IMO.

To some of us, hiking 12-15 miles a day is boring.
    We don't try to put you down for it, just not our style.
    So, try to reciprocate please.

Next question: Who sees more wildlife?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

I enjoyed that, Mags. Like a relaxing, fireside chat. (No! No time for that! Gotta make some miles!) Well done, and thanks.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    ...Next question: Who sees more wildlife?
    Go ahead, hijack the thread!

Now that's a good one. Some wildlife you're more likely to see by sitting still, some you're more likely to see when you're moving for 16 hours a day. Are you scanning the shores of a beaver pond, or sitting huddled in the corner of a shelter on the AT? I can recall stuff I've seen while resting (aquatic life in a pond, for example) that I wouldn't have seen while walking (a rattle snake hunting at night in the Mojave). And of course, you need to be looking. I think a case can be made both ways, just like the rest of Mags' essay.

I think Garlic hits it nicely- Different wildlife views (from a species point of view) require different techniques or even trips. I've seen some moose backpacking, but far more in a canoe. The opposite is true regarding black bear.

By far the most diverse encounters are from dusk to dawn. Even if you are not doing it to make miles, I think everyone should try a night hike just for the experience of it. Having the entire heavens descend upon you as you walk through a cloud of firefly's on a grassy southern bald is an experience I would not have run across if I wasn't "pushing miles".

Similarly- While I know many a hiker may spend the night at some high place and marvel at the nighttime view, walking a ridge in the dark or taking in that scenic overlook in the dark is a soul-expanding experience not to be missed. Even the crappiest of overlooks takes on a new dimension and vastness of space when viewed through the limitless expanse of the darkness.

There are many things both groups can miss. But there are many experiences to be had when traveling or taking a break during "non-traditional" hiking hours. If nothing else, the shear volume of time spent outside of "camp" increases your odds of stumbling across the magnificent.

A surprising fact; While many a flower smells sweet during the day, just as many a "rose" smells sweetest at night, or as the first light of day melts the dew and carries the sweet perfume away with the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Just some random thoughts about the recent popularity of Fastest Known Times (FKTs)

http://www.pmags.com/fkts-records-and-other-shenanigans
    I think the controversy comes into play when folks try to group the two activities into being the same thing, to my way of thinking their completely different...they even have different names. One is traditionally called hiking or backpacking, the other newer activity is called trail running. Once you cross over to a time frame where by the intent is to achieve the fastest known time or set a record, I think you cross over into the realm of trail running (even if you walk much of it) it no longer is traditional backpacker, nothing wrong with this at all, but again they're two different sports/activities. I think once we separate the two there'll be less conversations about which is better. There is no better to me...completely different animals altogether, again nothin' wrong with that, it is what it is.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've tried to stay out of the controversy, and stay out of the way of the runners. As long as the runners can be patient with my clumsy attempts to let them pass, I'll continue to plod along at my old man's pace. If they start getting rude because my very presence is forcing them to break stride, then I'll resort to the "if you're in such a gosh-darned hurry, why are you walking?" line, but that's vanishingly rare. Hikers are still a pretty polite bunch. (If this FKT thing starts getting really competitive, that may well change. I surely hope not! I'd hate to be elbowed aside by a speed demon.)

In any case, I see my time in the woods as a rare opportunity to forgo competition. I see enough competition in the workplace, thank you very much. People who have survived a couple of competitive university admission processes followed by an equally competitive hiring process often don't much change their habits once they've got the job.

I've hiked at dawn and twilight. It's great. I wouldn't have seen this 270 degre view if I hadn't started up the mountain while it was still dark. (It's unlawful to camp at that elevation.)

Wittenberg in the morning by ke9tv, on Flickr
    The photo can't convey the dawn chorus - including the weird asthmatic fluting of the Bicknell Thrush. Nor can it transmit the scent of the balsam that surrounded me - another scent that arises the strongest as the dew is lifting from the trees.

But I didn't need to speed-hike to get that experience, which is good, because (at my current level of training) I can't. Not in that terrain. There was about 2500 feet of elevation gain between my campsite and that ledge. I'm astonished when I see people running up slopes that I climb. (Not walk - climb. Hands-and-feet rock scrambles.)

