Default hike cancelled by Wounded Warrior event?

After having my fourth or fifth hike this season cancelled by a Wounded Warrior sponsored hunt, including one out of town and rather pricey for me hike, I decided to dig a little. In my experience events closing sections of state parks and state forests are not usually posted on the state park or forest website. I dug a little and came up with the following web site:

http://tlhfor013.doacs.state.fl.us/oof

Events anywhere in Florida, including on federal land, are supposed to be posted. Of course I can't guarantee the event will be posted, but I will be sure to at least check here before planning any out of town hikes as those aren't just frustrating to have cancelled, but also a bite out of my budget. Not all events result in an area closure, but some will.

Please understand, I am not opposed to giving disabled veterans or disabled people in general a break, I just want to be able to make plans and thought a few of you might also.

EDT: It does not appear that the event that canceled my hike this past weekend was posted. I am sending an email to the Wounded Warrior organization in hopes of getting more info.
    Last edited by perrymk; 01-12-2015 at 07:10.

I don't think it's right to close a portion of a state Park or forest so they can have their event, the Wounded Warrior events should be held along side the every day hiker/user of the public lands.

Why would they want to, Isn't Re-socializing back into public part of the counseling the veterans receive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I don't think it's right to close a portion of a state Park or forest so they can have their event, the Wounded Warrior events should be held along side the every day hiker/user of the public lands.

Why would they want to, Isn't Re-socializing back into public part of the counseling the veterans receive.
    Well it seems that the particular reason to close a park would be this --

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    ...Wounded Warrior sponsored hunt, ...
    Seems prudent and logical to me. But I would certainly like to have knowledge of a park closing for an event just so I could plan accordingly.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I heard back from the Wounded Warrior organization. Not the least bit helpful, no list of upcoming events or where events are posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Well it seems that the particular reason to close a park would be this -- (controlled hunt)

Seems prudent and logical to me. But I would certainly like to have knowledge of a park closing for an event just so I could plan accordingly.
    Given there are approximately 1,000 people who are accidentally wounded or killed in North America annually (International Hunter Education Association), it probably does make some sense to close off public lands for these kinds of events. However, there really should be ample notice so people using the park(s) for less lethal pursuits can make other plans.

This is part of Florida's Operation Outdoor Freedom project. Seems like Florida's Forest Service should provide the notification. Couple of guys listed who are coordinators for the program in the article.

I'm not sure the link posted but the article is here http://farmflavor.com/us-ag/florida/...d-vets-nature/
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The whole thing is a bit foreign to me- nothing in the Midwest is ever closed for hunting.
    If anyone hunting should trigger a closure, I would not expect trained soldiers to be the reason.
    I would think it's all the "wegular" Elmer Fuds I see out chasing wabbits who should be quarantined in their own area they are dangerous folks.

Sorry Perry- definitely a weird thing to run into- the only time I would expect closure of public lands is for a fire or other natural disaster.

Yeah I wouldn't have expected a large-scale closure for groups. I got married in a state park. We were not allowed to close off the area. Had a guy fishing on the lake in the background. Sometimes parks have picnic areas for permit but not for the pavilion where we held the ceremony. There really should be some public notice about closures, some of those events occur multiday.

When the Green Mt National Forest in VT closed due to Hurricane Irene, the Forest Supervisor issued a letter of closure. That's required by law. Maybe there was a notice buried somewhere? Maybe send an email to the offices of the program directors and ask them whether the notification is required and where do they post it. Certainly an irritating situation, as it sounds like you would be willing to check if somebody would jsut put the notification some place find-able.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The whole thing is a bit foreign to me- nothing in the Midwest is ever closed for hunting.
    If anyone hunting should trigger a closure, I would not expect trained soldiers to be the reason.
    I would think it's all the "wegular" Elmer Fuds I see out chasing wabbits who should be quarantined in their own area they are dangerous folks.

Sorry Perry- definitely a weird thing to run into- the only time I would expect closure of public lands is for a fire or other natural disaster.
    These closings are rather commonplace apparently all over the US, usually closing a state park for a day, perhaps two. In Indiana for example Evans Creek park was closed over a thanksgiving weekend for a controlled hunt for the Wounded Warriors. There are a lot of others if you google "state parks closed for controlled hunts". The closure lengths and dates vary.

I was wondering about the mention of parks. That makes more sense now, some of these are deer population control hunts in parks. It is a good idea to close a park for that.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I was wondering about the mention of parks. That makes more sense now, some of these are deer population control hunts in parks. It is a good idea to close a park for that.
    They Cull in my area as well. There is one County Park that does close for Regatta (Crew) when the Women's Olympic team is practicing, and fishing is closed...that kinda chapped my nuts when I was taking my kid fishing one day, but I understand why they do it, just don't agree with closing a people funded park without notice...but that's already been addressed.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Joe .30-06-pack surely puts the fear of God in me! The way the closure was handled was a little strange, though.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

There would seem to be a lack of communication between the different public agencies in Florida.

The Florida Trail uses right of way on land owned my many different government agencies from local to federal; Florida State Parks, Florida State Reserves, Water Management Districts, Florida State Forests, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, National Forests, National Preserves, National Parks, U.S. Department of Defense and so on.

There is NO Hunting on Florida State Parks or National Parks in Florida, although most Florida State Parks do contract with licensed trappers to remove feral hogs.

All hunting on public lands (and some private lands) is regulated and managed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC). FWC sets the rules for when trails are open and when and where camping is allowed during hunt seasons. Most always this is done as a Wildlife Management Area if the land is FWC owned or not.

The lead agency for the Florida National Scenic Trail is the USDA Forest Service (Unlike the AT which is The National Park Service). To add to confusion "The Florida Trail" and orange blazes also refer to more than a dozen other trails managed by local clubs on public lands, some connect to the FNST some do not.

There are very few if any times that I'm aware of that the FWC totally closes the FNST because of hunting. Those rules are spelled out in the WMA brochures (http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures).

The FWC also already operates Mobility Impaired Quota hunts on many WMA's. (http://myfwc.com/license/accessibili...mpaired-quota/)

Here are some examples of rules along the Florida Trail during hunt season set by FWC as Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

Ocala National Forest is also Ocala WMA
    Public Access and Vehicles: 5) A marked trail called the Florida Trail traverses the area. This trail is open to hikers throughout the year.
    Camping: 2) During the general gun season, camping is prohibited, except in designated campgrounds and Juniper Prairie Wilderness.

Seminole Ranch Conservation Area (owned by St Johns Water Management District) becomes Seminole Ranch WMA
    Camping: Camping is allowed only at the designated through-trail campsite along the Florida Trail provided that access to the area is by the Florida Trail.

Tosohatchee State Reserve is also Tosohatchee WMA
    Camping: 1) During hunting periods, camping is allowed only by through hikers and only at the designated through-trail campsites along the Florida
    Trail.

Three Lakes WMA is owned by the FWC
    Daily-use Permit Information: persons through-hiking on the Florida Trail and persons exempt from the management area permit requirement, are exempt from this permit requirement for recreational uses other than hunting.
    Public Access and Vehicles: 2) All users shall enter and exit the area through designated entrances except persons through-hiking on the Florida Trail. 8) A marked footpath called the Florida Trail traverses the area. This trail is open to hikers throughout the year.

My point is that hunting does not usually shut down the Florida Trail (although it may restrict camping areas) as long as the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is setting the rules. They have a history of going out of the way to accommodate FNST users.

I'd trust a wounded veteran with a firearm along any trail to know safe gun handling (know your target). Florida Forest Service should have worked with the Game Commission to keep state lands open to hikers during the Outdoor Freedom events (some are not even on State Forest lands).