So I'll stop, and putter around with writing or photography, and maybe have a cup of tea or even a nap. I'll check out some of the unmaintained trails that aren't on the map, just to see where they go. And I'll shoulder my pack and hike on. Maybe I'll make eight miles to your 24. Does it matter? Not to me, it doesn't! I'm having fun, and recharging my energy, and that's why I do it. Just try not to step on me as you go by, and I'll try not to trip you.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Speed differs with age, weight, current condition. I think not matter how fast one is going viva the feet one is not going to miss a whole lot over a lifetime of hiking.
    I missed years of hiking when my middle son was extermely ill as in terminal. Do I think I missed anything from a hiking prospective. No. When I was young I got go the LT in a matter of weeks. Now its over a month and my oldest is none too pleased I don't shortcut more up North. I saw just as much in the weeks as in the 45 days.
    Just saying its all about total time in the woods. Also, to really see wildlife I think staying up at night and getting the night vision is when I've seen the most four legged wildlife. Many animals never move during daylight hours.

And the FKT is not always going to be the fastest time. Wonder what Ward Leonards quickest trip up and down the Long Trail maybe. Pretty sure I seen him mindlessly flying by up North back in his early hiking days.
    Last edited by lemon b; 08-29-2014 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    In any case, I see my time in the woods as a rare opportunity to forgo competition.
    This. Which happens to be in line with what Benton MacKaye had in mind for the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I enjoyed that, Mags. Like a relaxing, fireside chat. (No! No time for that! Gotta make some miles!) Well done, and thanks.
    That was one of the the traits I admired about Scott Williams when I've seen him on speed record hikes. Even though we knew what he was after and even though he was obviously not into dilly dallying around in his routine I still found him cordial, not having a stressed impatient way about himself, still stopping to occasionally chat for a moment with others, even explaining his trail nutrition/making nutritional bars. At those times, I also strongly suspected(knew) he had the capability of doing a faster yo yo or attaining a faster speed record. IMHO, at those times I could see him shaving off at least another 2-3 days from his times.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Many, many of my PCT hiking days started at 3:00 AM - and not just in the desert. One morning I talked Garbanz (WB name) and another hiker into a 2:45 AM start. It was a great morning.

I like hiking at night, a lot, and I like to cover a lot of miles. The only person I don't mind dallying with is my wife. On our hikes, she sets the pace and 15 miles is a huge day.

Re: Scott Williams - I somehow missed him but most of the hikers I was hiking around saw him pass through and they all commented on how he'd stop and chat for a few minutes, even though he was trying to break his own record. That's the definition of cool right there.

Images

​Source: Appalachian Trailway News 1939 Vol. 1, No. 1

Here are a few excerpts from an interesting article from the first edition of the ATN. Little did they know what was to come…​​

Appalachian Trail Records
    Stunt hikes seem to be of three kinds: ‘Twenty-four hour hikes,’ ‘highest point of each state’ and Appalachian Trail travel. In years past some question was raised as to the propriety of these exploits. Now these feats are viewed with more complacency. The trail conference, moreover, is much indebted to the people who have made extended trips over the Trail. Most of them have forwarded careful and valuable observations.
    Probably the single most outstanding trip over the Appalachian Trail was that made in 1936 by C. Bradford and Raymond Mitchell of Fair Haven (sic), Massachusetts. Between May 6 and June 29 these brothers traveled from Mt. Oglethorpe to Skyland in the Shenandoah National Park, a distance of 850 milers. A knee disability prevented what probably would have been the initial covering of the entire Appalachian Trail in one continuous trip. The story of the adventures of the Mitchell brothers appeared in The Washington Star, July 26, 1936.
    ………
    As is known, Chairman Avery’s trips have taken him the length of the Trail. His journeys began in 1927 and were completed in the fall of 1935 on Saddleback, where a snow storm almost blew the measuring wheel from the Trail. His trips, as he points out, are not comparable in any way to the extended Trail travel of these other record trips in that they were primarily for trail inspection and obtaining guidebook data. Many were of short duration and facilitated in various ways. It is of interest, however, to note that his records show that some 149 days were devoted to covering the entire route.
    Probably at some time in the not too distant future, some traveler will cover the entire route in record time. This, however, will probably afford little pleasure or little of the real rewards of the route. The strain of adhering to a schedule, and the difficulties caused by delays due to bad weather or other mishaps are more wearing than the physical exertion along the route. Most satisfactory is traveling short sections, say for two weeks, with the prospect of the variety of each sections travel. Herein lies the charm of the route with all its varying geological and botanical surroundings.

That last paragraph was clearly written before HYOH was conceived.

Thanks for sharing. This was interesting.

++ New Posts ++