If they absolutely had to close the trail, notification should have been made to the Florida Trail Association to post on it's Trail Closures and Notices
    https://www.floridatrail.org/fnst/closures-and-notices/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Many Georgia state parks close for a couple of days each hunting season for thinning hunts. I am pretty sure it is posted on each park's web site for weeks ahead of time.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Given there are approximately 1,000 people who are accidentally wounded or killed in North America annually (International Hunter Education Association), it probably does make some sense to close off public lands for these kinds of events. However, there really should be ample notice so people using the park(s) for less lethal pursuits can make other plans.
    Your statistics are misleading. We're discussing hunting in a state park and you quote international statistics.

I like these statistics instead: http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/IIR...istics2013.pdf all 2010 statistics.

There are approximately 300,000,000 firearms in the US and there were 606 unintentional fatalities in 2010.

You are 3 times more likely to be killed by "Natural or Environmental Factors" (1576 fatalities) like what you're exposed to when you're out hiking,
    then add Transportation fatalities (33,687), like driving to and from the trail (not to mention riding with the drunk shuttler that picked you up),
    and fatal Falls (26,009) like falling off a cliff (you just had to sit on the edge of McAfee Knob for that picture),
    and being killed when Struck by an Object (788) like that widow maker you camped under,
    and you're up to about a 40% chance of dying while hiking.

Maybe we should all just stay home.

(See how this statistic thing works?)
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Your statistics are misleading. We're discussing hunting in a state park and you quote international statistics.

I like these statistics instead: http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/IIR...istics2013.pdf all 2010 statistics.

There are approximately 300,000,000 firearms in the US and there were 606 unintentional fatalities in 2010.

You are 3 times more likely to be killed by "Natural or Environmental Factors" (1576 fatalities) like what you're exposed to when you're out hiking,
    then add Transportation fatalities (33,687), like driving to and from the trail (not to mention riding with the drunk shuttler that picked you up),
    and fatal Falls (26,009) like falling off a cliff (you just had to sit on the edge of McAfee Knob for that picture),
    and being killed when Struck by an Object (788) like that widow maker you camped under,

Stay Home?!?! Statistically, isn't home the place that you're most likely to die?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

To clarify, I used a hunting safety/education advocacy group in North America (US and Canada), which cited both injury and fatalities specifically from hunting activities between the two nations to statistically promote hunter safety education. Your preference is for a firearm trade group that only looks at firearm fatalities in the US that are not all hunting related, then compares them with motor vehicle accidents and other fatality stats that have no relationship with hunting to statistically promote the relative safety of firearms.

My intent wasn't a slam against hunters, or firearms for that matter, it was to provide more insight to why public lands were being closed for culling or thinning "hunts". The injury rate being far higher than fatality rates in that activity (much as it is in automobile accidents for example). Couple that with people who do not approve of these events trying to disrupt these herd thinning activities, the reasons for closing public land become pretty clear. One doesn't have to agree with the closure of public lands for these events, but understanding the reasons for these closures are important.

Enjoy your time at home

There are no "deer thinning" hunts in Florida. The FWC's "White-tailed Deer Management Program" uses scientific research, public preference surveys and public meetings to decide what seasons and harvests should be each year. They implement or adjust antler regulations and dates and numbers of deer harvested to specific areas of the state.

The Florida Trail is not closed for any "deer thinning".

There is no hunting in Florida State Parks.

The Florida Trail is not closed for hunting in state parks.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm sure there was just some mis- communication. Has happened to all of us. I'm sure with a lotta different groups. With wounded warrior I might have asked if there was anything I could do to help. The price of our freedom has cost many. Who was that individual who was going to hike with Earl on his thru? He gave his life for our freedom. Any way if my plans for a day are changed to help out wounded troopers it is certainly something which would not bother me since I have the freedom to travel to a different spot.

Usually what changes my plans is the weather.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Stay Home?!?! Statistically, isn't home the place that you're most likely to die?
    Statistically 70% of accidents happen within 10 miles of home. This is why I moved.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++